The lockdown hasn't been good to me?

Lost 60lbs 4 years ago, kept it off until now. I knew I was gaining in lockdown but didn't want to admit it. I stepped on the scales this morning, up 10lbs in 2 weeks. I need to nip that in the bud before it gets out of hand. Okay I am not working, however, as those in the UK will know we are allowed out to exercise and I have been out every day walking or running. Yesterday was a 5-mile walk for example. Its the amount of junk food I have been eating and not tracking that's the issue, not much else to do when around the house.

I do need to lose the weight but I know my mindset isn't in the right place to do it at the moment. I guess junk food brings comfort at the moment with the way things are. Then we have Easter coming up and the house is full of Easter Eggs.

Anyone else going through this at the moment? Or how do you get yourself in the right mindset again?

Replies

• Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,105 Member
    I'm feeling this too, I'm exercising when I can but I'm barely getting 3000 steps in while working at home and the cravings have won recently. I darent get on the scales!
    I started off thinking ok its a couple of weeks I'll go for maintenance and treat it like a holiday - i.e eating loads and not logging.
    Shopping is difficult too, the choice and opportunity isn't there at the moment so it's harder to buy fresh and easier to get takeaways or convenience food.

I have 12 days off work now so I'm going to use the time to adjust to this temporary norm.

I've got some jobs to do around the house and garden to keep myself busy.
    I've got time to cook properly so I need to get organised with the shopping, or just be creative with what i can get.
    I'm also getting back to basics, drink plenty of water, go to bed at a sensible time and pre plan/log my meals.

Your 10lbs won't all be fat, eating more food and particularly more junk food will result in some water weight so don't despair.

Think back to how you lost those 60lbs and how good it felt, try putting some of your strategies back into your daily routine. Can you try a new hobby to keep you from boredom eating? Or are you able to volunteer? Our town is constantly asking for people to help deliver foods and medicines to the elderly and vulnerable.
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    A friend of mine referred to it as the covid nineteen.

I was just thinking about how this reference is underused vs. 15.
  • yuko0407
    yuko0407 Posts: 67 Member
    Same for me, and even worst, as immediately before the lockdown I just come through a very stressful time at work, that already made my weight grow a bit. And before all that, I was only 4 lb away from my maintenance target! Too bad! I'm not sure to be able to come back to my "old" calories target during the lockdown, but I've to manage a kind of strategy to limit the damage...
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    I don't have much more weight to lose so at the moment I am focusing on maintenance. However I am really concentrating on exercise - doing something vigorous really helps me mentally as well as physically.

It's hard to avoid junk food when stressed, but maybe focus on the fact that you want to be in the best shape you can in case you are unlucky enough to get the virus. Weight is a risk factor, according to what I have read, so might that motivate you to log more assiduously?

Anyway, good luck and stay well.
  • RoseyandReady
    RoseyandReady Posts: 256 Member
    edited April 2020
    I'm up and down. I have days where I workout to a few different videos or lift weights. Next day, I'm craving sugar and very tired. I have still been able to lose a bit or no gain some weeks. It's an energy rollercoaster for me. Hang in there.
  • John772016
    John772016 Posts: 113 Member
    edited April 2020
    dave_in_ni wrote: »
    Lost 60lbs 4 years ago, kept it off until now. I knew I was gaining in lockdown but didn't want to admit it. I stepped on the scales this morning, up 10lbs in 2 weeks. I need to nip that in the bud before it gets out of hand. Okay I am not working, however, as those in the UK will know we are allowed out to exercise and I have been out every day walking or running. Yesterday was a 5-mile walk for example. Its the amount of junk food I have been eating and not tracking that's the issue, not much else to do when around the house.

I do need to lose the weight but I know my mindset isn't in the right place to do it at the moment. I guess junk food brings comfort at the moment with the way things are. Then we have Easter coming up and the house is full of Easter Eggs.

Anyone else going through this at the moment? Or how do you get yourself in the right mindset again?

If your mindset isn't in the right place to do it at the moment, I'd say at least log your food honestly right now. When you mindset catches up to realizing what you need to do, you'll have all the data that you need to do it. That can be very powerful to you.
    Everyone is feeling stress right now, cut yourself a bit of slack(not too much!)
    (j/k 😁)
    ...and you'll be fine.