Have the Coronavirus or think you do?

Options
TJ_in_MA
TJ_in_MA Posts: 28 Member
I'm on day 4 of being sick. Doctors office won't test unless real serious symptoms but I'm almost certain to have it based upon how i am feeling. To me this feels like having a moderate flu with a head cold. Chills, congestion, slight headaches, and low grade fever. No dry cough as many report, and breathing not too affected...and hopefully stays that way. Overall a bit of a roller-coaster of feeling a bit better then feeling worse.

Anyone else out there with symptoms and how are you doing?

I miss my almost daily workouts! I normally do work out at home but I don't want to take any energy away from my body fighting this thing.

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,917 Member
    Options
    I believe I heard that in the state of NY anyway, they are asking people to not get tested unless you are sick enough that you'd need to go to the hospital. This preserves PPE (personal protective equipment) which as we know is in short supply.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/22/well/what-if-i-have-coronavirus.html

...How should we care for people at home who have symptoms or have tested positive for the virus?

Many people who have the coronavirus will not stay in a hospital and will be isolated at home. If you have all of the symptoms of the virus but haven’t been tested, you should assume you have it and still take precautions.

Caring for someone with mild to moderate symptoms of the coronavirus is similar to caring for someone with the flu. Give them supportive care, fluids, soups and Tylenol, and have them take their temperature regularly. If a person is so sick or weak that he or she can’t eat, drink or go to the bathroom, call a doctor. The World Health Organization has guidelines on home care for patients with suspected or confirmed cases of the coronavirus.

Should I take special precautions?

Yes! The patient should be confined to a separate room with no or minimal contact with the rest of the household (including pets), and should use a separate bathroom if possible. Most of the time, a sick person will feel miserable, but he or she can pick up food trays left at the door and sanitize a shared bathroom after using it. (This may not be the case with young children.) If you have masks at home, both patient and caregiver should wear them when in contact with each other.

Make sure that shared spaces in the home have good airflow by turning on an air-conditioner or opening a window. Don’t share dishes, towels or bedding with a sick person.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Yes on the NY... No tests unless you are really sick.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,135 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I believe I heard that in the state of NY anyway, they are asking people to not get tested unless you are sick enough that you'd need to go to the hospital. This preserves PPE (personal protective equipment) which as we know is in short supply.

Testing capacity in Belgium is limited (specifically testing kits and reagents are in short supply), so here they'll simply refuse to test you if you don't fit the criteria. At this moment that means only those admitted to hospital due to severe symptoms are being tested, as well as health care professionals.

So yeah, self isolation is the only option here too. I didn't even bother to call my doctor, I'm working from home anyway for the next few weeks and my symptoms weren't severe enough to even be examined by a doctor.
    The number of infections is undoubtedly much higher than the number of confirmed cases we see in the news!
  • AriesFL
    AriesFL Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    My old room mate has it. Luckily she is getting better.
  • slessofme
    slessofme Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure my oldest child had it about a month ago. A few days of elevated temp (no true fever though), headache, body aches, extremely sore throat. Then the dry cough showed up and stuck around for probably 4 or 5 days. Similar to others, he complained about a tightness in his chest. It wasn't severe but it was noticable.
  • DecadeDuchess
    DecadeDuchess Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Since you aren't coughing & don't have shortness of breath, I doubt that you've it. However you might've a cold or worse, the flu & thus it's plausibly best, to take the same precautions because being this sick with something else, now makes you 1 of the venerable.
  • TJ_in_MA
    TJ_in_MA Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I do feel like my breathing is beginning to get compromised. Not surprised as this is a hallmark of the virus.
  • DecadeDuchess
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Since you aren't coughing & don't have shortness of breath, I doubt that you've it. However you might've a cold or worse, the flu & thus it's plausibly best, to take the same precautions because being this sick with something else, now makes you 1 of the venerable.

You don't need coughing and shortness of breath to have it.

True, there're people whom've it yet aren't experiencing any symptoms. That's why I said doubt, though since he's experiencing symptoms, of some other types of illnesses.

My belief was that if he's sick with a cold or flu & this, it'd be effecting him.
  • DecadeDuchess
    Options
    TJ_in_MA wrote: »
    I do feel like my breathing is beginning to get compromised. Not surprised as this is a hallmark of the virus.

I'd suggest calling your doctor or the hospital, to've them evaluate if you should stay home or seek medical attention.
  • DecadeDuchess
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

It's going to take a whole lot more than a flu bug for me to be regarded as anything close to 'venerable'.

Plausibly but I'd guess that'ving anything that'd compromise the immune system, might make anyone potentially venerable. We're now seeing supposedly healthy young people, dying of this.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    TJ_in_MA wrote: »

I'd suggest calling your doctor or the hospital, to've them evaluate if you should stay home or seek medical attention.

I agree; call and ask.

Do you live by yourself or is someone with you?

Feel better! 💕
  • that_night_in_paris
    that_night_in_paris Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Can men get hot flashes? I feel weird today yo. And my head is throbbing. It's reminiscent of those Boone's Farm hangovers I had in middle school.