Why aren’t my steps burning calories anymore?

Options
Hi guys my steps aren’t showing as burning calories anymore, can anyone help with this at all?

Replies

• ecrispi
    ecrispi Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I read yesterday after having this issue that if you input exercise it will not count the steps calories. Which doesn’t make any sense because normal walking around is separate from exercise. Can’t say for sure but that’s what I got from google
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,690 Member
    Options
    Hi guys my steps aren’t showing as burning calories anymore, can anyone help with this at all?

Source of steps? How connected to MFP? How many steps? What's your MFP activity level?
    ecrispi wrote: »
    I read yesterday after having this issue that if you input exercise it will not count the steps calories. Which doesn’t make any sense because normal walking around is separate from exercise. Can’t say for sure but that’s what I got from google

.You may have read on MFP that certain malfunctioning/buggy/non reliable device integrations result in logged exercise reducing, instead of increasing, MFP calories

There is nothing to make sense -- it is a malfunction that has to be worked around!
  • lozzieferrin18
    lozzieferrin18 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I’m having same issue today. My steps usually convert to calories but it hasn’t done it?
  • TheHabutEffect
    TheHabutEffect Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Been having this issue for a couple of days. Steps are logged until I enter exercise, at which point the steps calories is reset to 0.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,598 Member
    Options
    Mine are off right now but I'm getting some. I did the same workout yesterday but more cardio than the day before and got 600 calories less than Friday. I was a freaking carrot over my limit for crying out loud! I'd also been putting that I burned 1 calorie for exercise and that throws off the calories burned as well.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    ecrispi wrote: »

The problem is the very rough estimate of calories merely from steps seen has no way of being known if those steps were the result of the exercise you just inputted or separate.
    So it takes it off.

That was known effect already.

There may indeed be a new bug being dealt with strictly by MFP and it reading different devices (phones usually) for steps.

But 3rd party activity trackers (Fitbit, Garmin) are syncing accounts - that other account sends your steps as 1 figure to display (like glasses of water drank), and another figure for total calories burned so far.

And even there, if you were getting adjustment calories of say 300 because the tracker said you burned say 1300 by noon, and MFP was only expected you to burn 1000 - MFP didn't care what made up the 1300.
    But if you now tell MFP you burned 300 in a workout, then your adjustment will go down so it's not double counted.
    Your eating goal will still go up by 300 though.

Sadly all these threads that get started - I don't think I've seen once where the person came back and answered any questions for anyone to either assist or inform the effect was correct.

For everyone above noticing this effect that has commented so far:
    Are you syncing with a 3rd party account - Fitbit or Garmin or Pacer?

If you did not do that through MFP Apps page - but you went into Step Source settings and picked a phone or some other device - what did you pick?

In either case - are you logging workouts on MFP?
    If you synced with tracker account - do they already have or receive that workout info?
  • heybales
    Options
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    Mine are off right now but I'm getting some. I did the same workout yesterday but more cardio than the day before and got 600 calories less than Friday. I was a freaking carrot over my limit for crying out loud! I'd also been putting that I burned 1 calorie for exercise and that throws off the calories burned as well.

If you are actually syncing accounts - then what you do by logging a 1 calorie workout is send that back over to the other account - they replace that whole chunk of time with 1 calorie, and update the total daily burned calories.

So if they had sent at noon you burned 1300 and that included a 300 workout they knew about - and you logged a 1 calorie workout on MFP - that would sync over, replace the 300 with 1, and now the account would sync back 1001 calories burned at noon.

Never want to log 1 calories - huge problem.
  • heybales
    Options
    Since no one said what they were actually syncing with if syncing, or getting steps from if doing that (those are 2 different things) - here's the Known issues page.

Several with S-Health which would be account syncing, some device issues mentioned too.

https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/categories/360002215711-Troubleshooting