Craving foods when ill

Options
I've got CV (pretty mild attack thank goodness). I always crave extra or different food when I'm ill. Usually it's something like oranges or protein. This time I'm craving fats and carbs. It's not the normal type of craving when you fancy something to eat but if you wait the craving goes off. I've tried fighting it but it's getting worse. A doctor once told me it's my body telling me what it needs. So tomorrow I'm going to bite the bullet and make a cheesy pasta and cross my fingers that I get away with it on the scales.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    Please don't diet when you're sick. Your body needs the extra energy now. And why not go with what you feel like eating? I was sick at the beginning of this month (not CV), and all I could get in was bitter lemon, sweet liquorice and some kind of heavily spiced, very salty fine tartare on soft buns. I figured my body needs sugar and salt most, and all other options sounded utterly yucky due to throwing up something sweet, salty and a lot of other things I'd normally eat. :D
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I feel like on a more alert morning I would recognize what CV is off the bat but this morning I am coming up blank.

Your weight may fluctuate while ill and you should try to eat maintenance to help recovery. The scale should not be a concern at the moment.

The last time I was sick I craved sweets of all kinds. This is atypical for me. I usually find most sweet food too sweet and I seldom crave it. Bodies need energy to fight of illnesses.

Over the last holidays I was underestimating my caloric needs after a spiked increase in activity. I also craved sweet food which made sense because I was not, at the time, eating enough calories. My body needed more energy.

• BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    CV = Coronavirus, I imagine!

Don’t hurt yourself when you kick yourself...hospital resources are limited! 😉
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,109 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    If CV is Coronavirus: usually I have less appetite when I'm sick, but during my bout of Covid19 (I'm presuming, I wasn't tested), I was quite hungry and I ate at maintenance.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    When I'm ill (and CV absolutely counts!), I don't even worry about "getting away with it" on the scale. Obviously you don't want to use it as an excuse to go wild (and it doesn't sound like you're at all close to that), but you want to make sure you're focusing your energy on your recovery. Enjoy your pasta!
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,788 Member
    Options
    When you are ill and feverish your heart rate sky rockets. You need to eat more than you think to help your body. Hugs and Hope that you are able to get better soon. Keep us updated please!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    If you have COVID-19, to heck with cutting for now. I wouldn't wolf down an entire pizza in a sitting, but your body needs those resources. Think of how much better you lift in a surplus than a deficit as an example.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    If you have COVID-19, to heck with cutting for now. I wouldn't wolf down an entire pizza in a sitting, but your body needs those resources. Think of how much better you lift in a surplus than a deficit as an example.

If CV = Covid-19 I would eat at whatever surplus my body seemed to want. If that means 3 whole pizzas.... done. If the recovery time is just a couple of weeks I would certainly risk gaining a tiny bit of weight before risking it getting worse and stretching the already too thin medical resources even more.
  • hmhill17
    hmhill17 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Rub some essential oils on it and get back out there :smiley:

In ancient times, I learned that in extreme conditions (12 hour mountain bike races) my body would tell me exactly what I needed to recover if I listened to it. It was usually Ruffles, pasta, and Gatorade. When I tried to eat other stuff instead because it was healthy, I'd end up demolishing a family sized bag of Ruffles at 3am anyway.
  • vampirequeen1959
    vampirequeen1959 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    CV does indeed = Covid19. I've only had a mild attack. Yesterday I had a massive pizza. Today I feel a lot better and don't even fancy unhealthy foods. It must have been the bug.