Chicken Wings, how to calculate their weight correctly?

Options
Hi lovely people

im a chicken wing fanatic but I have trouble correctly entering their weight.

Today before baking , they were 430 gramms total and after baking they were like 240 gramms

then i had fun eating them and weighed the bones wich were 70 gramms

Should I use their raw weight now or the baked weight to calculate what I enter on Myfitnesspal after subtracting the bones?

I mean all the juices and fats are seemingly flowing out of the wings ( should see my backing tray)

thanks in advance ( im not a native english speaker sorry if I sound weird)

Replies

• gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    I would say one of the following;

1. find an MFP food entry that says something like “chicken wings, with bone, with skin, raw” and use the raw weight
    2. Find an MFP food entry that says something like “chicken, dark meat, with skin, baked” and use the cooked weight after subtracting the bone weight

With the first option, you may be overestimating how many calories they were because it is supposed to include the fat before some dripped out while cooking. With the second option, you may be underestimating or it might be off based on how fatty your meat was versus what the MFP entry is assuming.

OR you could compare the calorie totals you get for option 1 versus option 2, and pick something in the middle. That’s what I might do!

Don’t forget to add calories for cooking oils or sprays you used, plus sauces.
  • Yakuzza88
    Yakuzza88 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    thanks alot :)

yes that makes sense!