Can’t Stop Gaining - How Do I Reverse This?

Options
Hey all!

I’m coming here to try to jumpstart my motivation. I’ve struggled with losing weight and generally taking care of my body as long as I can remember.. but there was also a point where I did think about what I ate or drank and If I had been active that day.. lately I don’t mind at all.

I don’t know how to start again after having given up completely. This is the biggest I’ve ever been and I’m not sure how to regain control.

How do I start caring and taking action?

At 25, it’s difficult to accept myself now and my future to continue like this.

Thank you.

Replies

• sadiej3232
    sadiej3232 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey girl I hear your struggle! I have been there and you are definitely not alone! I am in the process of bettering myself... I have my ups and downs but find ways to continue to motivate myself. If you are a typical girl like me then you too love to Pinterest. Before going to bed I like to look up motivational quotes etc. recently I have gotten a large calendar to write some of those quotes down and keep track of my workouts. This seems silly but I even use stickers to show my good days and bad days. Visuals and writing down my goals have been a huge help. Let me know if this helps and maybe I can continue to help motivate you. :)
    Sincerely,
    A motivating friend:)
  • Daveybaseball
    Daveybaseball Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Anyone who needs advice etc. or wants help let me know. Im on to maintenance and maintaining weight stage. Feel free to add me if u want. I don’t know everything, but ive found success with what ive done.
  • adri1442
    adri1442 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am also trying to loose weight, I am at my biggest and it is hard to find the motivation, i have struggled with my weight as long as i can rememeber and i have tried many diets and they work but once I get comfortable i stop doing it and I go back up.So right now Im making better food choices and eating Breakfast, lunch and dinner. Something i didnt do before. But now i feel like i gained a bit of weight i dont have a scale but about a month ago i was weighted at almost 300
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Only YOU can motivate yourself by wanting it bad enough to just follow through and commit to it. Take one day at a time and focus on getting through it. Then move on to the next day, and so forth. If you let your situation overwhelm you, it will. Stop that way of thinking now and get after it! I'm 55 and started 4/1/2019 and never looked back. Do it for your health while you are young, because it won't get any easier.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,464 Member
    Options
    Do you have a food scale? Get one. Start a food diary. Fill out your profile on MFP. When it asks you your goal, put maintain your weight. You can change it to losing later.

Try to make a menu to hit your calorie number. Make sure you always log everything into your diary. Over your number? Log it. Wildly over? Log that too.

You’ll soon find that you have a better chance to hit your number if you have a plan. Try to plan a week at a time.

Weight loss is mostly about problem solving and persistence. When you have problems, instead of throwing up you hands and waking away, try to fix them.

There’s a significant calorie counting learning curve. Give yourself plenty of time to learn the system. When you have control of the day to day process, calculate a modest calorie deficit and aim for that. Never quit.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    What if you just start by logging what you normally eat and get to know the calorie counts. THEN make a decision to start scaling back, even if it’s not the exact # MFP would give you.
  • marty_smith
    marty_smith Posts: 102 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Hi there.

First off, as someone who has lost, and gained, and lost, and gained, and lost again, life is always going to be a struggle for the likes of us. We don’t have super fast motabilism. We find it hard to lose weight and super easy to put it back on. So there are really, really simple steps you can take to change that and this is what I recommend. You can start on tuesday after easter sunday (if you have that) and you have the best season weather wise to do it. By summer you will be feeling amazing, i promise.

First, give yourself a 10 week goal.

You can shed LOADS in that time where you notice HUGE differences. I looked at my previous diary entries from 2016 and it took me 10 weeks to go from my worst to my best. Once i realised that i was committed. These 10 weeks were not grueling, they were very manageable.

Secondly, Calorie count everything, and i mean everything.

Google TDEE calculator, work out how many calories your body needs a day and try and hit 500-1000 calories below that number. Exercising 3 times a week gives you extra food calories during the day, so you can allow yourself abit of chocolate in the evenings and pasta for dinner instead of meat and salad.

Third - Saturday nights are your cheat meals. Enjoy yourself, get a takeaway or go out. Just try and get the SLIGHTLY healthier options occasionally. For eg chicken kebab instead of fatty donner kebab in my case. Or small chips and not large chips etc.

Fourth - exercise doesn’t have to be dread worthy. Just get your trainers on, even when you don’t feel like it, and get out there. You can do it, honestly. Be proud of yourself, believe in yourself and even commiting to a 15 minute work out you will probably find yourself working even harder and longer, and if you dont?? Well at least you did something.

Keep to aerobic exercise (pacey walking or jogging) and move to strength exercises once you start seeing results, but to slim down i definitely recommend jogging. You can tone up later, people will try and convince you to do it from the off but you want to see results slimming down first and running does just that. When you feel fit you can add strength in.

Lastly, keep setting new challenges to keep it interesting.

Try and keep going even when you get to a place you are content with. You know deep down you want to go further and don’t listen to others who say “oh you’re losing it too quickly”. I am personally in the best shape of my life right now ( im on about week 15) and i still have a way to go to get rid of my love handles and moobs. But the way i have kept motivating is by changing it up. First of all it was 10 week commitment, then it was joinging a running club (ruined by Coronavirus) and now since the end of March me and my partner have committed to a 30 day Challenge of 100 burpees (its killer and a nightmare but we are 11 days in now!). Setting new challenges will keep you going when you are starting to get bored of the same routine.

Thats all for now. Remember, calorie count everything. It will keep you on track even when you are bingeing. Im pGood luck.