No Such Thing as Bad Foods aka "Junk Foods"

Options

Replies

• alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Hey I've been looking at forums where I see allot of people attack foods such as pastries and other "Junk Foods". The truth is even if your trying to lose weight you can still eat the sweet things in life, They just have to be put in moderation towards your diet. Your body doesn't recognize Pop tarts from chicken it recognizes the breakdown in macro's (Carbs,Protein,fat). As long as you can hit your daily macro's while eating the things you wanna eat then there's no problem having your favorite cookie,cake,pastry etc.. I can go out and have a McDonalds meal and still lose weight as long as i hit my macros in a 24 hour period without going over or being under. Hope this helps! :wink:

ahh another barely out of diapers know it all to enlighten us poor ignorant folk

Wow, name calling and age-ism, that was sure called for when all the guy did was express an opinion.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I couldn't agree more.
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Hey I've been looking at forums where I see allot of people attack foods such as pastries and other "Junk Foods". The truth is even if your trying to lose weight you can still eat the sweet things in life, They just have to be put in moderation towards your diet. Your body doesn't recognize Pop tarts from chicken it recognizes the breakdown in macro's (Carbs,Protein,fat). As long as you can hit your daily macro's while eating the things you wanna eat then there's no problem having your favorite cookie,cake,pastry etc.. I can go out and have a McDonalds meal and still lose weight as long as i hit my macros in a 24 hour period without going over or being under. Hope this helps! :wink:

ahh another barely out of diapers know it all to enlighten us poor ignorant folk

Wow, name calling and age-ism, that was sure called for when all the guy did was express an opinion.

Yeah - who peed in your fat free greek yogurt?
  • hajjcomb
    hajjcomb Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    PS - just to give you a laugh, I see you're from New Hampshire. My daughter just said the other day, " When does Ellie (her friend) get back from her vacation to New Hamster?"

Haha. Reminds me when I was a youngster and told my dad he needed to be "more pacific."

Also, New Hamster is just across the border in Canada.
  • astrosnider
    astrosnider Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I understand what you are saying, and theoretically you may be correct. But for a lot of us, eating healthfully is more than just counting calories. It's adopting a different lifestyle, one that is more in tune with organic, sustainable agriculture and less subservient to the corporate messages we get through advertising every day. Also, at least for me, the more I stay away from fast food and instead go to the farmers market and prepare my own meals at home, the more I enjoy this style of eating. My downfall would not be McDonald's, but I admit it's hard to give up things like butter, Ste. Andre triple cream cheese or croissants from a good French bakery.
  • Cbandelier
    Cbandelier Posts: 217 Member
    Options

Michael Phelps averages 12,000 calores/day when he's training.

And when he is smoking up.
  • gingieblueeyes
    gingieblueeyes Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree.

I have to admit, for the past two years before I began my weight loss, I ate some sort of fast food at least twice a day. Once I graduated from college and was out on my own, it was easier to grab fast food meals to fit in my schedule and I gained 55 pounds in a year and a half. (125 pds-- 180 pds) It was an unhealthy obsession, it seemed that no other food I ate could match up to a delicious cheesburger, slice of pizza or a dozen wings. I had tried and failed miserably to go on dozens of different diets, I just couldn't seem to stick to one because I was perfectly happy eating the way that I was and I never really noticed the amount of weight I put on...I am pretty tall and can carry my weight well.

This all changed two months ago when my doctor whom I hadn't been to in a year weighed me and was floored by how much weight I had gained (so much so that she gave me the full work up to see if there was something wrong with me). I had to embarrassingly explain that I just like to eat bad things. To make a long story short, that was the turning point for me. For a lover of fast food, I knew that eventually my health would deteriorate if I continued down this path. I made a decision to make healthier choices in my meals and have lost 14 pounds so far (in six weeks!)

The whole point to this post is that I still do venture to those fast food places at times (old habits die hard), but instead of getting the meal with fries and a soda, I get chicken with a salad or apple slices and a bottle of water. I commend fast food places for offering the healthier choices and firmly believe that if nutritional facts were posted visibly where people can ACTUALLY see them, they would be inclined to make the healthier choices. I mean, a big mac is delicious and everything, but 550 calories glaring at you from a menu is bound to make you think twice about what it is you are eating.

Everything in moderation people! Don't cut yourself off completely, that is the sure fire way to fall off the wagon!
  • Dette1
    Dette1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have to say yes, I agree on that one. Everything in moderation. I didn't glean that you were implying those things were now health foods, but rather a treat or indulgence in moderation. Long term success will require living in this world and being faced with food. Learning to choose it wisely and not let it control you with the mentality of "bad food" is great and realistic.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Something some people here need to realise...

Food you claim to have no value at all...has a value. What price do you put on having "crap" food, but having it makes you keep the rest of your intake healthy? Just because some foods may be, from a nutritional viewpoint, empty calories, they provide a purpose to that person. They make the healthier living more bearable.

If i went to all green veg etc etc etc...there's no way id keep it up more than a few weeks. Doing what i do now, having everything i fancy, but in moderation, i feel far happier and content, and far more likely to keep it going indefinitely.
  • gingieblueeyes
    gingieblueeyes Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If i went to all green veg etc etc etc...there's no way id keep it up more than a few weeks. Doing what i do now, having everything i fancy, but in moderation, i feel far happier and content, and far more likely to keep it going indefinitely.
    [/quote]

Agreed! I have started introducing fruits and veggies back into my diet again (luckily I like most!) But if I had to live on salads and "healthy" grains for the rest of my life, I would probably have to be locked up. Yes, eating healthier becomes a way of life, but you have to choose how that works in YOUR life and how it best suits YOU. I never understood how my friends could eat just a leafy salad for lunch and still be happy and productive. It is human to indulge every once in a while and you should never, ever have to feel guilty about it.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I understand what you are saying, and theoretically you may be correct. But for a lot of us, eating healthfully is more than just counting calories. It's adopting a different lifestyle, one that is more in tune with organic, sustainable agriculture and less subservient to the corporate messages we get through advertising every day. Also, at least for me, the more I stay away from fast food and instead go to the farmers market and prepare my own meals at home, the more I enjoy this style of eating. My downfall would not be McDonald's, but I admit it's hard to give up things like butter, Ste. Andre triple cream cheese or croissants from a good French bakery.

First to the OP: you put junk food in quotes - quite frankly, it simply is junk that is eaten as food and most of it provides little nutritional value, so no need to put it in quotes.

Second, I agree with this quote. Many of us adopt a healthier lifestyle all around, for many of the reasons she listed. And like she said, the more whole foods I eat, the less I even desire junk foods, tastebuds adapt so that the flavor of the food is actually being tasted. While moderation certainly works for many, many people, and if you want to eat junk food and keep it withing your calorie allowance that is certainly a good way to maintain an otherwise healthy lifestyle, but there are many of us for whom not eating that stuff is not a sacrifice - it is simply not a want and requires no deprivation.
  • LisaMarieee
    LisaMarieee Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I acknowledge that is possible to lose weight on a diet of 100% Twinkies. That doesn't make it good for you.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options

Wrong wrong wrong... Your food recognizes the macro nutrients and creates hormonal reactions based on what you are consuming as well which will affect fat / weight loss. It's not just calories in/out.

Not saying it's not okay to cheat a little here and there, but you can't have the above mindset.

Who says you can't have an "everything in moderation" mindset and not lose weight, be healthy and such? Pretty sure that is EXACTLY what I've done.

Had all kinds of bloodwork done - everything is "perfect". Did an EKG and guess what? "Textbook perfect". Told 'em I do a ton of cardio was told "Keep doing it then! Your heart loves you for it".

I eat sweets and I boy do I enjoy every last bite of them. I consume huge quantities of carbs in a day. I don't track my sodium and I don't pay much attention to my sugar either. I make sure I stay within my "range" for my calories.

Looks to me like an everything in moderation mindset can and does work out quite well. :)

Been at (or below) my original goal weight for almost a year now. Happily maintaining 143-145lbs.

for some , but not or everyone

Pretty sure when I wrote this I made it clear that I was talking about ME and MY journey. No one else. Just me, myself and I.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Something some people here need to realise...

Food you claim to have no value at all...has a value. What price do you put on having "crap" food, but having it makes you keep the rest of your intake healthy? Just because some foods may be, from a nutritional viewpoint, empty calories, they provide a purpose to that person. They make the healthier living more bearable.

AGREED!

If following an overly restrictive "diet" would have worked for me - I wouldn't have yo-yo dieted for so many years. Had I learned that you don't have to give up EVERY SINGLE thing you love and can still lose weight and be healthy too... I probably would have lost the weight far sooner.

I don't know about most people -- but I don't want to go the rest of my life never enjoying a piece of cake, a cookie, pizza, or whatever and for a lot of people (not most, not all but for a lot) asking them to do so is unrealistic and is setting them up for failure AGAIN.
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Everyone needs to see the POINT OF VIEW of the OP. He's currently "bulking" to add muscle. When bulking, lifters will eat in tremendous excess in order to feed their muscles. The things that feed muscles are the macros of fat, protein, and carbs. I completely disagree w/ his approach myself, but don't really care either way if someone wants to eat crap. The other side of that is when they are "cutting"... and they'll go in a calorie deficit while trying to maintain the muscle... and the cycle continues...

You'll also find a large amount of bodybuilders who will eat 5-6k calories a day during a bulking phase, but it will be VERY clean... which seems like the logical approach. If you really want to be ticked off and scream "that is so wrong!" head over to bodybuilding.com and you'll find that there are many who agree w/ him.

Last, to the OP, this is a weight loss site. 99% of the people here are more interested in losing weight and not as concerned about muscle mass growth (even though I believe it helps weight/fat loss). Yes, moderation is key and yes, you can have 'bad food' on occasion, but eating poorly while only worrying about macros is hardly something I'd be preaching.

Fair minded rant over... :)
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    So...I didn't read the whole thread. Just the OP's first post.

My body says, "Oh heyyy, chicken," because it's directly from a "whole food." My body also says, "WTF is sodium benzoate, beotch?!" because...what is it, really?

For exercise calories, and cheat meals, I still eat "healthy" food-- i.e., whole foods, because I know that having extra food means extra real nutrients as well, too. Yay for two servings of brown rice or a LOT more strawberries.
  • adross3
    adross3 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    So.....WHAT DID YOU LEARN.
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    So...I didn't read the whole thread. Just the OP's first post.

My body says, "Oh heyyy, chicken," because it's directly from a "whole food." My body also says, "WTF is sodium benzoate, beotch?!" because...what is it, really?

For exercise calories, and cheat meals, I still eat "healthy" food-- i.e., whole foods, because I know that having extra food means extra real nutrients as well, too. Yay for two servings of brown rice or a LOT more strawberries.

Exactly the way I feel!!! I burned an ish load today and had a double serving of my dinner (which was healthy, whole foods). Our bodies thank us!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I acknowledge that is possible to lose weight on a diet of 100% Twinkies. That doesn't make it good for you.

I bet you wouldn't lose that much. The elevated insulin level resulting from this would minimize fat loss.

what a bro tastic response, so high protein diets also minimize fat loss since protein is highly insulingenic as well?

for weight loss overall food choices don't matter all that much, Twinkies, ice cream, mcdonalds, as long as you are in a caloric deficit you will lose weight, but that does not mean it is healthy to do so
  • shelly650
    Options
    I do understand that yes you can lose weight by still eating mc donalds, but you wont be healthy!! Should a persons health not be more important than weight?? What about cholesterol and other issues that are not just weight related! Yes I do have the odd treat and sometimes a "pig-out" day, but thats Once in a while!! I definitely would not count Mc Donalds as part of a healthy diet!!