How to excersize in hot weather 🥵

Options
Anyone else find it difficult to even excersize/workout in hot weather and I’m talking in my home it’s so humid and hot I have windows open it’s like a heatwave outside because it’s getting summer what tips does anyone have please and what safety precautions should you take in hot weather thankyou

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Could you exercise earlier in the day, or later at night when it's cooler out?

You might also try wrapping a damp cloth around your neck, drink plenty of water, and take it easy if you start to feel to hot.
  • ashley_mullo155
    ashley_mullo155 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    harper16 wrote: »
    Could you exercise earlier in the day, or later at night when it's cooler out?

You might also try wrapping a damp cloth around your neck, drink plenty of water, and take it easy if you start to feel to hot.

Earlier in the day I Carnt as I have a 1 year old little boy and a 6 year old girl to look after and they just don’t let me excersize through the day lol I can at night it’s nighttime now and I’m roasting off working out for 27 mins just hate it I have panic attacks in sun I’m on antidepressants there working but just I’m struggling as It’s just getting hotter these days
  • ashley_mullo155
    ashley_mullo155 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have water with ice and I’ll try the cloth thankyou
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    As someone who'd lived in a climate that topped at around 50C in summer here's my advice: start slowly! drink enough. If you can't work out in the morning then wait until after sunset if possible. And start slowly! You'll eventually get used to the temperatures if you don't overdo things. If you work out inside and it's warmer inside then outside after sunset open two windows (or a window and house door) across the flat to let fresh air in and ventilate the whole flat.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I get up before the sun comes up to run in the summer. It's the only way I'm able to run as I can't tolerate the heat.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I get up early while it's still dark and turn on my window unit ac. If I close the door, the room stays much cooler. You will acclimate to the heat, just don't push too hard too fast.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Riding a bike outdoors is good. No, really. Riding especially on a road bike (because they're fast) means you have a constant breeze. I feel hot when I stop at red lights, but then cool off as soon as I start riding again.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Water, fan, and a less intense workout.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Keep the curtains or blinds closed in the room you exercise in to keep the sun out.
  • MichelleMcKeeRN
    MichelleMcKeeRN Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Can the 6 year old ride a bike? If so, you can put the 1 year old in a stroller and go for a walk early in the morning.
    Or maybe you have a kiddie cart you can put behind your bike and both the kids can go for a ride.
    Space your workout throughout the day. For example, 10 squats and 10 sit-ups an hour.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    The fan idea is a great one! Once you start getting some sweat going that air will hit you and cool you way down!

I get it having kids and lack of flexibility. When my kids were little I'd wake up and exercise at like 5:00AM so they would still be sleeping while I got my workouts in. It sucked but was my only option.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Limit your time in air conditioning. People move from an air conditioned house to car to office to store, then have issues exercising when warm.
  • jayhschmidt
    jayhschmidt Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Heat increases your heart rate, so if you depend on a heart-rate monitor for cues about your exercise intensity, you may not get the training effect you're after. The so-called heart rate zones need to shift upward when you're hot.