Losing weight if you have eating disorder tendencies?

Hey guys, I’m wondering if anyone has any experience with this or knows any good advice. I’ve struggled with disordered eating habits for a while (excessive restriction, binging, purging etc) and it’s pretty easy for me to slip back into serious self-loathing and self-abuse when it comes to my diet. But I have gained a lot of weight recently and am close to entering the overweight category so I would like to lose about 20 pounds. Is it possible to lose weight effectively without slipping back into bad habits?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    I agree with the suggestions to get professional help. If you are in the US, many states are allowing more tele-health these days.

I'm looking into that for myself, but I'm with the VA, so my resources may not be applicable to you.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I agree with the suggestions to get professional help. If you are in the US, many states are allowing more tele-health these days.

I'm looking into that for myself, but I'm with the VA, so my resources may not be applicable to you.

In a win for what is essentially socialized medicine, health care through the Veterans Administration, I emailed my psychiatrist yesterday requesting a consult, got a call from Behavioral Health today, and have a tele-health appointment for next Tuesday.
  • go52182
    go52182 Posts: 133 Member
    @JellyyBeanz I sent a private message to you. :smile:
  • go52182
    go52182 Posts: 133 Member
    Someone flagged me because I wanted to talk to the OP in private? What is wrong with this community?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    go52182 wrote: »
    Someone flagged me because I wanted to talk to the OP in private? What is wrong with this community?

I wouldn't take it personally. People who are trying to sell MLM goods or personal services are notorious for asking OPs to PM them or sending PMs. Someone probably mistakenly thought you were trying to do something in that vein.