Best apps for exercise routines?

Options
Hi guys!

I was wondering if there were any recommendations of really didactic, holding-baby-hands apps for lifting/muscle training.

I am just starting to move a little and I dont have time for a gym or budget for a trainer right now - uni gets me sitting on my *kitten* anywhere from six to fifteen hours a day >not counting homework< and my money is pretty tight. However! I am using Down Dog as an stand in for yoga classes, and I like how it is pretty varied and has all these customizable settings so I can do what i am able to in any given day, and the videos and explanations require zero brain processing to follow along. I was wondering if there were similar apps for other kinds of exercises, especially muscle training, because I really have no idea what I'm supposed to do when I look at the workout routines here.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Apps are good at recording and listing things - the routine you want to do for lifting.

Do not use them for how you are to do form though - too limited.
    And frankly for form to avoid injury - you are going to have to supply some brain power.

Zero brain power for lifting would be hiring a coach to watch you and correct you, and even then you are actually going to have to think about things.

There is no way an app or even a website tutorial can say this is how YOU should do this lift exactly.
    There are pointers to look out for, methods to confirm - but it requires effort.
    Body mechanics differ between people, muscle strength and balance differ, ect.

There are good apps for logging this activity though. I like FitNotes for Android.

And of course good resources as to what routine to do, and how to do it.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    What about workout videos? Just follow the instructor...
  • maripecanha938
    maripecanha938 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    What about workout videos? Just follow the instructor...

I tried to watch some, but I am having trouble finding one that is truly beginner, couch potato, plus size with zero conditioning or equipment- friendly. I am talking about cannot-hold-the-plank-pose-for-more-than-three-seconds level of wet noodle arms, for example, so doing the push ups my beginner yoga routine asks incurs a risk of orthodontic injury, which is what I was hoping some dedicated exercising could mitigate. It could be just me not knowing exactly what to search for though, so if you could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated!!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Yoga by Adrienne has a lot of beginner videos
  • Morgaine_on_the_move
    Morgaine_on_the_move Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Fitness Blender has some beginner, low-impact videos.