W1D1

Options
LaraeTX
LaraeTX Posts: 672 Member
edited April 2020 in Fitness and Exercise
My real C25K app didn’t log anything due to technical difficulties. So I’ll have to redo it tomorrow. But I have to say, after taking the last 4 years off, this walk/run felt amazing.

v8cxdpk6eef2.png

Replies

• LJRS2019
    LJRS2019 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Nice. :smiley: Well done.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Way to go!
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    How sore did it make you? I've tried C25K a couple of times and just can't get past the soreness--I end up hurting from my feet all the way up to my shoulders and face and can't power through more than the first week or two before it just isn't worth it.
  • LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    COGypsy wrote: »
    How sore did it make you? I've tried C25K a couple of times and just can't get past the soreness--I end up hurting from my feet all the way up to my shoulders and face and can't power through more than the first week or two before it just isn't worth it.

I actually love the soreness. It makes me feel like I’m accomplishing something.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options

Start with walking 30-45 minutes, three or four times a week. Work up to a brisk pace. When you can do that comfortably, start adding in short jogs. Make sure you get good running shoes that fit your feet and way of moving. Wearing the wrong shoes can create a lot of imbalances, causing pain.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

Start with walking 30-45 minutes, three or four times a week. Work up to a brisk pace. When you can do that comfortably, start adding in short jogs. Make sure you get good running shoes that fit your feet and way of moving. Wearing the wrong shoes can create a lot of imbalances, causing pain.

I take long walks (60-90 minutes) fairly often and do (did?) different kinds of cardio when I could go to the gym. I think I've made 4 or 5 attempts to take up running in the last several years and have never been able to work through the pain I get after I try. And I'm very used to muscle soreness. I lift pretty heavy and can get pretty sore when I'm at the end of a lifting cycle. But after even 1 or 2 sessions of walk/jog type stuff, I hurt from head (literally get headaches and jaw aches) to toe. Same if I do a couple of laps on the track at the gym. Foam rolling and stretching don't help, ice and heat sometimes do a little and it lasts for a few days. It's been that way no matter what shoes I wear, although I've never bought running shoes specifically. Not sure how to even begin to shop those. My current and last pair of workout shoes are Reebok Nano Crossfit shoes, you'd think those would be at least adequate. I haven't tried more than track laps with this current pair though.

Are some people just not meant to run? Is there a "form" to running, like there is with weights? I just can't imagine that so many people love it if it's supposed to feel this way...
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Might be a running form issue. There is a method to the madness apparently. You can read some articles and see some YouTube videos about how your gait should be, how your foot should land, about relaxing your hands and shoulders, breathing techniques, etc. You would think it would be just "go faster than walking" and work out but there's more to it for some folks.

There are times I have to stop myself from clenching my fists and have to relax my shoulders and shake them out.

I'd also recommend getting fitted for running shoes, not just cross trainers. I did that a few years back and it made a HUGE difference in my running. My Runner's Knee and shin splints went bye-bye. Well worth it if you can do it.

And I'm doing C25K for like the eleven-teenth time right now myself. On Week 6 right now. And I do NOT like running, but I like accomplishing the running...

Good luck!
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options

I take long walks (60-90 minutes) fairly often and do (did?) different kinds of cardio when I could go to the gym. I think I've made 4 or 5 attempts to take up running in the last several years and have never been able to work through the pain I get after I try. And I'm very used to muscle soreness. I lift pretty heavy and can get pretty sore when I'm at the end of a lifting cycle. But after even 1 or 2 sessions of walk/jog type stuff, I hurt from head (literally get headaches and jaw aches) to toe. Same if I do a couple of laps on the track at the gym. Foam rolling and stretching don't help, ice and heat sometimes do a little and it lasts for a few days. It's been that way no matter what shoes I wear, although I've never bought running shoes specifically. Not sure how to even begin to shop those. My current and last pair of workout shoes are Reebok Nano Crossfit shoes, you'd think those would be at least adequate. I haven't tried more than track laps with this current pair though.

Are some people just not meant to run? Is there a "form" to running, like there is with weights? I just can't imagine that so many people love it if it's supposed to feel this way...

Me! I've tried many times in the past and just can't do it. I end up with pain due to an old neck injury so I finally resolved that I'll never be a runner.

Like you, I regularly take 60-90 minute walks and hikes and that's good enough for me. I do envy the people who make running look so easy and enjoyable, however.