Full time college/uni students: How often do you workout?

Options
I'm not sure if working out 6 days week is sustainable, especially with my schedule. Do you get your workout done first thing in the morning or after you get home?

Replies

• hloftin32
    hloftin32 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have 7:30am classes so I do it later in the evening because I refuse to get up any earlier than that!! :)
  • LittleVikki
    LittleVikki Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I find it really hard to find time to workout but when I do find the time it's usually when I get home :)
  • souki19
    Options
    well i am a fulltime college student and i work more than 30 hours a week. so i usually don't have time in the evening to go workout, what i started doing is waking up at 6 am (sometimes 5 am) 6 times a week, it is not easy but it is doable :)
    hope this helps
  • GaiaGirl1992
    GaiaGirl1992 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    as soon as my classes are over! I'm up between 7am and noon during the week, so I go to my dorm/the gym and work out as soon as I'm done, and I don't have excuses to not go!
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Six to seven days a week.
  • MoonIite
    MoonIite Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    @ tchristine24

Holy crap, how do you manage that?
  • szczepj
    szczepj Posts: 422
    Options
    I work out six days a week for at least an hour. Usually after class, but On some days before.
  • john2955
    Options
    I also an a full time student majoring in mathematics while working 20 hours a week. I just eat healthier and reduce my calorie intake while working out less as a trade off. So i only work out 90 minutes a week at night.
  • campb2ti
    campb2ti Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I have class, work plus my internship so I just try to get in 3 days a week of between 1/2 -1 hr workouts and like everyone else said just watch what i eat
  • chubiD
    chubiD Posts: 260
    Options
    My goal for this semester is to work out three times a week in the mornings (on the days I have no morning classes to attend to) and then at least once on weekends (like going for a walk/run with my boyfriend or some friend, or rollerblading). This way, I give my body some days to rest... I can't afford to be super tired everyday! :S
  • fozziewaca
    Options
    I'm a full-time student but only go to class 2 evenings a week - on those days, I workout before class. The rest of the week I work in the morning and typically exercise afterwards (with Sunday as my off day). My workouts are usually 30 minutes to 1 hour.

It's sustainable, but listen to your body when it needs rest.
  • inlander
    inlander Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I'm a full-time law student and I make time to do a work-out DVD every night. Totally doable. :)
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    @ tchristine24

Holy crap, how do you manage that?

I'm lucky enough to have a really good schedule this semester! But I didn't last year at all - class all day four days a week. What works for me is coming home and putting on my workout clothes right away and leaving right away, instead of waiting until you're all settled in for the night. The weekend is the toughest for me, but I try!
  • 06MustangGT
    Options
    I go to school full time and work 30 hours a week so I can relate. I tend to lift later on around 6:30pm. At first it may seem like a lot because you're drained from the day but eventually your body adjusts. Just stick with whenever time you can best fit it in. Eventually it just becomes second nature. However regardless of time I recommend you have a good pre workout snack or shake an hour or so before you lift if you can tolerate that. Some people can some people can't but it helps with the energy boost.
  • Jesung
    Jesung Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I lift 3 times a week, 1~1.5 hours at a time
    No cardio, I'd rather eat less lol
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I've been full time close to home (half a mile literally) so had time to go riding after college most days.
    BUT it's all about to change in 2 weeks. I'll be travelling to and from Uni (55 miles of motorway) so will need to leave ultra early.. and get back as late as 7pm some nights.. with winter on it's way I've had to accept riding will be 3 days a week. So am looking at the Uni gym for at least 2-3 days a week. I haven't worked out in a gym for about 15 years honestly so I'm dreading it a bit but even if I just use the bikes it's better than nothing.. lol I have a few gaps in classes so am hoping to get time in then, or maybe before classes start as have a day of 11am start. Depends on the workload fluctuating but at least it can be when I'm not (if i'm not) snowed under with work.
    I'm not working but have 3 children and as said my horse. :glasses:
    Time will tell.. but I DO want to keep active.
  • melholden10
    Options
    I'm a full time vet student and so am in uni or in the teaching hospitals for a full day 5 days a week plus on call and i still manage to work out 9 times a week, i swim or run in the mornings have rugby matches weds and sun afternoons plus training twice a week and a long run for my marathon training at the weekend and still have time to have a social life its all about the organisation!
  • cgfol1
    cgfol1 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I have full time classes on Monday and Tuesday, and I work Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.
    On Monday, Wednesday and Friday I do a 6 am, hour long yoga class.
    The other days I walk in the evening for an hour.
    On Sat I do a yoga class, plus I walk there and back (3.4 round trip so approx. 2.11miles), and Sunday is rest day
    I also get incidental exercise when I walk to and from the train station (1.99miles)
    You can always make it work.
  • smkcx♥
    smkcx♥ Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I only work out 2 days a week, which is sad. but I dont really have a lot of time. I have to drive 30 miles to the college, not to mention the 23 mile detour I have to take my son to the babysitters -- which means im up and gone by 9:00 at the latest, my first class starts at 11am and I get out at 7:15pm. I get home around 9:30ish and im exhausted.

Im thinking of incorperating a nice walk between my classes, instead of driving, just walk. because I do have a nice gap before my last class, i usually use that time to catch up on homework, but I figure I can do that when I get home, if i work out at night, i can't sleep.
  • brittg7
    brittg7 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    i have 18 units, 2 jobs and i student teach twice a week and i typically workout 6 days a week. i lift 4-5 days a week, cardio every day alternating between running and other activities. You get used to it and it becomes something you WANT and HAVE to do each day. i feel gross if i do not workout so i make time, even if it is after my night class like on mondays: i go 8am-940pm at night then hit the gym for cardio and weights. you can do anything you just have to make time and schedule it very well :) but i really do think it is manageable!!! :)