• Jesseray9369
    Jesseray9369 Posts: 21 Member
    Following this!
  • Staycie40
    Staycie40 Posts: 19 Member
    Thank you :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,372 MFP Moderator
    I would agree with @sardelsa but would caveat it with, there are more limitations to at home workouts if you don't have equipment. One of the major drivers is going to be training age. The more experienced, the harder it will be without having a home gym. Another is the ability to increase volume (reps×set×weight) can be difficult. One way to add some benefit is by increasing intensity or increase stress by reducing resy if possible.

I am actually using this time as an extended deload to help recover from some nagging injuries. So i am mainly doing random workout videos.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Depends on the muscles. Big or defined? I've done most of my work at home. But was never looking for size.
  • Staycie40
    Hey thanks.....defined muscles....Im used to working out at home .....but I want some definition now 💪🏽
  • psuLemon
    Staycie40 wrote: »
    Hey thanks.....defined muscles....Im used to working out at home .....but I want some definition now 💪🏽

That is largely driven from diet. How does that look?
  • Staycie40
    Right now its not as great as I want it to be .....
  • Moni0031
    Moni0031 Posts: 46 Member
    Great info! I think on a great balance and great schedule you will get where yu need to be. Gaining muscle is so hard!
  • psuLemon
    Right now its not as great as I want it to be .....

I suspect that is where you should focus.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Yes.

What equipment you need is dependant on the exercise selection.

Ideally a barbell, free weights, squat rack, bench will be a more than adequate set up.

That doesn't mean you can't achieve hypertrophy with other means. There are endless options.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness

Most of what I have achieved over the last year had been at home. Do you have some dumbbells and a barbell? Also an exercise /stability ball is really helpful.
  • Staycie40
    Thanks ..yes yes equipments..... I'm gonna need a bar bell...I have 3 sets of dumbbells and also up my protein intake
  • Buff_Man
    Buff_Man Posts: 622 Member
    Agree with what's been said already. Definition will come from dropping body fat, muscle size and tone will come from resistance work. You can certainly do both at the same time if your diet is in check and your workouts allow you to progressively overload (work harder) each week. Barbell not essential but great if you can get one. Dumbbells and kettle bells are great too
  • Staycie40
    Thanks guys 🤗
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    Yep I don't have a barbell.

Calisthenics. Pushups and Squats. If you can, do Globlet Squats or Romanian Deadlifts, otherwise just use bodyweight. For Pushups make sure your form is really good. I can share a great youtube on perfect form if you like.

Use the Stability Ball for dumbbell pull overs for your core hypertrophy and Lats. Also use the ball for bench press and inclined press. Lots of reps for definition go heavier for size.

If you have any resistance bands there are some great moves to add to hit obliques, rear delts and biceps.
  • steveonumber7
    steveonumber7 Posts: 18 Member
    Are we talking short term muscle building whilst we are all in lockdown or long term 'home gym' scenario?
    I have worked out at home for the last 10 years, but did have commercial type equipment at hand.
    You can easily build muscle at home, but lets not forget the key components, consistency, progressive overload, nutrition, rest.
    I would have thought that the one above that would be the problem is progressive overload, there's only so many sets and reps you can add with the same weight, before it gets a bit silly.
    The realistic answer is, and I know we are in crazy times at the moment, but....
    For the best results, a fully equiped gym and ideally a PT would be the best advice I could give.

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I found some videos in YouTube that are good, and I'm sure there are thousands more. So far, Sydney Cummings, Les Mills bodypump (they put out a free page because of covid-19), and Yvette Bachman have had some that I like. I use dumbbells, bodyweight, have some bands/tubing, and a step.
  • Staycie40
    Thank you