Do people social distance when you go for a jog? ?

Options
13»

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Exactly, the risk of catching anything from momentarily passing a few people outdoors is probably insignificant. It's far more of an issue indoors, where there's less air flow. It's bizarre watching people almost trip over themselves making a huge semicircle around me, as if i'm carrying a bloody axe.

I don't think its bizarre that people want to protect themselves and their families. You have no idea what a stranger's situation is or how high-risk they are.

Sorry if I don't take your word for it that there is "probably" no risk by passing people closely outside. I think I'll take the advice of medical experts instead.

People have caught the virus from 15 feet away indoors (source). Medical expert don't say that being 6 feet away is 100% risk free - it's just a distance where you probably won't catch it, especially outside. If you require zero risk, work out at home.

About 1 person in 1,000 is confirmed positive in the US. If we assume the actual number is 10 times that, then 1 in every 100 people you pass has the virus. Indoors, that can be cause for concern, but outdoors, i'm not sure it justifies freaking out when someone gets 5.8 feet from you for a fraction of a second, like some of the runners i've seen.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    I go jogging and there aren't many people out but the few people I do pass are not 6 feet away. But I am passing by them so fast there is no chance I would catch anything.

Exactly, the risk of catching anything from momentarily passing a few people outdoors is probably insignificant. It's far more of an issue indoors, where there's less air flow. It's bizarre watching people almost trip over themselves making a huge semicircle around me, as if i'm carrying a bloody axe.

I don't think its bizarre that people want to protect themselves and their families. You have no idea what a stranger's situation is or how high-risk they are.

Sorry if I don't take your word for it that there is "probably" no risk by passing people closely outside. I think I'll take the advice of medical experts instead.

The 6 ft. thing is about avoiding the droplets when one coughs or sneezes. You aren't going to catch the virus just breathing the air when you pass someone on a path unless they have it and directly sneeze or cough on you.

The latest recommendation by the CDC of wearing facial coverings when going outside is based on the latest evidence that it might also be spread through breathing or talking....not just sneezing and coughing. That's why I wouldn't want to pass close to a runner who is breathing heavily.

Given how fast the virus spreads, this would not be surprising. Do you think everyone who got the virus was directly sneezed or coughed on?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/02/health/aerosol-coronavirus-spread-white-house-letter/index.html

What we do know is that the primary way the virus is contracted is with direct person to person contact with an infected person...either by being sneezed or coughed on or by shaking hands or having other personal contact.

The second highest rate of contraction is by touching something that an infected person has touched.

I have read plenty about the possibility that it could be aerosolized, but pretty much everything I've read has said that this is most common in a hospital setting. I've yet to see anything about me being outside on my bike and passing one of the maybe 3-5 people I might see going for a walk on my hour long ride being a major risk factor. As a precaution I'm not cycling on any of the busy multi use trails as they are crammed with people and there is a good chance you could come into physical contact with people. Not so much in my neighborhood or local ditch trails.

This is a trail I've been riding a lot lately as it is about .5 miles from my house...

xcorrales.jpg.pagespeed.ic.Pg6ZWwbbPO.jpg

This is one of the roads I can take to get to those ditch trails or just road ride.

picture-uh=86dbc4fe9b22928de4ca94ff5c2c1-ps=dbc81194374bd3f9346c4d69a1bafc.jpg

I live in a big city--not everyone has the luxury of the options that you do.
  • snowflake954
    edited April 2020
    Options

People have caught the virus from 15 feet away indoors (source). Medical expert don't say that being 6 feet away is 100% risk free - it's just a distance where you probably won't catch it, especially outside. If you require zero risk, work out at home.

About 1 person in 1,000 is confirmed positive in the US. If we assume the actual number is 10 times that, then 1 in every 100 people you pass has the virus. Indoors, that can be cause for concern, but outdoors, i'm not sure it justifies freaking out when someone gets 5.8 feet from you for a fraction of a second, like some of the runners i've seen.

How about if they brush by you(coming at you, and can see you), or are only 2 ft away when passing? This happened to me this morning. There's a runner that goes at the same time I do and runs down the middle of the sidewalk (10 ft wide) and won't move over. Everyone else gives space, but this fool thinks he's king of the road. So, yes, I'm "freakin' out. I have to hug the wall to avoid colliding with him. And I meet him at least 10 times, since it's a big oval.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    How about if they brush by you(coming at you, and can see you), or are only 2 ft away when passing? This happened to me this morning. There's a runner that goes at the same time I do and runs down the middle of the sidewalk (10 ft wide) and won't move over. Everyone else gives space, but this fool thinks he's king of the road. So, yes, I'm "freakin' out. I have to hug the wall to avoid colliding with him. And I meet him at least 10 times, since it's a big oval.

Speak up and tell him. :+1:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I go jogging and there aren't many people out but the few people I do pass are not 6 feet away. But I am passing by them so fast there is no chance I would catch anything.

The 6 ft. thing is about avoiding the droplets when one coughs or sneezes. You aren't going to catch the virus just breathing the air when you pass someone on a path unless they have it and directly sneeze or cough on you.

The latest recommendation by the CDC of wearing facial coverings when going outside is based on the latest evidence that it might also be spread through breathing or talking....not just sneezing and coughing. That's why I wouldn't want to pass close to a runner who is breathing heavily.

Given how fast the virus spreads, this would not be surprising. Do you think everyone who got the virus was directly sneezed or coughed on?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/02/health/aerosol-coronavirus-spread-white-house-letter/index.html

What we do know is that the primary way the virus is contracted is with direct person to person contact with an infected person...either by being sneezed or coughed on or by shaking hands or having other personal contact.

The second highest rate of contraction is by touching something that an infected person has touched.

I have read plenty about the possibility that it could be aerosolized, but pretty much everything I've read has said that this is most common in a hospital setting. I've yet to see anything about me being outside on my bike and passing one of the maybe 3-5 people I might see going for a walk on my hour long ride being a major risk factor. As a precaution I'm not cycling on any of the busy multi use trails as they are crammed with people and there is a good chance you could come into physical contact with people. Not so much in my neighborhood or local ditch trails.

This is a trail I've been riding a lot lately as it is about .5 miles from my house...

xcorrales.jpg.pagespeed.ic.Pg6ZWwbbPO.jpg

This is one of the roads I can take to get to those ditch trails or just road ride.

picture-uh=86dbc4fe9b22928de4ca94ff5c2c1-ps=dbc81194374bd3f9346c4d69a1bafc.jpg

I live in a big city--not everyone has the luxury of the options that you do.

Even if I went to the busier multi use paths in Albuquerque, I would consider the risk to be pretty low outdoors if people aren't touching each other and whatnot. I just don't see the millisecond it takes me to pass someone going 18 miles per hour on my bike as being a particularly huge risk. I give people as much room as I can namely for safety reasons and not crashing into them, but there's no way that would ever be 6' on our multi use paths.

Even if this thing is more airborne, it would be a bigger issue indoors with a sick person at home, etc. Outdoors it would get dispersed by the environment pretty quickly with the wind and whatnot.

As to living in the big city...I realize living in the city is different...but people seem to also not realize that not everyone lives in the big city either. An really, if people want zero risk, they just need to stay home full stop.
  • snowflake954
    edited April 2020
    Options

Oh he knows. I've made it plain with gestures. He's 50+ and runs fast. I think he thinks exactly like wolfman and has little empathy for others. I'm supposed to jump out of his way or stay home "full stop" just for one "person". Sigh.
  • cwolfman13
    edited April 2020
    Options

Oh he knows. I've made it plain with gestures. He's 50+ and runs fast. I think he thinks exactly like wolfman and has little empathy for others. I'm supposed to jump out of his way or stay home "full stop" just for one jerk. Sigh.

@snowflake954 You know nothing about me at all. I'm following every directive there is and have plenty of empathy. Speaking of my own experiences isn't a lack of empathy. You know nothing.
  • snowflake954
    Options

Oh he knows. I've made it plain with gestures. He's 50+ and runs fast. I think he thinks exactly like wolfman and has little empathy for others. I'm supposed to jump out of his way or stay home "full stop" just for one jerk. Sigh.

@snowflake954 You know nothing about me at all.

I know you ride a bike, which is completely different from jogging. So I could reply that you know nothing about me either.
  • cwolfman13
    Options

@snowflake954 You know nothing about me at all.

I know you ride a bike, which is completely different from jogging. So I could reply that you know nothing about me either.

You're the one who said, "like wolfman blah, blah, blah" I haven't said jack *kitten* about you or presume to know anything about you.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,806 Member
    Options
    This right here is the verbal equivalent of not social distancing on the paths. Do a distance elbow bump and leave as friends. You’re both great MFP’ers.

Wolfman, your paths are incredibly beautiful. I’m jealous.

We live adjacent to a multi use trail that feeds into a rail-to-trail that goes a couple hundred miles to the next state. Even though we are in an urban area and the path is terrific, it doesn’t get much use.

It’s picking up though, especially yesterday and today, and the newer users (you learn faces) aren’t exhibiting good trail etiquette. Walking down the middle, riding bikes three or four wide.

Tried going on some of the streets around “the Square” but they were strangely busier than the trail, and inhabited by older women walking small white fluffy dogs and taking up entire sidewalks. Wierd. It was like an army of these women. Where are they when there’s not a virus in town?

• cwolfman13
    edited April 2020
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

This is what people were disagreeing with. It appears it may be spread more easily than that, and in a way that does suggest that those of us walking or running outside (which I do) should be careful to socially distance (such as by stepping into the street or the curb to pass someone on a city sidewalk or by crossing the street or at least by each stepping off the sidewalk and onto the grass).

No one is commenting on whether it's safe to speed along on a bike on a largely deserted path or trail, I'd imagine it is. But there are enough potential risks that people on city sidewalks or the like should do their part to not run or walk right by others, ideally. Occasionally I've been on sidewalks where you can't easily avoid someone else (unless they also step to the side, and they don't, or often because a group of kids run right up to you), and then I try to turn away a little so no one is breathing right in my face. I don't think this is the biggest risk but in this day it's only polite to do what you can to stay a bit farther from people, IMO.

I get that to an extent...but if it is aerosolized, it's a much bigger concern indoors than it is outside where breezes and whatnot are rapidly dispersing the virus and reducing concentration. It would be a much bigger issue IMO indoors...in your home with an infected person...going to the store, etc. Most of what I've read about this is in medical environments and lab environments with high concentrations of the virus.

That said, my experience is limited to my experiences...I grew up on in a farm community in Nebraska and live in a rural community in New Mexico that as a state is largely rural...even the metro area is only around 200,000 - 300,000 people...statewide we're 2M. I've traveled quite a bit, but I tend to avoid large cities other than flying into them as I do not like crowds in general. I've been to NY City a few times and felt like I should be wearing a mask and gloves even in the best of times, so if that many people are out walking about on city streets then that's probably an issue...but it's also something that doesn't really compute for me as for the most part my state has taken everything very seriously and NM has the lowest per capita curve in the states. Where I'm at...and to emphasize...where I'm at, I don't see going for a walk or jog or bike ride to be a credible threat, even if it is aerosolized.

In that regard, I really question that...Measles are aerosolized and for every 1 infected it infects 14-16 others because it's in the air so long. I would think if this thing were really aerosolized in a natural environment that the infection rate would be far greater than it is, which looks like for every 1 it infects 2-4 vs the flu which is 1-3. I'm not one of those saying that this is "just the flu" at all...but it acts more like the flu and obviously other coronaviruses than a truly aerosolized virus like the measles.

ETA: career wise, I'm data analysis...most of it is financial, but the principles apply to anything. It's nice because we deal with the data we have, not what ifs and whatnots...sometimes just in case. It's just data and our opinions can change constantly...I'm not chained to any particular opinion or position, only changing data.
  • Viking_Dad
    Viking_Dad Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I run and bike in a suburban/county area (2 lane streets, no sidewalks).
    There seems to be 5 or 6 times as many people out now than before the shelter-in-place order, mostly in small family groups, and I might encounter 40 people or more when I go out.
    They are usually spread out far enough to be easy to avoid, but sometimes there are multiple groups strung out along both sides of the street.
    If I can't get past them quickly by going down the middle of the road, I'll turn around and dodge down a side street.
    It's like Zombies, run! IRL.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    All parks here are closed. My options are treadmill or outside in my neighborhood. I don't trust all the dogs, so I stay close to home. I don't see any people out when I do my walks. Ok, I have seen one guy who runs in my neighborhood, but he will stay on the opposite side of the road and give me a friendly wave as he passes. I haven't seen him in a few days though. Every once in a while I see a kid riding a bike or 4 wheeler. I'm more afraid of dogs than people, lol.
  • SchweddyGirl
    SchweddyGirl Posts: 244 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    I have been mixing it up depending on distance....though I did do a HM on my treadmill on Sunday. If they are shorter runs that don't require me to do a water refill then I will just run from the house and give space to any individuals I pass. And I go super early...right at sunrise....so not many people out on the trails. But, if it is long enough for me to have to refill my water bottles then I will do it on my treadmill since I don't want to have to go into a gas station or what not to have to fill it.