Is it rude to work out in my second floor condo?

I’m a group ex instructor and unfortunately, all of the gyms around here are closed down because of the plague that shall not be named. I need to make sure I maintain my current level of fitness - but I feel awful for the little 94 year old lady who lives in the condo below me.

Now, I’m always very mindful of this because I was a first floor dweller a few years back and the girl above me would jump around like a kangaroo. I would hear every step. It would sound like she was coming through the ceiling. Then again, these were very poorly built condos.

I’m not sure what the noise level is in the place I’m currently at, but I have to bite the bullet and start working out at home. I’m sure there are a lot of people doing the same thing right now, but I feel awful about it. Am I being totally rude by doing this? Maybe I should let her know it’s going to be a 4-5 x’s a week occurrence? I always work out late morning/early afternoon - never at night. And she never leaves the house so I can’t wait for when she’s out.

For reference, I do Cathe Friedrich workouts, so pretty high impact/intensity most days.

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    I agree just keep it during reasonable hours. Don't get me wrong, it might still annoy the heck out of her, but when you live in apartments dealing with other people's day to day lives is part of the deal. I've had an upstairs neighbor who jumped around a lot up there and sometimes drove me nuts, but I still work out myself and hope it doesn't annoy my downstairs neighbor too much.

It's really nice that your concerned though! If you naturally run into her on occasion, maybe mention it next time you do, like "now that the gyms are closed, I'm working out here now. Hope it hasn't disturbed you too much".
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    It’s very sweet to be so considerate with your neighbor. I agree to talk to her and let her know. Maybe even offer to pick up essentials from the store for her so that she doesn’t have to go out. With as unpredictable as some of the store shelves are, she might have items she really needs.
  • VictorSmashes
    VictorSmashes Posts: 173 Member
    It's nice to consider your neighbor. I just don't think it's rude to do your normal routine, including working out, in a second floor apartment, as long as it's in waking hours. It is not your fault and it is not her fault. Not everyone has the luxury of an apartment without upstairs/downstairs neighbors, however the construction of the building, creaking of floors, etc. is not really your concern.

That being said, you aren't owed her anything (in terms of buying her groceries, gifts. etc), but if you feel so obliged it would be a fair exchange. You can ask her what hours work best for her, but don't allude that you can work around her schedule.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Some workouts are much stompier than others. I would do a low impact workout at hours of the day when most people are not sleeping and I would not blast my music.
  • MissMarvette
    MissMarvette Posts: 1 Member
    :) Well nothing like a friendly well-being check and a bottle of water. Let her know that you'll be home (quarantined) and give her your number for safety precautions. I'm sure she'll appreciate the gesture ;)