Price Gouging?

Options
ReenieHJ
ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
I stopped by the store today to see if they had bread on the shelf. They were well-stocked so I picked up a couple. I usually go to the bread outlet store and buy them for 1.79 a loaf but since they're closed now I figured I'd have to buy them at regular price. The package said suggested retail price 3.99. But when I got home I saw on the receipt they're 4.99 a loaf?? Plus they had avocados on sale for .99 in the flyer but I saw a sign saying they were 1.99. So I picked up one because I didn't know what they cost. The cashier charged me 2.49 so I questioned her; she said the sign said 1.99. So I said, yes, but this week they're supposed to be on sale for .99, which she found in the flyer to be true. So she asked someone else and they said they're not honoring sale prices. She did charge me the .99 finally.

Really??? Is anyone else finding this in their locality?? And how can any store, in good conscience, do this??

This store has always been my small town go-to store but I'm rethinking my loyalty now. :( I'll be going on Sunday to do my weekly shopping and will bring my receipt and question them on the bread. Grrrr

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    Massachusetts isn't as clear but here it is: https://www.natlawreview.com/article/update-price-gouging-massachusetts

I haven't seen price gouging at Shaw's, Walmart, Market Basket or Whole Foods.

Unavailability, yes, price gouging, no.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Our state (Minnesota) attorney general’s office has been very busy with price gouging complaints. I posted in here about a week ago about a store selling a 36 pack of toilet paper for $89.99

Really sad.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,402 Member
    Options
    Haven't seen anything like it here. Shops are well stocked. I'm in a European country.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Hol' up... the bread outlet store?

Tell me about this magical place.
  • ReenieHJ
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    SaraKim17 wrote: »
    Honestly, I wouldn't consider this price gouging. They are hiring extra workers, cleaning more than ever, having to throw stuff out for various reasons. Workers are working overtime. Some other things I don't want to go into, but which are really sad.

By me most places are temporarily increasing pay by $2, as well they should. These workers are putting their lives at risk, imo.

You can't put out a sale flyer advertising a product for $0.99 and then sell it for $2.49.

@ReenieHJ did they have big signs all over the store disclaiming "Sale prices not in effect?"

My supermarkets had big signs on the doors and all over the place saying "No rain checks will be issued" and "No returns allowed."

No signs in this particular store about anything, none that I saw anyways. :blush: In other stores I did see no rain checks allowed. I'll have to check their FB page again and see if they've changed their policies.

And Melanie, the Boyeau-Fassetts bread outlet store is kind of like an overstock of the other store's bread aisles. Whatever doesn't get sold at the regular stores, they'll gather up and bring to the outlet store. I can always get bread, bagels, English muffins, chips, pretzels and a bunch of other things for much cheaper than regular store prices. But, it's closed now because bread is always sold out anyways. :(

Thanks for all the info; I was just wondering. I guess this is a learning and adjusting curve for all of us.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I don't know what state you're in but the California attorney general is warning business to not do this: https://www.abc10.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/ca-attorney-general-issues-price-gouging-consumer-alert-following-coronavirus-state-of-emergency/103-a11eb0cb-2e87-456b-a797-1de455559d80

California law states that price gouging is illegal during a declared state of emergency. In general, stores that carry certain supplies—such as food, emergency supplies, and medical supplies — cannot charge more than 10% of the price of that item before the declaration of emergency.

Google [your state] plus "price gouging"

I reported an Amazon listing for this a few hours ago. They had two packages of yeast, which would normally cost $1.00 to $1.25 each (so $2 - $2.50 for the two) listed for $23.99. The listing has been made unavailable for sale already.

I reported it two ways:
    1. Report an Issue > Other Product Details > Price Issue and wrote "This is price gouging due to the coronavirus. This normally would cost $2 - $2.50."
    2. And via chat with customer service. I also mentioned "This is price gouging due to the coronavirus."

Use beer yeast. An ale yeast works great... people are probably not gouging beer making supplies....
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    Options
    Go to another store...
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    In Maryland, the governor spoke a few days ago and said they will go after businesses who are price gouging during the pandemic. Look into reporting them. Perhaps your state will do something about it.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    What about a new product. Specifically home made hand sanitizer, $10 a bottle?
  • hist_doc
    hist_doc Posts: 206 Member
    Options

You can't put out a sale flyer advertising a product for $0.99 and then sell it for $2.49.

@ReenieHJ did they have big signs all over the store disclaiming "Sale prices not in effect?"

My supermarkets had big signs on the doors and all over the place saying "No rain checks will be issued" and "No returns allowed."

I’m afraid they can. There’s no law that guarantees advertised prices that are printed, posted, etc. typos occur all the time, especially when circulars go to press. Some stores choose to honor prices that might be mislabeled but they aren’t legally required to do so.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options
    hist_doc wrote: »

I’m afraid they can. There’s no law that guarantees advertised prices that are printed, posted, etc. typos occur all the time, especially when circulars go to press. Some stores choose to honor prices that might be mislabeled but they aren’t legally required to do so.

Depends on where you live. I'm not going to go into all the details, but the law here (Michigan) is generally that they have to honor the price on the shelf/sign. Misprints in flyers require posted corrections (usually not all that prominent, may just be signage at customer service, but it's there.)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options

There's a difference between a single typo and not honoring any of the prices you've offered in a flyer, just because you've decided not to, and not even telling customers until they arrive at the cash register. This sounds like a bait-and-switch violation ("nope, we don't have any $1 avocados, just $2.49 avocados") in addition to a possible price-gouging violation.

I don't know what's going on in our local groceries, as I haven't been in one for two weeks, which was before they closed the schools and dine-in restaurants around here. I'm not planning to go this weekend, either, although I guess I'll have to bake bread, as all I have left is rye (don't fancy spreading peanut butter on it) and some wraps. Probably should cook some beans and some grains, as well. Getting pretty low on fresh produce, but I've got frozen and canned veggies and frozen and dried fruit. Going to try to hold out until I need something I really don't want to try to do without, like toilet paper.
  • ReenieHJ
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Depends on where you live. I'm not going to go into all the details, but the law here (Michigan) is generally that they have to honor the price on the shelf/sign. Misprints in flyers require posted corrections (usually not all that prominent, may just be signage at customer service, but it's there.)

I don't know the VT. law but it sounds like what Michigan does. They've always honored whatever prices are posted, even if an old sign was forgotten to be removed. And I have seen the same signage about misprints that you're talking about. I'll check to see if they've replaced the 1.99 sign with .99 tomorrow. The cashier asked the produce stocker so I'm not sure he knew either. To my knowledge, they've never done it before like that and I've been shopping there for 45 yrs. My feeling is that everybody stressed, nobody knows which end is up/down and prices just hadn't been adjusted.
    It's not a real biggie, considering today's world, but it did leave me with an off feeling about the store. :blush:
  • kcmcbee
    kcmcbee Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Our state (Minnesota) attorney general’s office has been very busy with price gouging complaints. I posted in here about a week ago about a store selling a 36 pack of toilet paper for $89.99

Really sad.

Need to name this store and post it everywhere! Everyone deserves to know anout stores that do this.

• fluffygoodas
    fluffygoodas Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Happening in Canada too. Very sneakily too. Normal sale prices higher, or no sales at all, yesterday a high end supermarket got dragged on the news for selling lysol wipes for $29.99. Rationed grocery too. 2 items each for food, 1 paper product. For a large family like mine, i have never spent more money on essentials. Very frustrating given what we are facing.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01MZ87RA5/ref=sspa_mw_detail_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For bread in a hurry. It's what us country boys use when we make.... huh... high potency hand sanitizer...🤥
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    lx1x wrote: »
    Go to another store...

for some folks, that's not an option as there isn't another store to go to within an hour's drive.