Hogwarts Weight Loss Challenge: 8-week challenge [April 3rd - May 31st]

Options
Maalea
Maalea Posts: 16,114 Member

Looking for a fun challenge to motivate yourself? Join us at Hogwarts to help get in shape and work towards your weight loss goals! Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry is approaching its 29th term, and we're opening up the application to anyone would like to apply. :)

Term 29 Information
  • Term 29 will be a 8-week term themed around Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.
  • The term will run from Friday, April 3rd (with starting weigh-in beginning that Friday and the full activities beginning on Monday) through Sunday, May 31st.
  • Owls with the acceptance or wait list notification should go out on Monday, March 30th through Tuesday, March 31st (and should be received by the end of Tuesday, March 31st)
  • If you do NOT join by 11:59 pm ET on Wednesday, April 2nd or respond to the prefect that PM'd, then your spot will be given to someone on the wait list. So make sure to respond to your acceptance PM to hold your space.

General Information
  • We have a variety of challenges including food/dietary challenges (Potions), trivia (Defense Against the Dark Arts), and physical challenges (Quidditch), in addition to special challenges to match the theme. Some are mandatory, some optional. You can see an example for a mandatory weekly challenge below.
  • We also have a weekly weigh-in every Friday through Sunday.
  • We require a certain amount of participation each week and you may be expelled for missing too many challenges without giving appropriate notification to your prefect.

Example for the weekly Classroom Challenge (mandatory):
fHBQnPH.gif
After Ron and Harry rescue Hermione, they become best friends. This is a good thing for Harry, as his first Quidditch match includes a hexed broom and a highly unusual way of catching the Snitch!
orn_divider.png

Quidditch

Harry’s first Quidditch match becomes extremely challenging when he is nearly bucked off his hexed broom.

Stay on your broom! Keep your balance and try something that’s difficult for you.

Scoring (possible 4 points):
orn_divider.png

Potions
Professor Snape has been acting strangely, and Harry sees that he’s been bitten by Fluffy.

For this challenge, we want you to take care of your health. You never know when you’ll be bitten by a three-headed dog!

Scoring (possible 4 points):
  • 2 points: Meet a macronutrient goal (protein, fat, or carbs) for three days this week. (Days do not need to be consecutive.) Let us know what goal you met.
  • 1 bonus point: Meet a macro goal for an additional two days this week. (This can be the same macronutrient for a total of 5 days, or it can be the first macro for three days and a second one for two days. You must complete the original task to be eligible to earn this point.) Let us know what goal you met.
  • 1 bonus point: Meet a micronutrient goal for two days this week. (eg. Meet/stay under on your sodium or meet/exceed your iron goal.) Let us know what goal you met.
orn_divider.png

Defense Against the Dark Arts
For our new students - Do NOT post answers in this thread - please PM the answers to your prefects and they will let you know if you are correct (or tell you to guess again). Once you have been told your answer is correct, please post in this thread that you got the correct answer. (Ex: SLYTHERIN, DADA correct for 2 points)

1) How does Harry catch the Snitch and win his first Quidditch match?
2) When talking about Fluffy and what Fluffy is guarding, Hagrid mentions that the item concerns Dumbledore and another person. What is the name of that other person?

This will earn you 2 points.

The admin team for this challenge is made up entirely of volunteers. We give hours of our time each week because we love Harry Potter and are also working towards a healthy lifestyle. It really helps us out if it's easy to get in contact with you (email is easiest these days), and we would appreciate a commitment to the eight weeks of this term. We know that emergencies and unexpected events can occur, but please only apply if you believe you will be able to commit to being part of the challenge from April 3rd to May 31st!

You may contact @fitphoenix or @Maalea (Hogwarts Deputy Headmistresses) to confirm that your application was received. (Make sure to send us a friend request first, or we won't see your PM.)

The earlier you apply, the better chance you have of getting in. We hope to see you at Platform 9 3/4!

Sincerely,
Fitphoenix & Maalea
(Deputy Headmistresses)

Replies

• fitphoenix
    fitphoenix Posts: 9,673 Member
    Options
    So glad to have something to look forward to at the beginning of April! Can't wait to return to Hogwarts. :)
  • Maalea
    Options
    :D
  • Slimpossible007
    Slimpossible007 Posts: 16,229 Member
    Options
    can't wait to return .. if I ever needed a focus its now!!
  • Maalea
    Options
    There are still open slots! :)
  • fitphoenix
    Options
    Hoping to see some new faces this term along with all our returning ones. :)
  • HASWLRS
    HASWLRS Posts: 7,997 Member
    Options
    Contemplating joining....
  • Maalea
    edited March 2020
    Options
    We plan to have a more relaxed term this time, but it will be nice to have something "normal" as a distraction from all that is going on.

You can still apply, there are seom open spots left!
  • fitphoenix
    Options
    Less than a week to go! :)
  • HASWLRS
    HASWLRS Posts: 7,997 Member
    Options
    @Maalea and @fitphoenix, I have decided that I would like to join, but I need to ask a question first, to see if I am eligible. You see, I don't actually like Harry Potter (not a fan of any fantasy, really). I was going to use my son as my source of information for the trivia questions, but when I asked him, he said that sounded like cheating. So, with that full disclosure, am I eligible to join?
  • Maalea
    Options
    HASWLRS wrote: »
    @Maalea and @fitphoenix, I have decided that I would like to join, but I need to ask a question first, to see if I am eligible. You see, I don't actually like Harry Potter (not a fan of any fantasy, really). I was going to use my son as my source of information for the trivia questions, but when I asked him, he said that sounded like cheating. So, with that full disclosure, am I eligible to join?

Sure! Many students use Google or the Harry Potter wiki pages, asking your son is not much different.
  • Rigibann
    Rigibann Posts: 3,663 Member
    Options
    Fingers crossed I will get my OWL!!
  • simbersea
    simbersea Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    @Maalea and @fitphoenix
    If there are any spots left, I would like to join. Being stuck at home with no gym is driving me crazy. I could use both the motivation and the distraction .
  • Maalea
    Options
    simbersea wrote: »
    @Maalea and @fitphoenix
    If there are any spots left, I would like to join. Being stuck at home with no gym is driving me crazy. I could use both the motivation and the distraction .

Yes, of course you are welcome to join! Just fill out the application form (link in the first post) so that we know your preference for a house.
  • simbersea
    simbersea Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Yeah!! An owl arrived 🎉🍭🎊
  • denisseerios
    denisseerios Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Maalea wrote: »
    @Maalea and @fitphoenix

Yes, of course you are welcome to join! Just fill out the application form (link in the first post) so that we know your preference for a house.

@Maalea

I applied yesterday. Tomorrow is start day, will I hear back today?

• Maalea
    Options
    @Maalea and @fitphoenix

@Maalea

You should have already gotten a friend request from some of the staff?
    As soon as you accept it, they will send you a message with more information and the invite to join. (Messages usually work only if you are friends with the person who sends it, therefore the detour with the friend request.)
  • denisseerios
    denisseerios Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    @Maalea and @fitphoenix

@Maalea

As soon as you accept it, they will send you a message with more information and the invite to join. (Messages usually work only if you are friends with the person who sends it, therefore the detour with the friend request.)

I haven’t received a friend request yet. 😔
  • lmc8009
    lmc8009 Posts: 9,190 Member
    Options
    @Maalea and @fitphoenix

@Maalea

I haven’t received a friend request yet. 😔

@denisseerios - I have sent you a PM, it should have come through now that you are on my friends list. Please reach out to me if you did not receive it!
  • merelvdham
    merelvdham Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just came across this challenge looking for the right accountabilitygroup and I NEED it for the coming 2 months!! Can I please still join??
  • Maalea
    Options
    merelvdham wrote: »
    Hi, I just came across this challenge looking for the right accountabilitygroup and I NEED it for the coming 2 months!! Can I please still join??

Yes! Please use the form in the first post.