How do you stay motivated?

Options
Finding it difficult to stay motivated right now. I at one point was so focused and enjoyed working out. I find myself dreading my workouts now. How do you get yourself out of these funks?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I just have to force it. I would never succeed if I relied on motivation to get me there.
  • BaDaSsBrUnEtTe
    BaDaSsBrUnEtTe Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I just have to force it. I would never succeed if I relied on motivation to get me there.

I think I'm missing the time in my life when I didnt need to force it.
  • annieu613
    annieu613 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way at the start of quarantine. I just dreaded my workouts and didn't do anything for about two weeks. I really just had to force myself to do it. I made a deal with myself that I would just do a 15 minute HIIT workout, or a short run around the neighborhood, just to get myself moving. Then I found a new workout routine that I got excited about and I'm back to working out regularly for the past two weeks. I would say just get dressed and do something, even if it doesn't feel like a "full" workout, at least get moving.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    I'm at the point where I'm committed now, but when I hit those funks I think about how far I've come. I have a pair of very large shorts I used to wear that was getting tight on my when I first started. Now I can easily fit into one leg with space. I put those on from time to time to remind myself.

Mixing up my workout routine, trying something new or buy some new fitness things for my home gym helped as well.

Other times I needed to take a maintenance break. I was loving my progress, but I was working too hard which stressed my body out. Taking a short break from fitness and eating more gave my body and hormones a much needed reset. Then I was ready to get back to work. This may not be the case for your situation however.

Motivation only worked for me at the very beginning of my journey. I eventually had to try different things, figure out a schedule, stick to what was working (or switch it up from time to time) and stay dedicated which gave me that staying power.

Good luck

• gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I am someone who has never liked purposeful exercise. I love walks and hikes, and I much prefer to work up my regular everyday activity little by little (taking stairs, parking far away, taking multiple trips to do things in my home, etc) than to do an hour of purposeful exercise. So I pack my life full of fun walks and hikes for most of my activity.

I have come to know this about myself, and that’s why I make my purposeful workouts as short and simple as possible so I don’t get burnt out. I do 15 minutes of strength building exercises, 3 times a week. I always put my workout clothes on as SOON as I get up and have to do my workout before I eat my breakfast. I reduced the friction and the amount of time I have to really think and ruminate and talk myself out of exercising. I also made a deal with myself that even though doing exercises with small dumbbells is good for my muscles, I can just run in place if I REALLY don’t feel like doing the workout. Usually I think about doing that, but the dumbbells are already there in front of me so I just go for it.

Maybe you’re like me, and long sessions of purposeful exercise are not your preferred way to get active. Have you experimented with different activities instead, something easier and more fun to work into your life? (A sport you like, long walks or hikes, rock climbing, rowing?) Then you can shorten or simplify your purposeful workouts to make them easier to keep consistent with.
  • zkpayan
    zkpayan Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Finding it difficult to stay motivated right now. I at one point was so focused and enjoyed working out. I find myself dreading my workouts now. How do you get yourself out of these funks?

I use the community features to add as many friends as possible. When I see that there are other people working towards a similar goal or I can see what they are doing to succeed it makes me want to do more. It's like surrounding yourself with people who just want the same thing as you!
  • BaDaSsBrUnEtTe
    BaDaSsBrUnEtTe Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    zkpayan wrote: »

I use the community features to add as many friends as possible. When I see that there are other people working towards a similar goal or I can see what they are doing to succeed it makes me want to do more. It's like surrounding yourself with people who just want the same thing as you!

When I first started MFP 8 years ago that was very helpful. Almost all of my friends from that period have left, and the few that are left are inactive now.
  • coachchbrown
    coachchbrown Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I’ve been using MFP for several years, but just started adding friends a few months ago.... and glad I did. Having a good group of friends has helped my motivation out a ton during these times. If you are looking for committed members, Feel free to add me; I log my workouts everyday