Beginners slow start all over body workout

Options
Hello all,

Replies to my other posts suggest that I should look at doing an all over body workout. I will be doing this in the coming weeks after starting with core exercises and push ups. I'm conscious about over doing it and want to start slowly and increase what i do over time. Can anyone suggest an all overbody work out for beginners that I can ease myself into?
I don't have access to a gym but I do have dumbbells. Video led workouts would be great as I can follow them as i go

Replies

• barfordguy
    barfordguy Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I should have added I'm looking to tone and prevent muscle loss while losing 15 pounds. I'm not looking to bulk out
  • kiwiroz
    kiwiroz Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I've just brought a Fitness Blender low impact programme (they have a number of their programmes on sale at the moment) or their individual videos are free on YouTube.
  • barfordguy
    Options
    kiwiroz wrote: »
    I've just brought a Fitness Blender low impact programme (they have a number of their programmes on sale at the moment) or their individual videos are free on YouTube.

Thank you for your reply. Which programme did you get? Have you had success with them before?
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Fitness Blender is a great free option. They have TONS of videos on their YouTube channel and you can purchase structures programs on their website.

Search under “beginner” or “low impact” you’ll finds tons.

Good luck!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    barfordguy wrote: »
    Hello all,

Replies to my other posts suggest that I should look at doing an all over body workout. I will be doing this in the coming weeks after starting with core exercises and push ups. I'm conscious about over doing it and want to start slowly and increase what i do over time. Can anyone suggest an all overbody work out for beginners that I can ease myself into?
    I don't have access to a gym but I do have dumbbells. Video led workouts would be great as I can follow them as i go

The below link should help.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • barfordguy
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Hello all,

The below link should help.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

That's great. Thank you for this.
  • barfordguy
    Options
    what would exercise would compliment push ups? to balance the muscles used
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options

Depends on what you mean by compliment.

If you mean upper vs. lower body, then squats are always a great compound exercise. The other way to look at a complimentary movement is to do a pushing movement and then a pulling movement. So pushups and then pull-ups. Or bench press offset with a rowing movement.

There’s no right or wrong way, but remember to take days off between exercises for recovery. So if you do upper body workouts on Monday, do something like lower body, walking/running, bike riding, etc, on Tuesday. You need the rest to recover and make gains.

Good luck!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Instead of trying to design your own program with the right elements of pushes and pulls, look over the link that psuLemon gave you and pick a well designed full body program that suits the equipment you have available (or body weight if that is how you are going). Program design requires a knowledge of physiology and kinsesiolgy that most of us don't have and, based on your question, you don't. A well designed program has it all put together for you.
  • barfordguy
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

Instead of trying to design your own program with the right elements of pushes and pulls, look over the link that psuLemon gave you and pick a well designed full body program that suits the equipment you have available (or body weight if that is how you are going). Program design requires a knowledge of physiology and kinsesiolgy that most of us don't have and, based on your question, you don't. A well designed program has it all put together for you.

I completely agree. Having had a loo at the link from psuLemon I am going to do the nerd fitness beginner workout 2 x week and a core work out 2 a week. Any thoughts much appreciated.
  • barfordguy
    Options
    or maybe beachbody 21 day fix as this is for beginners
  • psuLemon
    Options
    or maybe beachbody 21 day fix as this is for beginners

That requires equipment and i think you would be better off looking at the AthleanX Zero program.
  • barfordguy
    Options
    thank you I will have a look at that now. what are your thoughts on the nerd fitness one?
  • barfordguy
    Options
    I click on it but it doesn't work.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I click on it but it doesn't work.

Its AthleanX.com or something like that.
  • barfordguy
    Options
    thank you found it. will give it a go
  • barfordguy
    Options
    is it worth paying for? has anyone had any experience of it?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    is it worth paying for? has anyone had any experience of it?

I haven't done the video, but I do run his ab workouts and they are good. In my little experience, he knows what he is talking about. If I would have found him prior to BeachBody programs, I would have gone with him.
  • barfordguy
    Options
    Thank you.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Yoga can be a good full body workout as well.