Need help with gaining weight!

Hi all,
I am 5’2” and about 42 kgs. I’ve been skinny pretty much all my life. I’ve finally decided to do something about it and really gain weight/muscle. Haven’t been much into working out. What exercises have worked for you and what do you recommend? I would really appreciate any help to get there.

Replies

• cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,091 Member
    Ldso2020 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I am 5’2” and about 42 kgs. I’ve been skinny pretty much all my life. I’ve finally decided to do something about it and really gain weight/muscle. Haven’t been much into working out. What exercises have worked for you and what do you recommend? I would really appreciate any help to get there.

I’d start by reading the ‘most helpful posts’ threads at the top. They cover the basics.
  • joanrking1
    joanrking1 Posts: 4 Member
    edited March 2020
    I would like to say and emphasize that you must eat at least 2000 calories a day to maintain energy levels and allow your brain to function also to avoid brain fog.I went below 100 lbs and am having trouble maintaining the energy to daily function. also to even move about. I weighed 143 lbs for many years and have found it quite difficult now that I'm about 84 lbs to stop the slow spiral downward, and lack of energy osteoporosis and so on, I am making efforts but sometimes it is so hard.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Ldso2020 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Look up Monster Mash, vertical diet also might be something good for you to check out.

For working out you just have to start and find what is fun, check out any 5x5 program out there to get you started. Lots of newbie gains to be made.

You have to do your own research and not just ask ppl what to do to workout, this is me trying to help so that you succeed.
  • 2whitepeppers
    2whitepeppers Posts: 1 Member
    I also share the same “curse” most girls wish they had. I’m 5’7” 105 and the most I’ve weighed is 114 eating 3000-3300 a day for 8 months which felt like a ton of food!

For workouts for slim women seemed difficult to find because everything seems to cater to weight loss. But I finally found some great workouts - checkout dogpound on Instagram. They train Victoria secret models :smile:
  • QueenOfVines
    QueenOfVines Posts: 50 Member
    I'm also trying to gain weight... I'm 44kg. Can we add as friends?
  • mayamission
    mayamission Posts: 15 Member
    me too! 5’6 here, i’m 36 years old and have been 47kg since i was 15. since the quarantine started i’ve been trying hard to eat at least 2500 calories a day and working out at home with sworkit app and managed to gain 2kg in 5 weeks. my goal is at least
    55kg - i’ve never been over 50kg. i also wonder if i’ll have to keep stuffing my face forever to maintain the weight i put on?
  • ruenatty
    ruenatty Posts: 1 Member
    I'm also trying to gain weight... I'm 44kg. Can we add as friends?
    literally same

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    in an ideal world for a female - you can expect to gain .5-1lb of muscle a month under ideal conditions.

set your MFP to gain weight - i'd do probably .5lbs per week - to conduct for fat and muscle gain; eat back at least a portion of your workout calories (MFP doesn't factor purposeful exercise into your calorie goals)

lift heavy *kitten* - if you want to have the most success then following a plan like StrongCurves or StrongLifts will help you with your goals - but in the current situation you may need to just make do with what you can access - do you have dumbbells or anything like that at home?