Anyone personally affected by Covid 19?

Options

Replies

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    @lgfrie Your account is interesting on many levels. Just heard from another relative in the northwest, Oregon. Their coworker was very sick in January and went to doctor to get tested for pneumonia. The astute doctor took two tests and froze one. Doc recently tested frozen one for covid and it's positive. The half has not been told how many were positive back in January and we won't know until many take the antibody test.

https://www.jpost.com/health-science/israeli-scientists-in-three-weeks-we-will-have-coronavirus-vaccine-619101
    I hope they find one.^^

The hydro-quine angle. You would be a great candidate for a study..smart, humble and very observant. <3
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    @paperpudding - thanks...it is a hard situation. Must be heart breaking not seeing your little gd...
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Fortunately, no one I know has had a confirmed case. My brother's mother-in-law had a distant second cousin she hadn't seen in years who passed away from it. That's as close as it's gotten to us, so far.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    My mother is in a retirement home - she is in the dementia unit (she's really 'gone') and all the homes do not allow visitors, etc., This is absolutely something that has to happen - as soon as one patient or staff member has it - it spreads like wild fire...
    I'm scared I won't see her now for months...and scared that 'it' happens in her residence I'll never see her ever again.

My 95 year old father is also in a nursing home, with some dementia. His wife took him out of the home, even though she is 83 and not very strong, because they said no visitors were allowed. She has seen that even with daily visits, lack of staff means that care is often inadequate. He'll call for help to go to the bathroom and it often takes an hour for someone to respond. By then it's too late. She didn't want to leave him there with that kind if inefficiency with no oversight. If he fell, as he has done too often, he could be left untended for a long time. I worry about both of them.

Yes...this is what is before us when dealing with loved ones in homes. I hope your mother has some additional help to deal with her husband now living with her. She/they probably had to give up the housing that her husband secured too. When the world returns back to 'normal' (ha) they will have to go back on a waiting list too?
  • Diatonic12
    Options
    @lgfrie

https://www.statnews.com/2020/04/08/doctors-say-ventilators-overused-for-covid-19/

Avoiding intubating, what say you. Patients that get worse and never make it home after intubating. There has to be a better way.
  • Diatonic12
    Options
    https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/04/11/when-coronavirus-kills-its-like-death-by-drowning-and-doctors-disagree-on-best-treatment/

"If the air sacs of the lungs are so gummy that they can’t absorb oxygen, a ventilator’s high pressure could cause damage, according to an influential letter last week written by Italian and German ARDS experts in the American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine.

Amid the fatigue and stress of trying to save patients, doctors are seeking to discover what’s going so wrong.

“The way we are treating this right now isn’t working,” said Saunders. “This is either a very virulent and much more terrible disease — or, alternatively, we are treating the wrong disease, so we need to work in a different way. I deeply worry clinicians are incorrectly treating this disease as primarily an ARDS-related process when what we’re seeing suggests it’s not."

Yes, there's got to be a better way and I believe they'll find it. Sooner rather than later.