Tips and motivation

I found an awesome accountability buddy and over the last two weeks, I’ve made some very positive changes in my life, much to her credit. I’m eating well, working out daily, adding steps wherever I can. But I’m so discouraged. I’ve GAINED 3 lbs!

I am nursing an almost 4 month old so if i cut more calories, my supply drops too low. I’m eating around 1900 calories a day but burning 2400-2600. I need all the tips and tricks you guys have got!

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    How quickly did you gain the 3 pounds? If it was overnight, that is water weight not fat gain.

http://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations
  • wannabefitmom2020
    wannabefitmom2020 Posts: 16 Member
    I haven’t been weighing every day so I’m not sure. But I have 100lbs to lose so I should be losing enough fat that I don’t have 3 lbs of water weight.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I haven’t been weighing every day so I’m not sure. But I have 100lbs to lose so I should be losing enough fat that I don’t have 3 lbs of water weight.

We can have temporary water weight fluctuations at every weight, even when we've got a lot of weight to lose. It can be really discouraging to see on the scale, but it always helped me to remember that it wasn't fat, it was just the temporary result of something like an unusually active day, eating a salty meal, or something hormonal.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,033 Member
    If you've only recently starting exercising (and exercising daily at that), it could very well be water weight. Or a 'blip' due to hormonal water weight fluctuations. That link posted above by @quiksylver296 is definitely interesting.

For many people weight loss is not linear. My own daily weigh-ins are 'all over the place' but there is a downward trend long term.

Example (in kg):
    h0ct2y0m6hem.png
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member

If you have been in a calorie deficit you probably fluctuated more than 3 pounds and it is masking your recent fat loss. This happens all the time. You might want to consider getting a weight trending app to help cut through some of the noise.