2»

Replies

• lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    xophne wrote: »
    lgfrie wrote: »
    People are disagreeing with personal comments that aren’t meant to be factual. Nice move.

There's a lot of that here. Ignore it, especially if you plan to opine on IF. Some people here are driven into paroxysms by IF talk and, especially, personal testimonials that it works. Once you're under their skin as an IF-fer, you can get a Disagree for saying "Thank you for your concern", as you experienced a little earlier.

Welcome to MFP. Congrats on the 45 lbs. I hit 71 lbs lost before Covid-19 AKA "the Diet Killer", and now I sadly must report it's only 67, the first time in 10 months I gave back any of my progress, but I'm pretty much back in the saddle and kicking Quarantine's butt at this point. Unfortunately boredom binging was always a problem with me and Quarantine is heinously boring. Ah well, I guess I'll get off the computer and go watch Breaking Bad for the third time.

Yes, I see that lol. Thank you for the welcome and congratulations. 67lbs is still great progress, I’m trying to lose about 20 more. I feel great overall and much less hungry and I’m at my 19hr 21 minute mark. I def plan to continue this longterm, as I love how IF makes me feel. Before IF I cleaned up unhealthy eating habits so it helped me fast without feeling as hungry/uncomfortable with cravings.

Sorry about the setback! & I love Breaking Bad as well. How did you feel about El Camino?

I haven't watched El Camino yet. I discovered Better Call Saul in February, which I liked a lot, but my memory of BB was a little fuzzy from my last re-watch in 2015 and that was taking away from my ability to savor some of the character development and story world in BCS, so I paused BCS to re-watch Breaking Bad again - am now in the last season (finally). Meanwhile, Netflix issued a new season of BCS on me LOL So when I finish BB and then catch up on BCS, I'm off to El Camino as kind of the dessert topping for the overall effort.

I'm OK with the setback of 4 lbs, which was actually 6.4 lbs before I regrouped. I was worried for a few weeks as I watched my old obese-person eating habits creeping back - overeating supplementing by binging, and especially, not being able to comply with "it's before noon or after 7 pm and that means NO calories", the cornerstone of my diet that had worked so well and consistently for 10 months. One night during quarantine some people in my county succumbed to covid-19 and I binged three entire packages of Pepperidge Farm cookies (!) and three tall sleeves of Ritz crackers (!) which totals to around 6,000 calories, in probably 30 minutes, and I felt like it was all coming unglued, because that was what I used to do all the time before New Me. To my horror, New Me was just Old Me ten months later, oops! But now that I've worked my way through a third of the damage and have things back under control, I'm actually thinking it was a blessing in disguise. It wasn't a bad thing to be reminded that coming up with a system and losing a bunch of weight and posting on forums doesn't mean I don't have food issues or won't always have them. It's got me refocused, and 6.5 pounds, now 4, wasn't a huge price to pay for that knowledge. I've come out the back end more skeptical of the whole "You have to develop new habits" mantra. I believe in that mantra 100 % and have worked very hard to develop new habits, but it isn't enough. Self-discipline and honest self-awareness are just as important; hopefully I gained a bit of the latter during this quarantine. It's easy to get a bit hubristic on a successful weight loss run, but hubris is never helpful.
  • xophne
    xophne Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I would not want to add mental stress right now but unless you are tapping out all your normal energy reserves exercising while fasted I do not see why it would add physiological stress.

Mental stress/misery though is something to avoid. Not because it might make you more likely to get ill which does seem to happen to some people too regularly to be coincidence but because isolation can be hard enough. I have no way of knowing who might feel this way or if anyone would. I am just speculating.

Exercising while fasted is interesting. I have found that if I do not establish a limit I can burn enough calories to run myself off an energy cliff which is unpleasant for many hours even after eating. I feel poorly and I have a headache. I assume if I feel that bad I am experiencing some physiological stress. I am certainly feeling some mental stress.

Agreed. For that same reason I haven’t exercised while fasting. I think once I really master IF I can attempt to do that but right now I wouldn’t wanna risk it mid fast. Definitely something to think about for the future. For now I am content and the least stressed with waiting until after I break my fasts.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I’m mostly doing it for weight loss and calorie restriction. ^

Well, you can do both without IF...
  • xophne
    Options

I know lol. Also doing it for other reasons, those are just my main.
  • xophne
    Options

Hence “Mostly”.
  • xophne
    edited April 2020
    Options
    People are disagreeing with personal comments that aren’t meant to be factual. Nice move.

There's a lot of that here. Ignore it, especially if you plan to opine on IF. Some people here are driven into paroxysms by IF talk and, especially, personal testimonials that it works. Once you're under their skin as an IF-fer, you can get a Disagree for saying "Thank you for your concern", as you experienced a little earlier.

Welcome to MFP. Congrats on the 45 lbs. I hit 71 lbs lost before Covid-19 AKA "the Diet Killer", and now I sadly must report it's only 67, the first time in 10 months I gave back any of my progress, but I'm pretty much back in the saddle and kicking Quarantine's butt at this point. Unfortunately boredom binging was always a problem with me and Quarantine is heinously boring. Ah well, I guess I'll get off the computer and go watch Breaking Bad for the third time.

Yes, I see that lol. Thank you for the welcome and congratulations. 67lbs is still great progress, I’m trying to lose about 20 more. I feel great overall and much less hungry and I’m at my 19hr 21 minute mark. I def plan to continue this longterm, as I love how IF makes me feel. Before IF I cleaned up unhealthy eating habits so it helped me fast without feeling as hungry/uncomfortable with cravings.

Sorry about the setback! & I love Breaking Bad as well. How did you feel about El Camino?

I haven't watched El Camino yet. I discovered Better Call Saul in February, which I liked a lot, but my memory of BB was a little fuzzy from my last re-watch in 2015 and that was taking away from my ability to savor some of the character development and story world in BCS, so I paused BCS to re-watch Breaking Bad again - am now in the last season (finally). Meanwhile, Netflix issued a new season of BCS on me LOL So when I finish BB and then catch up on BCS, I'm off to El Camino as kind of the dessert topping for the overall effort.

I'm OK with the setback of 4 lbs, which was actually 6.4 lbs before I regrouped. I was worried for a few weeks as I watched my old obese-person eating habits creeping back - overeating supplementing by binging, and especially, not being able to comply with "it's before noon or after 7 pm and that means NO calories", the cornerstone of my diet that had worked so well and consistently for 10 months. One night during quarantine some people in my county succumbed to covid-19 and I binged three entire packages of Pepperidge Farm cookies (!) and three tall sleeves of Ritz crackers (!) which totals to around 6,000 calories, in probably 30 minutes, and I felt like it was all coming unglued, because that was what I used to do all the time before New Me. To my horror, New Me was just Old Me ten months later, oops! But now that I've worked my way through a third of the damage and have things back under control, I'm actually thinking it was a blessing in disguise. It wasn't a bad thing to be reminded that coming up with a system and losing a bunch of weight and posting on forums doesn't mean I don't have food issues or won't always have them. It's got me refocused, and 6.5 pounds, now 4, wasn't a huge price to pay for that knowledge. I've come out the back end more skeptical of the whole "You have to develop new habits" mantra. I believe in that mantra 100 % and have worked very hard to develop new habits, but it isn't enough. Self-discipline and honest self-awareness are just as important; hopefully I gained a bit of the latter during this quarantine. It's easy to get a bit hubristic on a successful weight loss run, but hubris is never helpful.

I started Better Call Saul but never finished, I should get back into it. I’d definitely recommend El Camino if you liked BB... it’s worth it to watch, feels like a very legit continuation. Plus I always liked seeing Jessie.

I had a rough time last year, my diet was completely different because I decided to do an extremely dirty bulk and gained 45 pounds. Super unhealthy, Idk what I was thinking. Looking back on it I did it because I feel I have a little body dysmorphia, I think I’m either too big or too small 24/7. Nothing seems to be enough. But this year I’m really glad I cleaned up my diet. I can only speak for myself, as I know everyone is different, but I seem to do really well on a high fat low carb type of eating pattern. I’m really enjoying it but now that I lost the 45 I had gained I’m stuck at the weight I was for the longest time. So IF I took interest in not only for weight loss but cognition/growth hormone benefits and being able to have more structure in when I eat. Helps eliminate snacking for me, which was an issue last year when I decided to ruin dirty bulk in the worst way. I wouldn’t advise that to anyone now, not how I was doing it with barely any cardio.

Overall I’m really enjoying IF and I’m glad I found others who feel the same. I know how you feel, sometimes I really REALLY crave chips (that was my one guilty pleasure, I start and can’t stop eating them). Now I substitute that for cashews/nuts and it’s helping me a lot.

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,011 Member
    Options
    Not sure where you heard IF causes stress on the body, if anything, it relieves stress on the body and actually gives your body a break from nonstop digestion of food. Breakfast is 100% unnecessary and only adds to surplus calories in the diet that either need to be restricted at other meals/snacks and/or burned off so you can keep in calorie deficit for weight loss or maintainence. Nothing stresses the body more than carrying around a whole bunch of extra weight.

Well that goes for any eating.

Dessert, coffee, lunch, snacks, dinner etc etc are each 100% unneccesaryv and of course if you consume calories on breakfast or anyone of the other things, you have to restrict intake at other times to balance it out.

For me personally, breakfast, particularly on days I go to work, is 100% neccesary. My job is physical and I feel faint and nauseous way before lunch if I try to work all morning without food.
    And I don't find it hard to not eat those calories at other meals - it balances out well for me.

If you want to do any form of IF - fine.

But blanket statements about what ' you should do' - Nah,