Which workouts surprised YOU w/near-immediate results?

Options
So I want to tone up a bit, in general, quickly. Just for a little ego boost. =D Any recommendations?

Was there a workout you did where you saw some surprisingly immediate results?

EQUIPMENT: I have a bike and a set of 2 free-weight barbells with interchangeable plates (up to 15 lbs. each) if that helps. I don't have enough room indoors to do a video yet (but I'm moving in a few weeks and will be starting P90X Lean) so stuff I can do outdoors, on the cheap is best. I don't really work out yet but I'm not afraid of pain. Bring on the intensity. :) Also, I plan to incorporate anything I start now into my weekly routine from here on out. :)

I know everyone's body responds differently but I'd like to hear what worked for you. Thanks for any input!

Replies

• caroltina
    caroltina Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Squats and lunges, I did a month doing 100 a day lost 3 inches on my hips much firmer butt!!!!
  • lausa22
    lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    JM- 30DS;
    I got really quick results, even though I only did level one, because I sprained my knee due to something not related to the 30DS.
    I lost about 2 inches off nearly everything in a week!
  • caroltina
    Options
    Oh and goos point no equipment needed and not much space needed, I used the kitchen worktop to hold to do really deep squats, worked well
  • caroltina
    Options
    Oh and goos point no equipment needed and not much space needed, I used the kitchen worktop to hold to do really deep squats, worked well
  • mmuzzatti
    mmuzzatti Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Wow, that is a tough one...I think my best results is the elliptical because I can feel it in my body. My workout now, since I just came back to the MFP world is doing just cardio till I get to my goal weight then start a new routine with a complete gym workout...of course I am 30 pounds away from that goal!

Take care and go work out today!
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred!!

Also, any kind of boxing moves with your arms!
  • maysflower
    Options
    I've always found that TaeBo gives pretty amazing results in a short period of time. After about a week I was already seeing muscle definition.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone for everything so far!

I know it got lost in the little wall of text but I can't do any videos yet. :)

Keep them coming!
  • mizfrankie
    Options
    Push ups. Do as many as you can in one set (til your arms give out) then wait 2 minutes and do 3-5 less than your first round and so on for 4 rounds. Then on the 5th round do them til your arms give out. It takes not a lot of time and if you do it every day your whole core strength will improve AND your reps will increase significantly.
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    Push ups. Do as many as you can in one set (til your arms give out) then wait 2 minutes and do 3-5 less than your first round and so on for 4 rounds. Then on the 5th round do them til your arms give out. It takes not a lot of time and if you do it every day your whole core strength will improve AND your reps will increase significantly.

Last couple of times I tried push-ups I couldn't even do ONE! But you've inspired me to try again! Why do we always forget the simple stuff? ;)

I'll try on a chair to start. THANKS! :drinker:
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    you don't need much room for the 30ds, you need to be able to do star jumps and lie down for sit ups/push ups, but that's about as much room as you need. My uni flat I'm moving into on Wednesday is tiny but there's still enough space for the 30ds!
  • thibautseeker
    thibautseeker Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Yoga - almost instant body shape improvements, I do 15 minutes of very basic stretches and although still very overweight I now have a waistline (I'm naturally apple shaped), that people have commented on.

I use Barbara Currie's 10 minute miracle session plus I do some shoulder neck release movements which takes it up to 15 mins.

There are lots of great yoga DVDs out there and plenty of classes too. If you've never done yoga before I'd recommend a class if possible so you know what you are doing and there is someone to correct your posture.
  • girlygirlnicole
    girlygirlnicole Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Skipping ropes. Changed my body dramatically, gave me a line down my stomach, made everywhere look toned up and great, i done this for 15 minutes in the morning and then 15 at night for a good while, then i upped my minutes gradually.
  • msrobinson77
    Options
    Good topic! I just started Zumba about a month ago and finally the scale is starting to move.
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    Skipping ropes. Changed my body dramatically, gave me a line down my stomach, made everywhere look toned up and great, i done this for 15 minutes in the morning and then 15 at night for a good while, then i upped my minutes gradually.

Ooh. I REALLY like this! Thank you!

Thanks very much all! These are fantastic suggestions. Keep them coming!
  • december8teen
    Options
    Long period, low intensity cardio workout works the best for me.

The elliptical trainer and rowing machine are my best friends.

I usually use the elliptical trainer for an hour and burned 500 cals, and 45 minutes on the rowing machine and burned 200 cals. 700 cals a day for my gym work out.

You might think I'm a little overboard with my near 2 hours cardio spree...but...*smiles*

Very effective.
  • vegetarian218
    vegetarian218 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Running in place using high intensity interval training. I found out about it in searching the forums for HIIT where you can find more info. Since I don't have a timer, I recorded audio files to prompt me on when to change intervals and made a cd that I play when run on the Wii Fit Plus. You don't need a Wii Fit Plus for this, I just like using mine. For the intervals, I looked at this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_interval_training and chose the 'Little Method' since it seemed the easiest for me to set up. Anyhow, I broke through a plateau super cheap and have been losing so I recommend giving it a try! :)
  • vegetarian218
    vegetarian218 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    p.s. - the little method of HIIT that I use is 26 minutes. Not bad for quick weight loss...
  • MamaKatel
    Options
    Any workout from Pauline Nordin delivers fast results! Within the first week I saw tons of definition in my legs (my trouble area)
  • girlygirlnicole
    girlygirlnicole Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Your welcome :P
    Yeah just make sure you jump this is for your core and for the line to appear, make sure you switch from jumping to actual skipping/jogging with the ropes aswell, switch over once your legs get tired. Dont get dishearted because its hard work to start with, keep at it, and i pormise you will see great results.

And the best skipping ropes to buy are like the ones from argos, theyre sort of rubber, the rope ones are rubbish.

I started off with rubbish ones but didnt know better intill my boyfriend bought some for my birthday which was
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9267545/Trail/searchtext>SKIPPING+ROPES.htm
    they're great they make you glide and go faster because of there handle.

Good luck =)