Water weight?

Options
Over the last 48 hours I’ve majorly cut my calorie intake by only having cereal in the morning and some eggs in the evening. I’ve been drinking 4+ litres of water a day. I stepped on the scales this evening and I have gained 2kg. PLEASE tell me this is just water weight 🥺🥺

Replies

• wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Just get with the program. Determine a daily calorie count that will allow you to gain or lose the weight you want, not more than 2 pounds per week and get a scale and count the calories and stop fooling around with unhealthy behaviors.
  • Dailly13
    Dailly13 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    You sound like you want to loose weight very quickly by under eating. Never a good idea. You may loose weight quickly however be prepared for health problems like hairloss, feeling tired, looking qaunt etc. Best too take on a more sustainable approach like eating healthy, exercise and keeping a food diary. Good luck
  • Sdelellis83
    Sdelellis83 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I would try not counting calories and eating whole food low carb and eat to satiety. Doing a calorie restricted diet just leaves you hungry and frustrated and in the end your body has hunger mechanisms(cravings) that’s you won’t be able to overcome. Also I find I do not retain as much water when I eat low carb.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 2,004 Member
    Options
    Do you seriously think starving yourself will help in the long term?
  • Sdelellis83
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    I would try not counting calories and eating whole food low carb and eat to satiety. Doing a calorie restricted diet just leaves you hungry and frustrated and in the end your body has hunger mechanisms(cravings) that’s you won’t be able to overcome. Also I find I do not retain as much water when I eat low carb.

This is not true at all.

Most of us just eat at an appropriate calorie deficit and eat foods we find filling. It may take some experimenting to find what's satiating because it's not the same things for everyone. Protein, fat, and fiber are the usual components.

Measuring and logging "regular" food instead of eliminating a bunch of stuff can help people keep the weight off for good. This is a reality check for many people. If you can do low carb forever (lifestyle change) then you've found the plan that's right for you.

OP - eat at least 1500 calories. Fast weight loss often means more muscle loss. Your heart is a muscle......

Just curious what is not true at all??

How many times do we have to use calorie restriction and eat less move more and fail over and over. As any person who have done weight watchers, you join loose weight then watch all the weight plus some come back. Don’t worry about the amount of calories just make sure they are good quality foods u are eating and make sure ur satisfied. Also intermittent fasting is a great tool to use. Give the low carb md podcast a listen.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,464 Member
    Options

This is not true at all.

Most of us just eat at an appropriate calorie deficit and eat foods we find filling. It may take some experimenting to find what's satiating because it's not the same things for everyone. Protein, fat, and fiber are the usual components.

Measuring and logging "regular" food instead of eliminating a bunch of stuff can help people keep the weight off for good. This is a reality check for many people. If you can do low carb forever (lifestyle change) then you've found the plan that's right for you.

OP - eat at least 1500 calories. Fast weight loss often means more muscle loss. Your heart is a muscle......

How many times do we have to use calorie restriction and eat less move more and fail over and over. As any person who have done weight watchers, you join loose weight then watch all the weight plus some come back. Don’t worry about the amount of calories just make sure they are good quality foods u are eating and make sure ur satisfied. Also intermittent fasting is a great tool to use. Give the low carb md podcast a listen.

You're basically saying that as long as I eat good quality food (whatever that is) I can eat as much as I like? I could get cocoabeans, make my own chocolate with all natural ingredients and eat til I burst. Add a few mangos every day because they are so yummy, hunt a deer and eat masses of meat. And still lose weight.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,191 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options

This is not true at all.

Even for those people who are not logging calories, restricting calories (to the point of burning more calories than you consume) is what makes us lose weight.

This idea that that calorie counting = calorie restricting = hunger, craving and binges... Just wrong...

ALL diets leading to more calories burned than consumed are calorie restricting, including what you're promoting (in as far as what you're promoting leads to more calories burned than consumed).
    Side note: it's perfectly possible to GAIN weight while eating whole foods and low carb to satiety as you're promoting, weight loss is not guaranteed.

And hunger and binges are related to excessive restrictions, in the number of calories consumed and/or the types of foods that are allowed, or not eating the type of foods that promote satiety (which takes a bit of experimenting, some people needs lots of protein, other manage fine with high carb meals or prefer high fat,...). They are not inherent to calorie counting.

The weight coming back afterwards is related to a lack of long-term vision or not being able to make durable lifestyle changes. People change the way they eat temporarily, but then go back to their old diet when they've reached their goal weight. Or they choose a way of eating that is unsustainable for them because it cuts out too many of their favorite foods, isn't compatible with their lifestyle, doesn't leave them satiated after eating,... Gaining back lost weight is not inherent to calorie counting.
  • Sdelellis83
    Options
    All I’m saying is eat a healthy whole food low carb diet and eat till you are satisfied. Obviously over eating is never going to get you to loose weight. But instead of looking for a crash diet try a new way of life. I don’t think calorie restriction is sustainable. Have been there and done that and failed every time.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    All I’m saying is eat a healthy whole food low carb diet and eat till you are satisfied. Obviously over eating is never going to get you to loose weight. But instead of looking for a crash diet try a new way of life. I don’t think calorie restriction is sustainable. Have been there and done that and failed every time.

I think using your individual experience to determine that calorie restriction doesn't work for anyone in any circumstance is ridiculous. There are plenty of people here who have used calorie counting to meet their weight management goals.

If I tried to eat a whole food low carbohydrate diet until I was satisfied, I'd be unhappy and unfulfilled. That would make it hard for me to stick with. But by eating the foods I enjoy at a certain calorie limit, I'm meeting my nutritional needs and finding it easy to stay on track.

I'm glad you found a way that worked for you, but that doesn't mean it is the only path to success.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Over the last 48 hours I’ve majorly cut my calorie intake by only having cereal in the morning and some eggs in the evening. I’ve been drinking 4+ litres of water a day. I stepped on the scales this evening and I have gained 2kg. PLEASE tell me this is just water weight 🥺🥺

Back to the OP. Eat at least 1500 calories per day, and read this article.

http://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations