Water weight from increased step count?

Options
Lietchi
Lietchi Posts: 6,156 Member
So some context:
I've been losing weight slowly but steadily since August last year. I've lost 30lbs.
But the past few weeks my slow downward weight trend seems to have turned into an slow upward trend - a few lbs up over two weeks.
So I'm left exploring the reasons why my weight could be up. At first I thought it was constipation, but that has cleared now. My logging is precise, same as before. So the most likely candidate seems water retention from increasing my step count.

Since the lockdown three weeks ago, I made a conscious effort to not turn into the couch potato I used to be before starting my weight loss :wink: I actually managed to increase my step count from 10000 per day (mostly walking to and from work) on average to 15000 per day on average, by doing laps around my living room on top of my regular treadmill runs and walks (not new).

Has anyone else seen an increase in water retention just from increasing their step count?
And if it is indeed water retention, it should just go away on its own as my muscles get used to the added movement?
I would have expected water retention from starting strength training or running, but just from walking...? (But it would be better than the alternative of having gained back lost fat, of course)

Replies

• Unicorn_Bacon
    Unicorn_Bacon Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Have you been adjusting your calorie goal as you've been losing?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    A sudden 50% increase of any exercise could be a significant extra stressor on muscles (+ tendons and joints...).

Are you estimating and eating the calories associated with your step count?
    If yes, maybe your steps around the living room are not the equivalent stride length and therefore distance of your other steps?

Yes muscle soreness and associated water weight does decline as you become conditioned to your new exercise routine. That rate of decline is pretty individual though and obviously continuing that new volume as opposed to recovering from it may prolong the process.

If you are confident it can only be water weight then wait it out or have a couple of easier days to recover?
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,425 Member
    Options
    I'm totally with you Lietchi! I've not been so active in ages, and I did notice this on the scale. Just a bit water retention likely. It will sort itself soon I'm sure.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    For me it goes up sharply not a slow trend. I bounced 2 pounds since yesterday because my hamstrings are on fire today from a bunch of activity over the weekend which included 45k steps between the 2 days.

One thing I have noticed when it comes to steps. Shoes matter more after 10k. I didn't realize how much my feet hurt in my old shoes until I got a pair of new ones that are better designed for walking. YMMV.
  • Lietchi
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Have you been adjusting your calorie goal as you've been losing?
    Yes, my calorie goal has decreased from 1750 to 1560, so the CI-part of the CICO equation is not the issue, I believe.
    sijomial wrote: »
    A sudden 50% increase of any exercise could be a significant extra stressor on muscles (+ tendons and joints...).
    Are you estimating and eating the calories associated with your step count?
    If yes, maybe your steps around the living room are not the equivalent stride length and therefore distance of your other steps?
    I have a tracker that estimates my calorie burn. This tracker is rather more 'stingy' than my previous one where calorie adjustments for steps are concerned (and even with the old one I was losing weight more quickly than foreseen). But maybe there is an error in there somewhere now, due to doing 'living room steps' instead of normal steps. Still, that would mean going from being in a deficit to being in a surplus just from that difference: an error of 500 calories a day (based on my weight gain) on the CO side of the CICO equation, which is huge.
    sijomial wrote: »
    If you are confident it can only be water weight then wait it out or have a couple of easier days to recover?
    Well no, I'm not 'confident' :lol: Just trying to assess probabilities of what could be happening. So apparently water weight from increasing my steps isn't as farfetched as I thought. I've gotten a bit addicted to upping my step count, so lowering my activity level doesn't really appeal as an idea. But it's definitely something I will have to consider if the situation doesn't resolve itself soon, to validate my theory.
  • HotFrieZ
    HotFrieZ Posts: 35 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    This is my problem with step counters. I honestly sometimes think they can make me feel less fit at times bc they encourage so much LISS that I end up doing all of these runs and walks and skip out on HIIT and lifts. Once you are no longer new to exercise, I think it can be counterproductive to wear something that applauds you for walking around your living room. Is that really making you fitter if you already run and walk? I don't think so. I have put down my fitness tracker recently and focused on quality work outs. I still walk or run daily so I'm not being lazy. But my weight is actually coming down and it's nice not to feel guilty if I choose to sit and cuddle with my baby for an hour.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    HotFrieZ wrote: »
    This is my problem with step counters. I honestly sometimes think they can make me feel less fit at times bc they encourage so much LISS that I end up doing all of these runs and walks and skip out on HIIT and lifts. Once you are no longer new to exercise, I think it can be counterproductive to wear something that applauds you for walking around your living room. Is that really making you fitter if you already run and walk? I don't think so. I have put down my fitness tracker recently and focused on quality work outs. I still walk or run daily so I'm not being lazy. But my weight is actually coming down and it's nice not to feel guilty if I choose to sit and cuddle with my baby for an hour.

That is an odd take on it but if that is how it makes you feel for you they may be counterproductive. I will say that being fit to walk a mile does not mean you can comfortably go two, three, or more. It took me some time to work up to my first mile or I should say my first mile since getting so out of shape. Now I can do 5 but I am not sure I can do 6 yet, at least not comfortably.

Weight can come down with no exercise so that is not really a factor. I lost a lot of weight being sedentary and I lost a lot of weight when I finally graduated into lightly active. I do not have a lot of weight left to lose but now I am losing it being very active and a large portion of it is still walking because I enjoy it and I have a dog.
  • Lietchi
    edited April 2020
    Options
    HotFrieZ wrote: »

I can see where you're coming from. When I got my new activity tracker, I ended up setting a fixed step goal instead of letting the tracker set my goal automatically. My step goal had been going up daily to the point of being untenable, crowding out any other activities. I want to keep my streak of reaching a reasonable step goal, but a realistic goal that also allows for unexpected situations, some down-time,...
    But I don't think step counters are necessarily counterproductive, depending on how you use them.

In my case:
    - my 'living room walks' are complementary to my exercise: I do them during activities where in the past I used to sit down. Telephone calls with my parents, watching TV, checking my e-mails, surfing the web,... A great way to increase my NEAT/decrease my couch potato factor and burn more calories daily.
    - my treadmill runs most certainly contribute to my fitness level, plenty of progress to be made there. And I certainly wouldn't class it as LISS
    - my living room walks, treadmill walks and walks outside are LISS, but still good for my fitness in another way (they improve my endurance for long hikes on holiday)
    - I also do non-step related exercise
    - without my tracker (fitness tracker, not just step counter) I'd be lost as to my activity level and allowed calories, so I'm definitely not getting rid of it any time soon :smile:
  • NovusDies
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Well, a little update: my weight has gone down 3 lbs in 2 days, to a new low!
    So it was definitely water weight, the biggest 'whoosh' I've had so far :grin: Weight loss really is a roller coaster.

And hopefully the next time it happens you can lean on this experience to lessen any anxiety you might feel. I have been put through the ringer a few times with close to 20 pound water gains. I would not say that has made me totally immune. I sill experience some some irritation at the scale going north for normal fluctuations but certainly thankful when it is 1-5 pounds and not 20.
  • Lietchi
    Options
    Yeah, I'm used to ups and downs but that was a longer up than usual and a bigger down than usual too.
    Anxiety may be too strong a word, but I was definitely wondering if I was suddenly doing something wrong.

#TrustTheProcess