What foods were invented in your home city/country/region?

Options

Replies

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    I googled and the only foods I can find invented in NZ you probably won't have heard of

-jaffas (think of a round m and m that only comes in red and has an orange flavour in the shell)
    - hokey Pokey icecream (so didn't invent icecream but did this flavour, and its the best)
    - manuka honey (again didn't invent honey but did the manuka variety)
    -
    Of course the Kiwi fruit is associated with NZ, cause kiwi.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    I googled and the only foods I can find invented in NZ you probably won't have heard of

-jaffas (think of a round m and m that only comes in red and has an orange flavour in the shell)
    - hokey Pokey icecream (so didn't invent icecream but did this flavour, and its the best)
    -

While us Aussies try to claim it, I do believe that pavlova can be rightfully claimed as a NZ invention.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Fish tacos
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options

-

Kiwi fruit originated in China though. Mmm wish I had one now :)
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Beavertails
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    mockchoc wrote: »

-

Yeah the old Chinese gooseberry. Hence my use of the word "associated" not created
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    mockchoc wrote: »

-

Yeah the old Chinese gooseberry. Hence my use of the word "associated" not created

I thought that was the case but just mentioned it for some that think it is from NZ originally.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    I'm Canadian....so poutine is a rather famous dish

Butter tarts...think pecan pie but a tart and with raisins, I make mine with maple syrup to be extra Canadian

I'm from Toronto which is where peameal bacon is from. Basically cured pork loin coated in ground up dried yellow peas....sooooo good

Beaver tails
    Nanaimo bars
    Bloody Caesar
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Okie here.
    As @renydo2 mentioned recently, brandy ice! A local treat, I think.
    El Reno makes the biggest fried onion burger in the world once a year, and this small town has 3 long-time fried onion burger restaurants.
    Home of Sonic and Braum’s.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Dukes Mayo...the only mayo that’s worth trying
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I was born and grew up in Bucharest.

The only one I know for sure is Joffre cake. People often say mici were invented in Bucharest but there are similar dishes all over southeast Europe, so...
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,606 Member
    Options

-

Had to look up that ice cream, it sounds delicious! Definitely have never seen that flavor here.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    AliNouveau wrote: »
    Butter tarts...think pecan pie but a tart and with raisins, I make mine with maple syrup to be extra Canadian

I miss my great aunt's butter tarts (that side of my family is from about 1.5 hours north of Toronto).
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Juicy Lucy’s
    Cheerios
    Pizza Rolls
    Spam
    Honey crisp apples
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Juicy Lucy’s
    Cheerios
    Pizza Rolls
    Spam
    Honey crisp apples

Didn't we also invent hot dish? :D
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Juicy Lucy’s
    Cheerios
    Pizza Rolls
    Spam
    Honey crisp apples

😳I guess....embarrassed ...... but I’ve always called them casseroles. My DD & DH always tease me cuz I get mad when people make fun of the way we talk (Fargo-like)
    I much prefer the Grumpy Old Men, or Mary Tyler Moore, images. You’re an ex-pat though, so you have two food cultures, and your adopted country’s food is up there with the best in the world.

BTW, it’s snowing here today ❄️
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Juicy Lucy’s
    Cheerios
    Pizza Rolls
    Spam
    Honey crisp apples

😳I guess....embarrassed ...... but I’ve always called them casseroles. My DD & DH always tease me cuz I get mad when people make fun of the way we talk (Fargo-like)
    I much prefer the Grumpy Old Men, or Mary Tyler Moore, images. You’re an ex-pat though, so you have two food cultures, and your adopted country’s food is up there with the best in the world.

I know. I called my mom and she said it was snowing. A funny story about casseroles. When I was a young Interior Designer at the Dayton's Design Studio in Ridgedale, a new designer came from New York. We had a party and people brought stuff. She had never seen a hot dish in her life. She's a gourmet cook and was pretty disgusted, but did her best to hide it. We still roar with laughter at the story.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Juicy Lucy’s
    Cheerios
    Pizza Rolls
    Spam
    Honey crisp apples

We have a few communities that have a very distinct Fargo-like accent (Sheboygan especially) so I make fun of it in a self deprecating sort of way, but don't let anyone else make fun of it.

I was always told that it is a casserole unless you are taking it to a Lutheran Church where it becomes a hotdish.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    AliNouveau wrote: »

I miss my great aunt's butter tarts (that side of my family is from about 1.5 hours north of Toronto).

Butter tarts really are the best thing ever
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,422 Member
    Options
    Actually: I don't know what's typical here. I know horseback riding and playing golf is typical. But food-wise? Ugh.. I also can't find anything online, though there has to be something. I'll visit some local shops to see if there's anything local. Maybe some baked goods?