Curious about keto

I've been thinking about trying keto. So today I started and tracked my food on here. The thing is, the app doesn't differentiate from carbs from sugar or fiber. Or does it? Is there a setting I can change? From my understanding I am allowed carbs from things like Chia seeds or flax seeds and it doesn't really count against my daily carb intake. Is that correct or not?

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    You needn't worry about sugar separately. You should remove it and add fiber so you can quickly deduct total fiber from your total carbs each day.

All carbs count. The reason some might say chia seeds do not is because they have a high fiber content. The fiber does not zero out the carbs so the remaining amount counts against your day.

Make sure you are ready for the potential of the "keto flu".

Remember that you do not need to do keto to lose weight but it is a worthwhile experiment to see if it suits you. If it makes you miserable you should move on pretty quick. Otherwise give it a few weeks and see what you think.

Remember that in the first couple of weeks you may lose a substantial amount of water weight which will return once you begin eating carbs again so don't let that get you too excited initially or too bummed out if you need to exit. Remember the goal of weight loss has nothing to do with water. Water weight comes and goes.
  • t1gerdaddy
    t1gerdaddy Posts: 3 Member
    So the carbs from fiber do count? I don't think I can stick with it anyway. Now is not a time to be choosey when it comes to food. I know as long as I do a calorie deficit I will lose weight. Just thought I'd give it a try for the month. Thanks for your help.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Subtract your fiber from carb for your net carb. You can change your settings by placing your fiber next to carbs.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    t1gerdaddy wrote: »
    So the carbs from fiber do count? I don't think I can stick with it anyway. Now is not a time to be choosey when it comes to food. I know as long as I do a calorie deficit I will lose weight. Just thought I'd give it a try for the month. Thanks for your help.

Right. It is the net carbs (Total Carbs - Total Fiber) that counts.

It doesn't have to be one or the other. You can do lower carb as an experiment for a couple of week and see how that feels first. Instead of going for 50 or lower carbs go for around 100 which will give you a lot more flexibility. There is no rule that says the benefits of low carb on satiety require very low carb. Sometimes it is just lowering carbs enough to allow for more protein and fat. I wouldn't do keto personally because I also respond well to higher fiber. Through most of my weight loss I have ran what I would call a moderate carb system. That doesn't work as well now that my activity is much higher.

Keep in mind I am not encouraging you to do anything if you wish to delay the experiment for now. I am just giving an alternative.