Protein Powder

CatieMay123
CatieMay123 Posts: 26 Member
edited April 2020 in Food and Nutrition
Has anyone tried Apollo protein powder? I stumbled across it and I’m thinking about ordering it but I wanted to hear someone’s experience first hand. I see the reviews are practically 5 stars. I recently tried Lady Boss Lean and it’s by far the best protein powder I’ve ever had. I feel like I’m drinking a vanilla milkshake. It blends well, tastes good, and I actually look forward to it. The problem is it only comes in one flavor... So I’m trying to find something new with the same quality.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,386 MFP Moderator
    I haven't tried that brand but PEScience and quest are extremely good IMO.
  • CatieMay123
    @psuLemon I’ve heard great things about Quest. I’ll definitely take a look at theirs. Thank you so much.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    If you can order samples I would do that first. I don't need to supplement protein that often but Quest was ok if you do not have a bad taste reaction to the artificial sweetener. I do so it took some effort to mask it enough to get through the whole tub considering how little I need to use it. I have gone to unflavored now which is better for non-drinking applications but a little harder to deal with in beverages.

I am going to try and find a brand that will sell me a smaller tub in the future. Storing that thing is a headache. I rarely use it more than twice a month because my diet is naturally high in protein.
  • CatieMay123
    Thank you both, I hadn’t considered the samples. In the past I’ve bought powders I didn’t like and ended up throwing them away which is really a shame. I find a lot of powders to be bitter and I have to choke them down.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Thank you both, I hadn’t considered the samples. In the past I’ve bought powders I didn’t like and ended up throwing them away which is really a shame. I find a lot of powders to be bitter and I have to choke them down.

Coffee was my weapon of choice in the battle of the Quest tub (seemed more like a Quest barrel). I mixed the coffee and milk in equal parts and then added the powder to help mask the flavor of the artificial sweetener.
  • Chadillac8884
    Chadillac8884 Posts: 24 Member
    What type of protein are you looking for? I am currently using Iso-100 (hydrolyzed whey) and must say it is the best I’ve had. Flavors are good, mixes and tastes well with water (creamy). Also I’ve had acne issues in the past with other powders, like the first 2 wks I would break out......not the case with Iso100. Could be because it’s “hydrolyzed” idk. I would place ON a very close 2nd, but the brands I didn’t like are MTS, Syntha6, Nitrotech and Musle Milk
  • Justin_7272
    Justin_7272 Posts: 341 Member
    MyProtein is very affordable, has a ton of flavors, and offers samples. As with most protein powders, if you want more of a smoothy texture you can simply blend crushed ice with water and the powder. MyProtein also has protein ice cream powder, which tastes just like regular ice cream (with exception of banana, which tastes more like a banana popsicle).
  • CatieMay123
    NovusDies wrote: »

Coffee was my weapon of choice in the battle of the Quest tub (seemed more like a Quest barrel). I mixed the coffee and milk in equal parts and then added the powder to help mask the flavor of the artificial sweetener.

That’s a good point! I’m definitely a coffee girl, so that sounds like something tasty that would kick off the day right.

@Chadillac8884 I’ll have to look into ISO 100. To be honest, I don’t really know what I’m looking for exactly when it comes to whey vs. other proteins. This is all new to me. I started doing 45-60 min of strength training and a 3 mile walk pretty consistently after dinner. I’m going to kick it up and start running soon. I used to do 6 miles a day. I’m not sure how much protein I should shoot for. I’m 5’ 3” and 125lbs. I’ve got some inches to lose but ultimately I want to get toned too. If you guys have any recommendations how I can reach my goal, let me know!

@Justin_7272 that sounds delicious! Affordability is huge too... some of these protein powders average at practically $2/scoop which is a bit much in my opinion. That banana one sounds really good too!
  • HamptonsGuy
    HamptonsGuy Posts: 72 Member
    I use GNC vegan sports performance protein powder. Whey protein disagrees with me I’m lactose intolerant. I get vanilla and just mix it in with everything