Anyone personally affected by Covid 19?

Options
Just wondering if any of our fellow MFPers have coronavirus or have family members who do? My heart goes out to you!!

It’s very easy to get caught up in the minor inconveniences due to all of this. But in the big picture- these are nothing.

Replies

• Onedaywriter
    Onedaywriter Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear this! In my thoughts and prayers.
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,604 Member
    Options
    rkcampbell wrote: »
    My father-in-law passed away yesterday from it. First in his county.

I’m so sorry for your loss!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,991 Member
    Options
    So sorry for your loss.
    I have a friend who probably has it. They won’t give her a test, but she got sick a couple of days after being exposed. She has never been really, really sick. Is better now. Work is giving her 2 paid weeks off, but since her 2 weeks is up and she still has fever, told her not to come back to work and to send Dr.’s note. Meanwhile her Dr. has been in touch by phone, but says you can’t come in.
    She will have to use her own sick leave or vacation until she is fever free for 3 days.

Can I ask where you are that a person with known exposure and then having symptoms, won't be given a test ??

• lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,753 Member
    Options

I am so sorry for your loss...am keeping all of your family in my thoughts. <3
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I work in the hospital on a Coronavirus unit so unfortunately I am seeing a lot of people with it, and also unfortunately more deaths then I’m used to seeing as a nurse due to it.

Also about the testing, in my local area we don’t test unless you need to be hospitalized due to the limited availability of test kits. If you have symptoms you are just supposed to assume you have it and treat at home and self isolate. Tests have false negatives so if your symptoms match and you would get a negative then that doesn’t actually mean that you are negative, so if you can manage at home what is the point of testing? Most people don’t need hospitalized for it.

Yes I realise most people don't need to be hospitalised - but where I live people who are known contacts, who are symptomatic, would be tested.

Not wishing to turn this into a debate about testing criteria though, I think that is a topic for another thread.

Thoughts are with everyone affected by this. <3

everyone being traced down is having testing here...it's pretty much state by state. we're doing massive testing here.

Percentage wise, yes, but you are lucky enough not to have that many cases yet, it seems. Many states are doing more total testing, but still are limited given the number of available tests and the number of likely cases. And in many states there was a huge backup due to an earlier beginning to the outbreak, when tests available were extremely limited.

Early on we were doing symptomatic known contacts and others with serious symptoms. Now it's supposedly more extensive, but quite obviously those who have light symptoms and just self-quarantine are very often not getting tested. There are so many cases contact tracing isn't really so possible anymore. Back when it was tests were too limited to do it adequately, I think.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    @lgfrie I'm glad you survived it. Are you going to have your blood tested again for the antibody profile? That would show the true scale you've lived through. I've heard some are having a 102 temp for 10-14 days in a row and the fever grows more intense in the evenings Happy you're here. My family is waiting on pending test results for two relatives.

Did you see the bus driver tonight on nat'l news. :'( My condolences to all who've lost a loved one and friend.