Good exercise with hip arthritis?

Options
I'm lucky enough to be a 26 year old with some arthritis in my hip. With covid I am unable to lift like I was at the gym. I had a number of exercises that strengthened the muscles around my hip and made it easier to walk.

Are there any bodyweight exercises that people know that might help? I like to go for walks but it's starting to get painful again.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    This is not a very helpful answer, but I see no one else has replied.

Perhaps you might see whether one of the bodyweight programs described in this thread (below) would help you:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

The other option would to search YouTube videos from Physical Therapists, but I'm guessing you've already done that.

I hope you find a solution!
  • Mrsindepenant1
    Mrsindepenant1 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I’m 27 with arthritis in my hip and knees, I have Ankylosing Spondylitis.
    For me biking and swimming are great and I find if I do exercises in the pool I don’t end up as sore in my joints, I do a lot of hiking too but I pay for it afterwards.
    I was doing physio but it didn’t help me.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    I have OA and it's been bad in my hips for years. I went to the pool at least 3 times a week, but several years ago also started light yoga. Between the 2, I'm much better and still can manage without a hip replacement. Now the pool is closed, but I do yoga and stretching at home. I also do squats and planking as part of my routine.
  • jaelgard
    jaelgard Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody! I bet yoga would be helpful
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,428 Member
    Options
    Hi. If you need a quick fix to keep your hips mobile, simple hip circles work great.

Sit cross legged on the floor and circle your upper torso from the hips to the right a few times then to the left. Recross your legs in the other direction and do both sides again.

I do thirty in each direction, on each side, for a total of 120, each morning. Bonus pet-pet time if a cat sits on the mat within reach.

Also, google for Pilates side series. You will need a mat or a soft rug because you’ll be laying on your side. You will be cursing my name and the instructors name about three or four minutes in, but side series will make a world of difference to your hips.

Pilates and yoga are both great for hips, and I do many classes of each every week, but imho, Pilates is a little more immediate for a mat beginner with hip issues.
  • Keyurong
    Keyurong Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    jaelgard wrote: »
    I'm lucky enough to be a 26 year old with some arthritis in my hip. With covid I am unable to lift like I was at the gym. I had a number of exercises that strengthened the muscles around my hip and made it easier to walk.

Are there any bodyweight exercises that people know that might help? I like to go for walks but it's starting to get painful again.

Hey jaelgard,

I'd recommend following the steps in this video: https://youtu.be/g-7ZWPCWv0U
    This man's both a Strength Coach and a Physical Therapist. While it won't "cure" arthritis (since it's incurable), it will help alleviate a lot of the pain you're dealing with because of it. Most of which come from imbalances and instability of certain muscle groups and posture. Also, including more omega-3, DHA, EPA, and reducing processed foods in your diet will reduce inflammation.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted!