COVID - 19 ... Our New Reality

Options
As we are all now affected by COVID-19, how does this sabotage your progress or does it?

A. What are you doing maintain your calorie count?

B. How are you compensating for your normal excercise routine?

C. How many pounds (gained) are you willing to allow yourself in this pandemic?

Replies

• bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    A ) the same as I have been for the last several months - nothing changed whatsoever about my deficit; this situation has not affected me.

B ) I'm making sure to get an elliptical session in of a morning, using the time slot I would have been commuting to work in. If its pretty outside, I take a long walk; if its not, then I do a 25-30 minute low impact aerobic video on YouTube. I'm also trying to establish a body weigh program for myself.

C ) absolutely 0. I'm still losing as planned because I have been able to stay within deficit.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I work from home anyway so that hasn’t changed. My family is at home too, but I’m enjoying the company.

Gyms closed so I’ve bought some power blocks so I can carry on training at home . I’m probably doing more exercise than normal. I don’t intend to put on a single pound and will aim to lose a few pounds if I can.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    A) I'm counting calories as before. It's important to me to keep up with my routine and stay healthy. Turning into a wobbling heap on the sofa is not an option.
    B) I managed to get hold of a suspension trainer, pull up bar and even a barbell that converts to dumbbells. It won't go that heavy but enough to be meaningful. Already had a kettlebell and resistance bands a-plenty. Our gym has provided lots of workout videos. Mostly they do nothing for me but trying Pilates has been interesting. I have to work out to deal with stress, so I am doing it every day and it is helping me a lot. I intend to come out of this fit and slim
    C) I have no intention of gaining weight. I am on the slide into maintenance (want to lose maximum 12 pounds but will see how I look as I go along.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Fewer walks, more time on the glider.

Also, with fitness stores shutting down right now, I'm a little concerned about what to do when I'm ready for heavier dumbbells. The shipping on 80lbs of iron (a pair of 40s) is going to be high. For now, though, I'm ok with the 35s and hopefully by the time it becomes an issue, things will be settled down enough for the stores to reopen.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    This has zero impact on my diet or exercise. I'm eating the same way I've been eating for the past seven years...if anything, my wife and I have been doing some more experimenting with recipes and whatnot since we have more time being home. My normal exercise consists largely of road cycling, mountain biking, and hiking and I continue to do those things...actually I'm doing more than normal since I no longer have a two hour commute and more time in my day.

ETA: if anything, this pandemic is making losing my winter fluff easier than it usually is...I'm not chained to a desk all day...and spring is just gorgeous here and being outside is wonderful. That said, I live in a rural village just outside of Albuquerque with plenty of space and not too many people around in general...I don't know how I would handle being in a large and crowded city. Albuquerque isn't even all that big, but I'm happy as hell I don't live in the city proper. I do have to cross city lines to get my grocery shopping done, but that's it...other than that I'm hunkered down on my property and riding bikes a lot.

Me too! I would say my only struggle with COVID-19 is finding things to do so I don't boredom eat. I love thrift shopping and can't right now, so I have to find other things to do to fill that time. I've also been getting some more exercise as well because of extra time, and it gets me out of the house to hop on my bike and explore town a little. The lighter traffic has made it easier to do so.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    no change for me...

A. What are you doing maintain your calorie count?
    ~~~same thing I've always done...use a food scale and logging.

B. How are you compensating for your normal excercise routine?
    ~~~no change...I use a home gym and do what I can anyway.

C. How many pounds (gained) are you willing to allow yourself in this pandemic?
    ~~none..I expect to lose weight.

I have to say I've often said that people need to get used to the idea that exercise is not ideal for weight loss...you need to learn how to lose weight with just CI...because there could be a time when you can't exercise...and look here...

And don't get me wrong it's not because we can't exercise but people aren't keen on changes...*shrugs* my summer bod will be ready.
  • pink_mint
    pink_mint Posts: 103 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    I'm sure it's different for everyone depending on their normal routine and their situation.

I actually already do a home bodyweight workout as part of my normal routine. That and the fact that we're a longtime homeschool family and happen to do home haircuts too (I do a good job, we don't look weird) a lot of this is actually not a huge change for us.

The only thing that throws me off in terms of weight loss stuff is not being able to run to the store whenever I want to, for example, grab salad greens. Or items not even being available when I do get to the store. Having to be flexible with what food is available and practical at the time. Still counting calories.

But overall I see this time as motivating in a way. I'd like to come out the other side of this lockdown healthy, God willing, and not in the obese range anymore.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    It's certainly not sabotaging anything, at worst I'm maintaining, at best I'm in a better spot. Working from home I get an hour of my day back so working out (which always occurs at home) is a little easier. I'm eating basically the same as I normally would, minus impulse buys at the office vending machine or eating out. I'm down almost 4 lbs in the last 5 weeks so if anything this situation is making things easier for me.