should we take days off exercise and why?

Options
Hey all,

so I work out 7 days a week and have heard you should only exercise 5/6 days... just wondering why this is and if it is beneficial to weight loss at all?

Replies

• Kristy144
    Options
    I took today off and felt guilty all day. But I do know my body needs to rest, so I think I'm okay with working out 6 days a week and resting once!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Your muscles need to repair themselves. I find that the workout after a rest day is more productive.
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    For me it's to allow my body to recover.

Your body can only take so much, and you need to let it rest otherwise you could cause serious injury.

But that being said I think it also depends on what type of exercise you are doing.

If you are just walking, then go for it, but if you are do extensive training, then you need to allow your body to recovery.
  • FitRodr
    FitRodr Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I try to take off one day a week but I always feel like I missed something. Hard to believe that I actually look forward to and enjoy working out. I do listen to my body... if it says enough, I give it a rest.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    it's a good idea to have a rest day. I often take Sundays off, although I can't tomorrow bc I have 2 belly dance shows to do. However tomorrow's shows are quick and easy so it's a light day anyway.

I do think you can work out every day but obviously it's possible to overdo it. Just try to balance out a really big workout day with a lighter day the next.

blessings.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    training = work + rest
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Exercise can be pretty strenuous on the body, so giving it some rest time lets it repair and heal itself, reduces chances of injury, and helps prevent burnout.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Recovery time is very important. Always have at least one total day off, and perhaps vary your exercises so that you aren't working the same muscles consecutive days, giving the others time to recover.
  • AlwaysSarah87
    Options
    Yeah at LEAST take one day off. Your body needs the rest.
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what you define as working out!!!! I would not do weights 7 days a week....3-4 times is probably enough and you want to give your body a break.

However, if you are just doing cardio- treadmill, elliptical etc....I would say you can do that everyday! (Not everyone is going to agree with that!)

However, we say that our children need 60 minutes of physical acitvity a day so why would we not?!?!?!? On days where I cannot make it the gym I always go for a jog, walk, bike ride or rollerblade!

Its okay to do something each day in my opinion!!!! Just make sure you are not doing a hard workout each day...your body does need a break from that!!!

Make sure you are fueling your body to match that you are exercising each day!!!!!
  • BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you mean by "taking a day off." My wife & I usually do a day when we don't do our normal heavy workout, but on those days we usually do a long walk or some tai chi or yoga or something light.

From what I've heard/read, you not only need some rest overall, but if you want to build muscle, exercise helps to "break down" the muscle, and then you need to take some time off to give the muscle time to rebuild.
  • 06MustangGT
    Options
    As others have posted you DEFINITELY need rest because during resting your body is repairing its self from your previous workout. If you don't get adequate rest then you'll be hurting your body and your results. Basically when you workout your muscles are tearing. When they are given time to rest they rebuild and thus make themselves stronger than before.
  • 623Hernandez
    Options
    I read that you should do 30 minutes of moderate exercise everyday. When you start pushing your muscles is when you need rest days. The muscles rip a tiny bit when you work out and they need a day to repair. This is how they get bigger. I am no expert. That is for sure. This is just what I understood from what reading I have done. So depending on what your work out is determines if you need a rest day.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    If by "working out" you mean resistance training to build muscle, then yes, you should take days off, and never work the same muscle group 2 days running. Your body doesn't grow muscle while you train, it grows it while you rest. When you "work out" you make tiny tears in your muscles. Your body then needs time to repair those tears, and as it repairs it prepares itself for that level of stress again, by, in simple terms, adding a tiny amount of muscle. That last bit wasn't very technical, but you get the point!

So yes, if you're lifting weights, definitely take a day off, or at least never work the same muscles 2 days running. :)
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I agree with Hyde! Things would be different if we didn't already have such a sedentary lifestyle. It's really important to have some sort of aerobic exercise every day. Weights are different - THAT is what you need to rest from, but not from aerobic exercise, IMHO.
  • unequalstars13
    unequalstars13 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It's really important to have at least one day off a week so your muscles can rest and regrow. But like everyone else has said, cardio you can do everyday (although reward yourself with rest sometimes!) but if you are looking to tone and build muscle you have to let the muscles rest.
  • maryrshstattoo
    maryrshstattoo Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I exercise everyday, I exercise to eat. I do cardio and circuit training. I have a sedentary job so I feel as though I get enough rest sitting at my desk. Not sure if it is right or wrong, but I have lost weight.
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    I don't rest because I'm only a figment of the interwebz.
  • MadBabysMama
    MadBabysMama Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I try to listen to my body - if I'm too fatigued to work out well, I know it and take a rest day. If I feel well, no reason not to go for it, even if it means exercising every day in the week. I also believe that alternating workouts occasionally during the week is very helpful if you're going to work out every day, to work different muscle groups and not necessarily overtrain/strain muscles and joints with repetitive activities.
  • Iwillshyne
    Options
    Because I work out twice a day, I rest 2 days outta the week. Best wishes and Be careful.