Cardio in a time of COVID.

Just like many others, my gym has shuttered its doors to help stave the spread of COVID-19.
I've been walking/jogging virtually every day for the last six months.
It's SNOWING/RAINING and FREEZING cold here.

Does anyone have a good cardio alternative they can suggest for me to do indoors until the Spring actually Springs and the weather warms up a bit?

Much love and thanks. Stay safe and healthy.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,482 Member
    Actually FREEZING is good because you have to use more energy to keep the body warm. When I lived in VA, I just bundled up and bought clothes that were rain resistant. Buckle up. Just do it outside.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • RainRedfield
    RainRedfield Posts: 597 Member
    Guess I'll dig out some gloves and go for it.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    How cold is it? I live in Minneapolis, MN and this time of year a hat, gloves, and keeping my body covered with a fleecy pullover and some tights does me pretty good. I usually feel cold for the first half mile to mile or so, but after the warm-up I'm good.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Leslie Sansome walk start home or other aerobic video. Dont let the name fool you, you can get quite a vigorous workout.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Yeah, just dress for it and get out there.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I do workout videos every day...
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Bundle up in layers and get outside.

• midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Go online and look on youtube for "cardio workouts". If you have space to do them, they can be helpful.I've been doing workouts in our cold, dirty garage, but it doesn't take long to get warmed up.
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    the peloton app is AMAZING - all types of cardio, running, walking, HIIT, yoga
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    I've been clearing out the conservatory today and found the skipping rope, it's been years so I reckon that'll do it.

I'll try for 2 mins in the morning, get fed up at tripping over it then go for a run 😆
  • RainRedfield
    RainRedfield Posts: 597 Member
    How cold is it? I live in Minneapolis, MN and this time of year a hat, gloves, and keeping my body covered with a fleecy pullover and some tights does me pretty good. I usually feel cold for the first half mile to mile or so, but after the warm-up I'm good.

It's been between 30 and 42 at the times I can walk.
  • Tausi
    Tausi Posts: 35 Member
    Skipping!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

It's about that temperature here right now. I am pretty cold-natured and I'm good as long as I've covered up my ears, have a double-layer on top, and have some gloves on. Some people do a quick warm-up inside before heading out (think a couple minutes of jumping jacks, side hops, etc) before they head out and report that helps.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Jumping rope is awesome but check out the local smaller gyms in your area. Quite a few of mine are posting free workouts via their social media and YouTube. Peloton is offering free 90 days as well.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Leslie Sansome walk start home or other aerobic video. Dont let the name fool you, you can get quite a vigorous workout.

I like the simplicity of her workouts. I also find that she includes a lot of lateral movement which has helped better support my running. Sometimes I’ll do one of her 15 minute videos as a warm up before a run. If really helps.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member

It's about that temperature here right now. I am pretty cold-natured and I'm good as long as I've covered up my ears, have a double-layer on top, and have some gloves on. Some people do a quick warm-up inside before heading out (think a couple minutes of jumping jacks, side hops, etc) before they head out and report that helps.

Drink a hot cup of tea right before you leave.
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    Burpees
  • tryingagain5
    tryingagain5 Posts: 1,037 Member
    a9y9vpsdf9wq.jpg

Here's a jumping jack workout my trainer made for me. It takes me about 20 minutes to do it.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I'm also treadmill walking during our virtual meetings.