Sodium intake

Options
There might already be a thread about this but I just noticed how much sodium I intake. WAY more then needed. What are some ways that have helped you cut down on it? Thanks. :)

Replies

• snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Jess5825
    Options
    I'd like some ideas too. I keep going over my sodium and it is not even accounting for the string cheese I eat, because the nutrients aren't listing in the one I use (I really should fix that)
  • kardeamad
    Options
    What foods are you eating that are high?
  • lausa22
    lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Don't add salt to food, don't eat packet food that has soooo much salt in it! Cut down on bread, eat more fresh food, stay away from fast food, add your own spices to food instead of pre-packaged spices that comes with food, because that is literally all salt, stay away from as much processed food that you can and stay away from soy sauce!!
  • velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I cut out processed foods like cold cuts and prepackaged foods like lean Cuisine. Also fat free foods are high in sodium to make up for the lack of fat they use sodium to make it taste good.

Eat fresh foods and make your meals yourself. Dont eat out or make sure you eat salads and bring your own home made dressing. I strive for under 1000 mg of sodium a day. Most of the time Im close or a bit over the 1000 . You are welcome to look over my diary to see the kinds of foods I eat. i list the sodium as one of my tracked items so you can see what foods have what.

Good luck.. its a process and wont happen over night!

4925355.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • ber3023
    ber3023 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Decrease processed foods! I try to buy everything i can in a low/reduced sodium variety or buy things that are no salt added. For things that I feel need salt, like popcorn, I have started using No Salt, salt substitute. Keep in mind that your body does need some sodium to function properly, so don't try to completely cut it out.
  • grouch201
    grouch201 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Rule number 1: Don't eat processed foods. Anything that comes in a can, or any meals that are premade and bought from the freezer aisle are the most likely culprits to be loaded with sodium.

Rule number 2: Cook at home from scratch. When you make it yourself, you know exactly what is going in your food and can better regulate the amount of sodium that goes into your food.

Rule number 3: Never forget the importance of water in your diet. The more water you drink, crazy as it may seem, the less your body things it needs to retain it. Drinking sufficient amounts of water will flush out the sodium in your system as will a good workout. Work out hard, drink lots of water after and water weight is much more difficult to retain.

Those are a few quick and easy tips brought to you by me!
  • CindyWarner
    Options
    If I eat soup I chose the low sodium type. Also if I eat tuna it's always reduced sodium. I try not to eat too many meals that are already prepared for me.
  • Azamagias
    Azamagias Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Stay away from as much processed foods as possible. When cooking use herbs, and pepper blends to give amazing flavor to your dishes. If you feel you have to use a little salt try sea salt.
  • calebespnsmommie
    calebespnsmommie Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Stay away from the canned foods. They are packed with sodium. I used to eat canned veggies because honeslty I never thought about it and it was convient. Since I noticed how much sodium was in them and changed all my veggies to frozen and fresh I have lost more weight and am not as bloated in my stomach area. I dont use salt very often at all I just use pepper and some garlic powder from time to time. When your doing your grocery shopping just take the time to check out the nutritional facts on the package of things. I used to get the low fat lunch meat never paying attention to the sodium.. well that was a big mistake!! There is so much sodium in a serving of lunch meat its sickening!!! I now get sara lee low sodium oven roasted turkey breast from the deli and I LOOOVVEE it! Its super moist and takes amazing!
  • AlwaysSarah87
    Options
    Thank you ALL! I just noticed when I changed the settings on my food yesterday to include showing me sodium and I was SHOCKED. It was eye opening.:flowerforyou:
  • AlwaysSarah87
    Options
    What foods are you eating that are high?

It must be the processed food. I literally just noticed it last night so I am trying to keep an eye on it today.
  • corymomma
    corymomma Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    It's a tough one, but become very vigilant about what you are going to eat before you eat it. I spent 15 mins yesterday comparing sodium on just applesauce the other day before buying it. 1 had sodium one did not. Carbs on one was higher, while calories were higher on another...you have to become anal, and drinking more water will always help...good luck!