Carry weights to lose arm fats?

Options
Hi guys I’m really trying hard to lose weight in general and I have a big broad shoulder for girl. Recently I’ve been working my bicep and triceps using 5kg dumbbell. All I’m seeing is my arms are getting bigger instead of smaller and it’s making me bigger than I already am. Should I stop working my arms in order to shrink it? Help me out. My main focus is for my arms to not go any bigger

Replies

• MichelleMcKeeRN
    MichelleMcKeeRN Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I have big arms and legs for my body size. Lifting weights makes the muscle bigger but it also burns calories and makes everything more shapely. If you just want skinny arms, lifting weights is probably not for you. If you want firm rounded arms, you probably want to reduce calories and lift.
  • UmaMageswarymfp
    UmaMageswarymfp Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I have big arms and legs for my body size. Lifting weights makes the muscle bigger but it also burns calories and makes everything more shapely. If you just want skinny arms, lifting weights is probably not for you. If you want firm rounded arms, you probably want to reduce calories and lift.

I am lifting but that’s the thing it’s makes my entire shoulder looks bigger but what if I stop lifting after weeks will it shrink more than the actual size ?
  • UmaMageswarymfp
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    The bigger focus should be in your diet. You will lose arm size generally as you lose body fat. And more importantly, give it time. You lose body fat all over.

I am focusing on my diet been weeks but I rarely see any changes :)))
  • bighoopattitude
    bighoopattitude Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    We all know you can’t spot train, but IME keeping arms small and shapely rather than toned and muscular is more about constant light weight movements rather than actual weight lifting. Think movements like swimming or kickboxing rather than reps with hand weights. Now. You can absolutely benefit from very light weight hand weights, but if your goal is slender arms rather than shapely do exercises in terms of minutes rather than reps. That’s my plan anyway. I have muscular legs which has come from high intense exercise like sprinting and running (not jogging). I don’t want that for my arms so I’m just approaching it differently.
  • bighoopattitude
    bighoopattitude Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Also. I’m not going to bother you with the ‘diet is important’ speech because you know that and it’s not what you asked. You asked to specific advice related to arms,🤗.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I lift weights about what you described (8-12 lb range). I’m now at goal weight and have noticed that my “larger” looking arms and shoulders are now looking nice and defined with obviously toned muscles.

It took the final ten pounds of weight loss for it to be very obvious. I’d keep doing what you’re doing and even though you’re building muscle, as you lose fat over it through watching your calories, you’ll eventually look much trimmer.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Are you losing weight? That will be the biggest factor.

Also you might be retaining water if you are lifting so your arms might appear bigger. If you are in a deficit, while it is possible to build some muscle it is usually not significant enough to be growing large amounts of muscle in a short period of time.

I lift (heavy for me, around 8-12 rep range) while in a deficit and I get smaller and tighter. If I get too low in bodyfat my arms start to get defined but they are still quite small despite the lifting. Genetics can be a factor too, you might just lose in your arms last. We are usually the most bothered by the areas we lose last.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The bigger focus should be in your diet. You will lose arm size generally as you lose body fat. And more importantly, give it time. You lose body fat all over.

First, you should be thinking in terms of months, not weeks. Second, are you actually losing weight? It isn't clear that you are. If you aren't losing weight, than i would figure out why you aren't. For example, do you log daily? Do you use a food scale? How many calories are you eating?
  • owieprone
    owieprone Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    OP remember to measure your body dimensions and not just your weight, keep an eye on how you look in the mirror and how your clothes feel/fit. As you say you are gaining muscle this will hide some of your fat loss, muscle weighs more. Muscle also uses more calories. There is no reason to stop your current regime, as psuLemon says you need to think in months not weeks to see good results, until then you'll notice some changes but it takes a while for real gains to show up.

I, for instance, have lost just 2lbs in 2 weeks, however I've seen exponential growth in muscle in that time, so I've not doubt lost alot more than 2lbs of fat, the muscle gain has just hidden it for now. I feel much fitter and like the muscle i'm gaining so i don't care what weight i turn out to be as long as i get to the look i'm going for.

Enjoy the journey :D
  • UmaMageswarymfp
    Options

First, you should be thinking in terms of months, not weeks. Second, are you actually losing weight? It isn't clear that you are. If you aren't losing weight, than i would figure out why you aren't. For example, do you log daily? Do you use a food scale? How many calories are you eating?

I’ve lost 20kg so far. My goal is to lose another 20kg.
  • UmaMageswarymfp
    Options
    owieprone wrote: »
    OP remember to measure your body dimensions and not just your weight, keep an eye on how you look in the mirror and how your clothes feel/fit. As you say you are gaining muscle this will hide some of your fat loss, muscle weighs more. Muscle also uses more calories. There is no reason to stop your current regime, as psuLemon says you need to think in months not weeks to see good results, until then you'll notice some changes but it takes a while for real gains to show up.

I, for instance, have lost just 2lbs in 2 weeks, however I've seen exponential growth in muscle in that time, so I've not doubt lost alot more than 2lbs of fat, the muscle gain has just hidden it for now. I feel much fitter and like the muscle i'm gaining so i don't care what weight i turn out to be as long as i get to the look i'm going for.

Enjoy the journey :D

So I’ve been on this journey for a year now but recently had a binging period so I’m getting back to the calorie deficit again and during that binging period I gained about 5kgs from the 20kgs I’ve lost so that is why now I’m very conscious with my arms I feel like I gain the 5kgs in my arms. If I continuously lift 5 kgs I my arms keeps looking bigger not much difference on the scale though.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I have very broad shoulders, although I don't mind them they do have a tendency to go a bit more rugby player if I do weights.

I have found body weight exercises to be effective -yoga, tai chi things like that. There are a lot of poses that require arm strength, it's also a whole body work out and I feel the benefits in other ways.

There are loads of online resources to try.
  • niniundlapin
    niniundlapin Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I used to think I have broad shoulders and thick, floppy arms. That was only 3-5 kg ago but it took me about 2 years to finally see the main difference on my arms. They are no where near perfect, but I like the slightly showing definition. This is not for discouragement since 2 years seems to be really long, but when you start to focus on the big picture (overall achievement and other benefits from lifting weights) it’s easier to get through a mentally stressful situation like this. I said mentally because OP you’ve accomplished a lot already <3

I’d recommend you to try different types of workouts & to challenge yourself though. Can you do standard push-ups on your toes? How much can you carry for shoulder press? How about some back muscle related exercises? I found those to be even more helpful in terms of strengthening my upper body and giving it a more satisfying appearance.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Especially if only 5kg DBs, as a female not spending hours and hours for years and years on weight training, it's extremely unlikely that you are going to have an issue of too much muscle bulk. At most, expect some nice muscle definition when that fat does finally come off the arms.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

I’ve lost 20kg so far. My goal is to lose another 20kg.

Keep losing weight and you will get leaner. Its far that is making the bulk, not muscle, especially if you have 20 kg to lose.
  • UmaMageswarymfp
    Options
    I used to think I have broad shoulders and thick, floppy arms. That was only 3-5 kg ago but it took me about 2 years to finally see the main difference on my arms. They are no where near perfect, but I like the slightly showing definition. This is not for discouragement since 2 years seems to be really long, but when you start to focus on the big picture (overall achievement and other benefits from lifting weights) it’s easier to get through a mentally stressful situation like this. I said mentally because OP you’ve accomplished a lot already <3

I’d recommend you to try different types of workouts & to challenge yourself though. Can you do standard push-ups on your toes? How much can you carry for shoulder press? How about some back muscle related exercises? I found those to be even more helpful in terms of strengthening my upper body and giving it a more satisfying appearance.

Awww thank you , also no pushups are really hard for me , I can’t even get through 5 without dying but other than that I think I’m doing ok
  • UmaMageswarymfp
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    Especially if only 5kg DBs, as a female not spending hours and hours for years and years on weight training, it's extremely unlikely that you are going to have an issue of too much muscle bulk. At most, expect some nice muscle definition when that fat does finally come off the arms.

So it appears to me from all the replies, the bulk I’m feeling around my arms are actually fats and not bigger muscles difference ? Because ever since I started lifting the 5kgs that’s when I started to feel bigger esp my upper body that’s why I’m questioning if I should stop cause it’s demotivating me so much everytime I look at the mirror