Canned Tuna nutrition value (How to count?)

Options
Recently I have dilemma about how to measure nutrition value of canned tuna. On the can nutritional value is written for 100g and tuna has 185g with 75% being in solid form (tuna chunks) and the rest comprising of water. The question is: is the nutritional value for can as a whole (185g tuna and water) or just for tuna chunks (75% percent of 185g).

Replies

• briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Water has no nutritional value so it shouldn't matter. I eat tuna every day (well, 1/2 a can anyway). I just scan the barcode, enter it as a whole container with a half serving and I'm done.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Unless the label stated, I would take the calorie values to be for the solids. I would measure my intake per 100g of what I weighed on the scale post-draining.

(I don't eat tuna, but that's the principle I apply to canned beans and I eat a lot of those).
  • mullanphylane
    mullanphylane Posts: 172 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Depends on how a serving is described. I have a can that states "Serving size 1/2 cup drained (85g)". Most of the nutrition data I've looked at for canned tun or other fish packed in water say the same thing "...drained...". If the label says drained - base nutrition on liquid drained off. If the label doesn't say drained, base nutrition on fish plus water.
  • jakovc1
    jakovc1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    No description about the servings whatsoever. I guess It's better to be on the safe side and count the value for solids. Thanks for the reply!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    jakovc1 wrote: »
    No description about the servings whatsoever. I guess It's better to be on the safe side and count the value for solids. Thanks for the reply!

if the info is for 100g and it weighed 185g - then log it as 1.85 servings

unless otherwise specified, the nutritional info is based on the state you purchase the product in