Motivation during lockdown?

I’m not sure if this post belongs here but can someone share ideas/give some tips on how to stay motivated to workout during this Coronavirus lockdown? I am really struggling!!

Replies

• missroxysteels88
    missroxysteels88 Posts: 7 Member
    I have been struggling but found a routine now.
    I go for a walk or run in the morning to keep my head clear and steps up. Then use Les Mills On Demand for Body Combat and Pump in the evening so I'm still getting my classes in.
    Try and find a routine that works for your lockdown and stick to it and you'll feel so much better.
    Good luck and stay safe. X
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Find a routine that you can adhere to.

Virtually surround yourself with supportive family and friends.

Get out of the house for walks.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Personally I find exercise a great way to manage stress and we're living in a very stressful time right now. That keeps me pretty motivated.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Personally I find exercise a great way to manage stress and we're living in a very stressful time right now. That keeps me pretty motivated.

Pretty much this. Also, don't know where you are OP, but it's full on spring here...I'm really enjoying getting out daily to road cycle or mountain bike and even fit in a couple hikes. Get outside, go for a run or walk or ride a bike...it's fun.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I find working out gives me an outlet for stress, clearing my mind, an opportunity to go outside, and gives me something to do instead of sit around and be bored. My normal routine is to always do a video first thing. I used to go to the gym twice a week to lift. I can no longer lift, so I try to incorporate some videos with dumbbells or body weight strength exercises. This is a time to be flexible and try new things. I cant even go to the park to run, so I have to take advantage of nice weather and walk around my property. Exercise is also a way to keep yourself healthy.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited April 2020
    What motivated you before the pandemic crisis? Why is that no longer effective?
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »

That was going to be my question.

Theorhetically, your goals haven't changed, have they? Unless this was more about the social experience than it was the fitness/training/whatever...
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member

Training for races, it looks like there won't be too many of those for the foreseeable future (which gives me time to really prepare for them in 2021 when I move up an AG).
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Pretty much this. Also, don't know where you are OP, but it's full on spring here...I'm really enjoying getting out daily to road cycle or mountain bike and even fit in a couple hikes. Get outside, go for a run or walk or ride a bike...it's fun.

I went skiing today. Then came home to see all cherry blossoms. 🙂
  • JoeyTheWanderer
    JoeyTheWanderer Posts: 224 Member
    If you're Buff; you can break the bones of anyone who tries to steal your TP... Or bidet.
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    I agree with all the "routine" answers. Routines become habits, and habits don't require motivation.

Even if you start small, doing something is always better than doing nothing.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,062 Member
    edited April 2020
    It is tough. It is becoming a great Spring here in coastal NJ, but, as a member of the "most susceptible" group, I and my family are practicing a more extreme lockdown condition than strictly required. I haven't been off the property in three weeks, and outside mostly only on my deck. Needless to say, I'm not doing all the planned ambitious bike riding and light hiking I had intended for this season, and my offseason gym sessions ended abruptly.

Motivation comes from keeping my end-state target goals in sight (mentally), while doing whatever alternate things I can for indoor and backyard routines. As we also are working off of long-term stores more than fresh, my job as main family cook has evolved to also include quartermaster duties, and online deliveries coordination, which preoccupies my attention. The eating portion of the "fitness = activity PLUS dietary management" equation is strangely working out well, since we don't have the luxury of convenient and unlimited shopping, and I work hard to ensure balance and appropriate nutrition for the family. Plus, I ensure I am following a daily personal exercise routine. Small goals. alternate goals (from what I had thought a mere few weeks ago). Plus, a firm belief that an end to this will come and we will move forward.

Good luck. Hang in there. There will be an end to this. You want to be in shape to appreciate it when it happens.
  • AlmostRandomUserName
    AlmostRandomUserName Posts: 14 Member
    edited April 2020
    I've found it easier to motivate myself during the covid-19 outbreak than during regular life. I've been in lockdown for 2 weeks and have been furloughed from work (off work on 80% pay) for 3 months.

I can set my own schedule, nothing's going to interrupt it, I can set my diet and generally stick to it more easily because I only go shopping once a week at most.

I've literally got no excuses not to improve so the motivation is coming from the fact that I'm now entirely responsible for getting in some sort of shape over the next few months.

I've found setting a program has helped massively, not trying to do too much at once and build in time to chill out without thinking you should be doing something more productive.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member

Training for races, it looks like there won't be too many of those for the foreseeable future (which gives me time to really prepare for them in 2021 when I move up an AG).

Lots of race organizers are doing virtual races right now. I see them advertised daily. Would signing up for a virtual race help your motivation? Another option would be to find a virtual training group.
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    I've found it easier to motivate myself during the covid-19 outbreak than during regular life. I've been in lockdown for 2 weeks and have been furloughed from work (off work on 80% pay) for 3 months.

I can set my own schedule, nothing's going to interrupt it, I can set my diet and generally stick to it more easily because I only go shopping once a week at most.

I've literally got no excuses not to improve so the motivation is coming from the fact that I'm now entirely responsible for getting in some sort of shape over the next few months.

I've found setting a program has helped massively, not trying to do too much at once and build in time to chill out without thinking you should be doing something more productive.

What program are you running?
  • marty_smith
    marty_smith Posts: 102 Member
    ajk2213 wrote: »
    I’m not sure if this post belongs here but can someone share ideas/give some tips on how to stay motivated to workout during this Coronavirus lockdown? I am really struggling!!

It might not be your cup of tea but me and my partner have taken on a 30 day challenge of 100 burpees a day. We completed day 7 today and its almost like we have to do it, i posted it on facebook and for a laugh a few people keep checking we’re doing it so we can’t give up.

At the very least if you don’t do any extra exercise on top of that then you have done a good 10/15 minute workout to keep the fitness up as you are pretty knackered by number 50 let alone 100. I runat least 3 times a week on top of this too.

• MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    I have Maintenance and mini goals for each day.

Maintance goal each day is 50 pushups and 50 squats. I also promise to take the dog for a walk each day.

Mini goal is training. Every second day I do cardio (bike ride, jump rope or jog). For weight training I have one focus area each day. Legs chest shoulders core etc...

Weekly my mini goal is to go down in bodyfat.

I've been working at home and working out at home for 4 years. This works for me.
  • AlmostRandomUserName
    AlmostRandomUserName Posts: 14 Member
    alexmose wrote: »

What program are you running?

It's not a formal program as such but here it is..

So in the morning I'm taking the dog out for a walk which is usually approx 90mins and which is my one permitted outdoor activity

Then in the afternoon/evening I'm doing a training plan on Zwift (indoor biking) which is 3 sessions a week alongside a further 2 Zwift sessions which are a bit less structured - usually a hard group ride or race.

Following each Zwift session I do a 20min kettlebell routine gradually raising the weights and sets. I'll do another week of this then add some additional core work in after the kettlebells.