Do i need to eat all my extra exercise calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• tina2222
    Options
    Starvation mode ?

I agree with all the above posts against having your exercise cals! 
    *I like the idea of consuming some of your cals if you're hungry 
    *I really liked the one about overestimating your workout cals and underestimating your consumed cals 

I lost an average of 1lb a week from February -April I was not happy not losing 2lbs a week as I had in the past (younger) so from April to August I had my exercise cals and lost a grand total of 2lbs in 16weeks! I persevered because I wanted my metabolism to return to what it should...  2weeks ago I went back to my tried and true 1000 per day and maybe 100-200cals occasionally if I'm extra hungry and lost 4lbs the first week... Last week I haven't lost anything but I understand that and I tried to avoid using the scales as my master, hence why I could preserver for 6 weeks, believing that it must also be muscle.. Haha didn't put on THAT much muscle! Hahaha 

I feel MFP promotes 1200 cals and starvation mode etc due to us humans eating so unhealthy ... If 1200 cals has cakes and junk food in it well yes, it's not good for you.. However if you're having balanced food eg: 5 veggies, 2 fruits, 1 protein and 5 carbs then I do not feel there's an issue with so called "starvation mode" if you were to eat balanced above foods there are no cals left for junk food... I feel this should be promoted more... Also rewarding the public with food for exercising is getting the public moving, which they may not be losing weight but moving especially if they have got to sweating is a great thing.

I do like HSV's my HSV today is that I can hold my arms taught and giggle them without them flapping anymore! As of today! Yay...Hahaha funny but true! 
    My profile pic is my goal, I'm getting close... 

Below is a couple of websites I found interesting... 

http://www.healthscience.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=512:are-you-in-the-starvation-mode-or-starving-for-truth&catid=102:jeff-novicks-blog&Itemid=267  

http://fattyfightsback.blogspot.com/2009/03/mtyhbusters-starvation-mode.html 

thanks for the awesome advice! i am also a fan of the biggest loser and they are working out like 6hours a day. So i think i agree with you. if you eat back the calories you burned off arent you pretty much just back where you started at the beginning of the day?
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I also love the biggest loser...watched all 4 UK, all 4 AU and all 10 US, but the thing to remember is that losing weight that fast does lead to a lot of loose skin. Why do you think they change from weighing in topless for the guys, then just past halfway in they weigh in in their tshirts?
  • evelyngrice
    evelyngrice Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I don't always eat them, but it is nice to know that if you get hungry then you have the option to eat a nice snack, and the snack feels even more deserved :)

If you burn a lot of calories, so lets say over 500, then I would advise eating something and using some of the extra calories up, because that is quite a large burn :)

x
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    But seriously, isnt this the 6th topic in the last week on the exact same subject? Are there no mods to delete repeat threads?
  • sayambular
    Options
    I sometimes eat them back but the majority of the time I do NOT. Only because I'm not that hungry throughout the day.
  • liza001
    Options
    I also love the biggest loser...watched all 4 UK, all 4 AU and all 10 US, but the thing to remember is that losing weight that fast does lead to a lot of loose skin. Why do you think they change from weighing in topless for the guys, then just past halfway in they weigh in in their tshirts?

Yes I Agee totally, hahaha I wish I had that problem to deal with... Rapid loss! OMG do I wish... However, I'm not going to eat and use that for an excuse... (not suggesting that you do, just a point)
  • liza001
    Options
    I don't always eat them, but it is nice to know that if you get hungry then you have the option to eat a nice snack, and the snack feels even more deserved :)

If you burn a lot of calories, so lets say over 500, then I would advise eating something and using some of the extra calories up, because that is quite a large burn :)

x

Yes BUT BE VERY VERY CAREFUL OF HOW MANY CALORIES YOU ARE EXACTLY BURNING! Some workouts have been put on by members and the cals are way over what they should... I like to call a workout 100cals then I know I'm not kidding myself! I'm sure there are some doing some big burns but I'm also sure there are MANY who are confused and then get depressed at the end of the week that they haven't lost... Then lol, they have the well meaning "nice" friends who tell them it's muscle etc...

If you want to lose, stay true to yourself, log accurately ... I like my diary to be public, it shames me to be good... :wink:
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    did you know many of the contestants actually gain weight after simply because they are dehydrated when they do weigh ins?
  • MrsX07
    Options
    if im hungry ill eat them, but i dont go out of my way to make sure i eat my calorie allocation everyday.
  • 8rules
    8rules Posts: 169
    Options
    I'm a biggest loser fan... They are on 1000-1200 cals a day and workout all day long ... Look at their losses each week, they do not eat back their exercise cals and they are so fabulously heathy at grand final...

Surely you are not suggesting reality TV as science, or suitable to average person. Are you?

Or was that sarcasm.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    But seriously, isnt this the 6th topic in the last week on the exact same subject? Are there no mods to delete repeat threads?

This is probably the sixth topic in the last 24 hours about it.