What is your nutritional strategy for your goals?

Options
LJRS2019
LJRS2019 Posts: 66 Member
What are you doing in the kitchen to support you in getting to you goals?

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Cooking.
  • LJRS2019
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Cooking.

Haha, yeah probably a stupid question really.
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    My goal is to maintain my weight at a healthy BMI. Through tracking my food, I’ve determined my current maintenance calories are approximately 2200 per day. So I’m tracking my food, hitting an average of 2200 calories per day (using a food scale and making most of my food at home), and measuring my weight every day (using a weight-trend app to ensure I’m staying within my healthy weight range).
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    LJRS2019 wrote: »
    Cooking.

Not saying it is stupid, but my answer really is that simple. IME, cooking plus mindfulness/awareness of what my goals are.

Are you focused on specific nutritional goals?
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Adding more fiber than usual to more foods. I'm big fan of this one from North Coast Naturals. However, I also eat more veggies than fruit on a day-to-day basis.
  • LJRS2019
    Options
    Cooking.

Not saying it is stupid, but my answer really is that simple. IME, cooking plus mindfulness/awareness of what my goals are.

Started just getting into the habit of tracking - lost 10lb but now I am looking at implementing a more thought out strategy.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    Cooking.

Started just getting into the habit of tracking - lost 10lb but now I am looking at implementing a more thought out strategy.

That's a great start. I think the best way to move forward often is tracking for a while and then looking over your diary to find easy things you can improve -- more veg? more protein? more fiber? -- stuff like that.

I have a variety of kitchen equipment (like an Instant Pot and a fancy food processor with all kinds of attachments) that I never actually use, so my plan going forward is to use this time at home to experiment with these things and see if I will actually enjoy using them.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    To add to @lemurcat2's cooking answer - meal prepping/planning. I know what breakfast and lunch is going to be all week, and a vague idea about dinner. This helps me put my meals together in a way that meets my calorie and macro targets.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,291 Member
    Options
    Very basic strategy here:
    - log food
    - stay at a calorie deficit
    - be mindful of how much protein I eat, to reduce the risk of losing muscle
  • LJRS2019
    edited April 2020
    Options
    @quiksylver296 Thanks - I guess that is what I am trying to do really. My nutrition is shocking at the moment. I want to start working towards a diet that supports fat loss, muscle preservation, illhealth prevention etc.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 2,007 Member
    Options
    I focus on a balanced macro diet with emphasis on higher protein. I mainly cook at home so I know exactly what is going into my food. I also weigh all my food and log every day to keep things as accurate as possible. I have no problems eating the same things over and over.
  • aimeetu
    aimeetu Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the goal right? I'm trying to focus right now on being able to include a cocktail on most days till after quarantine :smile: But seriously I'm trying to get more protein than carbs
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    My nutritional strategy is based on who and what I am. I am not training for the Olympics or even a local marathon so I do not need to eat like I am. Nutrition for an ordinary schmo is fairly easy to accomplish with variety and little emphasis placed on protein. I do not need everything to be nutrient dense. I need some of it to be nutrient dense. Some of it I need to be fun food to keep me from feeling deprived.

• lemurcat2
    Options
    @quiksylver296 Thanks - I guess that is what I am trying to do really. My nutrition is shocking at the moment. I want to start working towards a diet that supports fat loss, muscle preservation, illhealth prevention etc.

To add to what quiksylver said, one strategy is to identify the things you believe you need to improve -- which is usually about what is MISSING in your diet -- and then thinking about (or asking here for ideas) what you can do to improve it.

It often works to focus on one meal at a time, too. I have a couple of breakfasts I alternate between, a few basic lunches or else I make lunch ahead for the week or have leftovers from dinner, and then a usual dinner template (some combination of a protein, a starch, and lots of veg).