50 and fit

So a couple years ago my Doc told me my cholesterol was high and if I didn't do something about it he would have to recommend medication.

Three years later I've lost and kept off 30 lbs, am maintaining 11% body fat and have 8 pack abs.

Want to know how I did it. I'll tell you for free.

I turn 48 this weekend and play to be fit at 50. 10% Body fat and have a 1.618 golden ratio.

Replies

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    I'm 51. I was in decent shape and then I had some joint problems and a back injury that kept me down for months and feel like I am now starting over from square one. I don't bounce back like a youngun lol. I went to the gym yesterday and the settings I had to use on the machines were so low... feels bad, man. :( But I know in time I can get it back.
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    So, how did you do it?
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Let yourself recover. We older folks need to recover. Maintain your healthy eating. Do not strain the injury and pick an activity that allows you to do something.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    @harper16 Build muscle, I chose pushups to start. Add bodyweight squats if you have time.

Find a cardio you like to help your heart and lungs (cardio does not really reduce fat. It's more to assist you to maintain a calorie deficient diet and help your overall health). I chose jump rope. Most intense cardio with limited knee impact. Also I get bored easily and jump rope keeps me interested.

Remove alcohol, fatty fried foods, breads and sugars while increasing protien vegetables and fruits. No more seconds and no snacking after 8pm. I use this app for two months every year to remind myself what 1800 calories a day looks like. I think about food in weekly chunks. If I eat pizza on Friday I eat healthier Monday and Tuesday.

Now I pick certain exercises to target particular muscle groups. I never lift heavy, just consistently. 2 - 3 times a week for an hour. At 48 years old I need the extra recovery time. Daily pushups and squats.
  • TinaZ2018
    TinaZ2018 Posts: 314 Member
    Very inspiring!
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    Effects of dental hygeine on fitness

Sometimes life teaches us a lesson. And if we are listening and paying attention we can look back and really learn from it well. In the fall of 2018 I lost 20 lbs. There were several factors I'm sure. However, one was my dental hygiene. After 46 years of only flossing in the dentist's chair I determined that this time and from now on I was going to learn to floss daily. Why you ask, I was an aggressive brusher. I thought if I brushed my teeth vigorously I would not need to floss. First, that was wrong, second, I've worn away the enamel along my gum line so much that my teeth are weakened making them susceptible to decay, sugar and temperature. In fact, I was having this conversation with my dental hygienist because my mouth and jaw were always in pain. This pain was radiating along my jaw, down my neck and under my left shoulder blade. It was even affecting my ability to workout. My whole left side was weaker than my right. Measurable in lifting strength and even tape size!

I tried flossing, but could not get my mitts in my mouth. This is why I failed before. But now there is a new, newish tool available. Flossing Sticks!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=http://designsfordentalhealth.com/nadler-blog/tag/different-tools-for-flossing/&psig=AOvVaw3ETf_ZQbBKxf6TjyztaWfF&ust=1586005137186000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCODXstinzOgCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAD

I went out right away bought a bag and started using them every day before bed. My pain started receding. My sinus started relieving. My mouth is now healthy and my left side is in significantly less pain and my left shoulder and arm are growing...

The science...

The mouth is full of bacteria, good and bad. Regular daily brushing and flossing keeps this delicate balance in check.

Scientists and doctors agree that bad oral hygiene can cause the bacteria, plaque and tartar to effect our health on a increasing risk scale. In addition fitness folks are in some ways even more susceptible to dental and oral health issues. So assuming you all are typical fitness folk, follow me in this "typical" scenario.... You are getting ready for you regular morning workout. You get up brush your teeth make your pre-workout protein shake and consume it. Get your energy drink ready for your big gym workout and head out to the gym. During your workout you drink you energy drink to keep you hydrated and fueled. After, you shower, change and head to work. Somewhere between the end of the workout and arriving at work/home you may have consumed a protein bar to help you rebuild.

- protein shake not brushed from your teeth

- mouth breathing for an hour or so introducing bacteria to teeth and gums with protein shake film covering them

- energy drink introduced. Some of these are high in sugar and sodium. What is yours???

- thick sticky, chocolate covered??? protein bar eaten that gets stuck in your teeth.

- No further brushing until bed (4 - 8 hours later)

- No flossing....

So our habits actually contribute to the problem.... and the problem proceeds like this... tartar buildup, plaque build up, bad breath, cavities, gum inflammation and sinus pain, gum disease and infection, plaque and tartar affecting our digestion, plaque and tartar entering our blood stream, cardiovascular health effected, heart and lungs effected, diabetes heart disease etc... all bad, so bad. And this will not help you look like Zac Efron.

Solution

So brush your teeth, consider what you eat and drink and schedule your dental hygiene just like you plan your workouts. Learn to floss or buy floss sticks and make it part of what you do to stay healthy.

More detailed science stuff and supporting articles....

Copied from the attachments "Inflammation is probably a common denominator, experts say. Periodontal disease, marked by inflammation, may increase inflammation throughout the body. Inflammation, in turn, is an underlying problem in diseases including heart disease and rheumatoid arthritis.

Gum Disease and Heart Disease

Over the years, many studies have found that people with gum disease are more likely to also have poor heart health, including heart attacks.

A 2009 paper on the relationship between heart disease and gum disease was issued by the American Academy of Periodontology and The American Journal of Cardiology. Its joint recommendations encourage cardiologists to ask their patients about any gum disease problems. In addition, periodontists are encouraged to ask their patients about any family history of heart disease as well as their own heart health."

Related resources

- https://www.scottyoungdds.com/blog/is-your-unhealthy-mouth-making-you-fat

- https://www.mensjournal.com/health-fitness/how-oral-health-affects-the-rest-of-you-w481259/

- https://flexibleworkout.com/oral-health-fitness-health/

- https://drmichaelhandler.ca/blog/the-effects-of-sports-and-fitness-on-your-dental-health

• dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    @KHMcG you hit everything on the head. Everything I have read on aging, fitness, and weight management supports your statements. Keys to maintaining (or even) improving fitness as you age that differs from younger folks: (1) continuous weight training, (2) building in adequate recovery and (3) adding HIIT workouts 1-2x/week. Weight management is about minimizing intake of energy dense food, moving to a more plant-based diet (nutritionally dense but fewer calories per gram of food so you still feel full). I competed in my first half Ironman triathlon at 60 so all things are possible. However, I haven't implemented everything with your level of rigor so you've given me additional motivation, thanks!
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    We're never too old!!! Great job
  • swclifton
    swclifton Posts: 421 Member
    Thanks @KHMcG for this post. Great job bro. Glad you're my friend on here as well. Have a great weekend
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    dmkoenig wrote: »
    @KHMcG you hit everything on the head. Everything I have read on aging, fitness, and weight management supports your statements. Keys to maintaining (or even) improving fitness as you age that differs from younger folks: (1) continuous weight training, (2) building in adequate recovery and (3) adding HIIT workouts 1-2x/week. Weight management is about minimizing intake of energy dense food, moving to a more plant-based diet (nutritionally dense but fewer calories per gram of food so you still feel full). I competed in my first half Ironman triathlon at 60 so all things are possible. However, I haven't implemented everything with your level of rigor so you've given me additional motivation, thanks!

I'm so glad you enjoyed the read. I went through this journey alone, finding what worked and why, and what didn't and why. Some things were my own findings some were from sources like Athleanx and some Jump Rope Dudes etc. I will use this thread to add new topics over the weeks.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    UPDATE time

So I've been shooting for sub 10 % bodyfat since spring of 2018. I passed that target on Friday. No celebration yet though. I want two weeks at this achievement before I claim it.

I'm not doing anything new. Still exercising at home, eating with my family and recovering as I have been for the past 2 years.

xiuch6etyrsg.jpg

95rpsmcswqo8.jpg
  • swclifton
    swclifton Posts: 421 Member
    You're looking so good Kevin!
  • TinaZ2018
    Oh how beautifully those jeans 'hang' on your hips putting those abs in the spotlight. Amazing progress! You are an inspiration! :-)
  • JustaJoe00
    JustaJoe00 Posts: 777 Member
    appreciate your perspective and that you shared what worked for you. Good luck maintaining! Keep it going!
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    edited April 2020
    I have a dream. It started with jump rope.

Do you have a dream?

pyg9k380dfmy.jpg

https://youtu.be/k4KpdUSIlSY
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    I've started a group called Midlife Crisis Fitness. If my story sounds like something you want to do send me a note and request to join. Myself and others are posting what works for midlife folks that want a new beginning.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    espgo81lk20v.jpg

Time for a short update. Locked in at maintenance. Building shoulder size and adding to quad and biceps.

Really happy with my Covid home workouts.

The men's fitness group is doing ok. Several guys are definitely enjoying progress. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/136540-midlife-crisis-fitness
  • TinaZ2018
    KHMcG wrote: »

Time for a short update. Locked in at maintenance. Building shoulder size and adding to quad and biceps.

Really happy with my Covid home workouts.

The men's fitness group is doing ok. Several guys are definitely enjoying progress. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/136540-midlife-crisis-fitness

Amazing progress! I'm proud of you!