active calories or total

Options
I use an apple watch to keep track of calories burned for my workouts, and i was wondering if you should log total or active since the watch provides both

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If you're working with a calorie goal from MFP, you don't want to log your total calories because MFP is already including those in your goal. If you log your total calorie burn, you're double-dipping into those calories.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,940 Member
    Options
    And I am not sure that active (probably having to go with intensity and heart rate) actually equals net calories above what MFP has already assigned to you for this time period--which is the actual amount you want.

• lukalulka
    lukalulka Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi, I set my profile up 51yo female, 96 kilos and 159cm. I specified that I walk 90 minutes a day which is around 11,000 steps. Myfitnesspal calculated my daily calories at 1675 calories. Question - am I supposed to eat this much (I am having around 1300) has the figure taken into account the walking I told it I would do? Also is there a weight loss projection graph. I would like to lose a kilo a week for the next 26 weeks. I know as I reduce it will slow done. Thanks
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,357 Member
    Options
    Did you enter that goal of 1kg per week into your MFP settings?
    Then yes, 1675 is what you should eat, provided you do those 11000 steps a day every day.
    If you do exercise on top of that, your calorie goal will go up accordingly.

1300 is too low for a woman weighing 95kg and walking that much.

PS: it's better to create your own thread to ask questions instead of hijacking someone else's topic.

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I use an apple watch to keep track of calories burned for my workouts, and i was wondering if you should log total or active since the watch provides both

Total calories includes the energy of just being alive which MFP already gives you. Active calories are what Apple thinks you have burned just doing the exercise.

• gramseyjr
    gramseyjr Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My Apple Watch steps aren’t being automatically added. What is wrong?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    gramseyjr wrote: »

You may want to start your own thread, as this is a different topic than the OP.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    gramseyjr wrote: »

Give this a read:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/44776592#Comment_44776592