How do I add muscle?

Options
Hi everyone! I'm new to this whole working out thing. Would love tips and advice about gaining some muscle and strength! TIA!

Replies

• yukfoo
    yukfoo Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy things... put them down and repeat.
  • ittybittyKenna
    ittybittyKenna Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    :D Ok. I was wondering about protein, carbs, how often to lift, how much.
  • Buff_Man
    Buff_Man Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I will tell you the secret
  • ittybittyKenna
    Options
    Ok?? I'm waiting in suspense. :D:D
  • ittybittyKenna
    Options
    Thank you! That's super helpful! Appreciate it!
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength or Strong Curvers are both good programs to start with. With this virus you may have to improvise at home, if you have some weights, follow one of those, if you don't you can start with push ups, pull ups , lunges . you should only need 2-300 extra cals per day. I wouls say 1 gram protien per day maybe a nick more.
  • ittybittyKenna
    Options
    Thank you! that's great information! Yes, i have to try to do workouts at home for now.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Run any program. You being novel to lifting, it literally it doesn't matter which one because you WILL respond robustly with strength and hypertrophy.

Just find one with the equipment and time you have available.

For most people less is more. Meaning you literally will add muscle to your legs by biking or doing just one set of squats and deadlifts. That will be enough stimulus to achieve MPS and a strength adaptation to do slightly more sets, weight, miles, etc...until the next session. I recommend 3 sessions a week for or or novel to lifting assuming you have enough time for each session.

Once you start getting near to the point you can't start looking for more advanced programming.

Target about 1g of protein>body weight in lbs if you are within 10% of your goal weight.
  • ittybittyKenna
    Options
    Thank you! Yes, I don't need to lose any weight, I just would like to be stronger and more fit. I don't have a lot of equipment at home.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Thank you! Yes, I don't need to lose any weight, I just would like to be stronger and more fit. I don't have a lot of equipment at home.

There are many ways without official equipment. I have written a couple for competitive powerlifters that have been without a lot of equipment for many months and everyone of them have hit PRs after returning to normal training within a couple blocks.

Just have to get creative. Something with alternative sessions like the following would be a decent start for a couple months.

Something like this with a rep scheme that brings you 2-3 reps in the tank.

Day 1
    Split squats
    Press movement B(easier)
    RDL

Day 2
    Press movement A(harder)
    Step ups
    Bent over row

• ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    ecjim wrote: »
    Starting Strength or Strong Curvers are both good programs to start with. With this virus you may have to improvise at home, if you have some weights, follow one of those, if you don't you can start with push ups, pull ups , lunges . you should only need 2-300 extra cals per day. I wouls say 1 gram protien per day maybe a nick more.

It is supposed to read 1 gm protien per lb of body weight per day