Girls- Short Hair?

Options

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I've thought about short hair, but my face is so square, I don't know if it would be helping and not hurting.

Demi Moore has a really square jaw, and she looked ADORABLE with that pixie in Ghost. Just sayin'. :)
  • FaithsVegWorkout
    Options
    The great thing about short hair: it makes you look stylish and pulled together with little to no effort.
    The bad thing about short hair: you're basically stuck with one style, and there's not much versatility.

I have run the gamut between a nearly shaved head all the way to bra strap length.
  • Tattoos_and_Tea
    Tattoos_and_Tea Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Do it mate, chop it all off if thats what you want. I had my hair chopped short on Thursday. For years its been past my shoulders and now its chin length, love it!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    If you want it short...go for it! Talk to your stylist and make sure that the cut you want will work for your hair type. Depending on thickness and texture short hair either works well or looks horrid. I haven't had super short hair all over...I did have part of my head shaved at one point and it looked good. I however love having long hair...my hair is usually bra strap length or longer. I've had it down to my tush before and while it took forever to dry (I don't use any heat on my hair) it always looked great.
  • peacehawk
    peacehawk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I like my hair long and short. The first time I cut it short (willingly- there was that time I was five that I was so angry at my mom over...), I realized that it will grow back. Over the past 25 years I have gone from long to hort to long to medium to ridiculously ugly short (with a. Really beautiful fuzzy texture) to long again. I just ct mine shortish after letting it grow just long enough t donate it to locks of love for the second time. Ctting it for a cause doesn't seem as momentous. Thistime it was in honor of a very good friend who died last year. Her kids asked me to grow it out since the had never seen me with long hair before. On he other hand, Alice Walker once wrote that our hair is like our antennae to. The universe and can bring us a strength of sorts. I grew my hair out for over 10 years with that sentiment in mind. Then went quite short and donated it for the first time (was down to my butt).

Whateveryou choose, remember it wil grow back if you don't like it.
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    OK I promise you, short hair is MORE maintenance. i've had long hair most of my life, and every morning I'd wash it then put it up in a scrunchie - job done. now it's short, it needs styling EVERY day... and it's less versatile - only 1 or two styles.

However, it's about how you look. My haircut now takes years off me, and I get regular compliments even though it's been the same style for a year now) so it's worth the trade-off.

Hope that helps!
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    About 10 years ago, I cut my very long hair to a chin-length bob...........after being with a husband who would not ALLOW me to cut my hair (yeah, I know.......that was a past life, believe me!)

EVERYONE said I looked younger, it was cute, it was a great look - and I had to agree. Since then, I have cut it MUCH shorter, and have fun layers that I can coax out to a shaggy, rough look, or smooth down to a more sophisticated look.

I love my hair - yes, it requires a bit of maintenance, but nothing too drastic. I have very thin hair, and long THIN hair is very unflattering - this shorter length gives me more volume. You can see a few different hairstyles in my profile - Love them all!

GO for the new look - it might just change how you feel!
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    I've run between pixie crops (think Halle Berry) to chin-length for years and loved it. I am a natural 4N (medium brown w/ soft bronze tones) and would dye or bleach my hair for fun, then get it cut to a pixie crop when I was tired of maintaining the color.

My tips- make sure the cut suits your face shape, and if you plan on growing it out let your stylist know. Depending on how the original cut was made you'll grow it out w/o issue or end up with unruly hair that won't keep a good shape. Stylists can cut in different ways to make growing your hair back out easier.

If you've never had short hair I say try it! I found I gained a lot more confidence because I was rocking a short cut and you aren't hiding behind a head of hair. The cut forces you to be more 'out there'.

Edit- if you are chopping off more than 12 inches see if you can donate the hair to Locks of Love or similar. It'll make you feel even better about your decision and if someone asks why you can always say 'I did it for the children'. :)
  • SophRW
    SophRW Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Cut it! I chopped all mine off last Summer, and I wish I did it sooner!
  • geeksrule
    geeksrule Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I have had short pixie hair for almost 20 years!!! My hair is very thick but straight - I do have to get it thinned a lot when I get it cut just so that it doesn't go too puffy when styling. I have tried several times to grow it out - and like everyone else hate the in between stage. I was only successful 2 times at growing it out then got tired of the long locks that were only put up in a pony and spending ages styling only for it to fall flat in the weather, so off it came again!!

I have found that you can leave it smooth and flat, separated in chunks or like the first person said - product in hand and purposely mess it up on top to give it that messy look - looks great and gives an edgy look!!! Color is a fun way to play up short hair - again - I've had absolutely bleached blonde - red with highlights - all over the map - color can really change it in a way that is so dramatic.

Make sure you get a stylist who is good with short cuts - some can leave it looking like the proverbial bowl over the head if they don't blend it right!!!

Somebody else said - you have to own it - they're right - you just have to go with it and have fun - you'll learn quick!!!

Post pics of the final decision!!!
  • ScarlettVamp
    ScarlettVamp Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it seems like my hair defines me more than anything else and I hate that! Don't let this happen to you!

With that said, I, like many others who have replied, have done it all - short, long, medium, straight, curly, blonde highlights, red, black, brown. My hair is naturally super straight and thick (yet fine) and I have to work around that. I've permed, cut, colored, and styled to the point that I've wasted an hour of my life daily no matter the length. I recently cut mine from just past my shoulders to just above the shoulders in choppy layers and still, my 1 and 1/2 inch barrel curling iron is in use daily. UGH! But, it does take a lot less time to wash/dry/style and for that I am grateful.

Now here's the advice from someone who's done it, but is too chicken to do it again: Try it short...if you hate it, grow it out and make the best of it for a few months til it gets some length. I haven't had mine super short in years, but I may try it again when I lose some more weight and have less of a round face for it to frame. I WANT it short so I can wash/dry/style in a matter of minutes, but I am in the same boat you are - what should I do? I want to take my own advice (try it, hate it?, let it grow) but finding the confidence to do it and the short style to suit me is a whole other ball game!

BTW, if you're like me, it's easy for me to look at pics of celebrities online and choose which hairstyle looks best on them. On me, even looking at years of pics, I just can't figure out what my look should be.
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I love short hair and long hair on others. For me I keep it longer. My hair is naturally wavy/curly so having it long is easier for me. When it was shorter I had to iron all the pieces down that didn't naturally "turn the corner" into a curl.
    I just iron down the side pieces that are shorter than the length now. It seems there are so many cute short haircuts for people with straight hair. It depends on the shape and size of the face too.
    Good luck with what you decide! Post pic's too! :)
  • devilblkdress
    Options
    Going from long hair to extreme short is very liberating! I had real long hair and due to some health issues it was thinning so I shaved my head and donated it to locks of love. It was very empowering. Chilly that winter :-) It was awkward in the growing out phase though. Now two years later it is medium length and I'm not sure whether I will leave it here or let it go long but I definitely think every woman should go bald once in her adult life to feel the freedom!
  • alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I've always been a fat girl, and I have shaved my head plenty of times - my face is round, and I have full cheeks. I've been told I look 100% better with short hair then I do with long hair. My boyfriend loves my hair short, and he tells me I'm plenty of a woman in the bedroom.

Do what you want to do, and what you feel comfortable with.

I always think a woman who can rock short hair is so much more attractive then a woman who uses her long hair to solidify an identity.

I'm not sure if my identity is solidified by my hair. I did not know that identities were solidified or . . . liquified? gaseous?

We all wear what we like, don't we?

blessings.

Some women with short hair can't rock it, just like not every woman with long hair uses it as her identity - I didn't say "every woman with short hair is more attractive then a woman with long hair because they hide behind it." Solidify can be used in multiple ways, before you attempt to ~poke fun at how I used it.

I don't know if it "solidifies my identity" but it certainly part of my identity--long, auburn hair. Kinda hard to envision changing it--ever.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone!!! I ended up going to cutting off 5 inches, getting side bangs, and layers. I really want to try a boy cut one day, but was too afraid this morning. :(
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Oh it looks cute! Good for you! :)
  • justdance311
    Options
    From a future hairstylist's standpoint I want to ask a few questions. Is your hair thin or thick? If it is thin then stay away from layers because it will make it look too thin. If it is thick then layers is good. Now, think of the features on your face that you love and the ones that you hate. Depending on the ones you hate depends on where your hair should be cut. For example, if you don't like your nose then don't have your shortest layer of hair at the same level as your nose. The haircut that is in style right now is the triangular cut a.k.a inverted cut. You can have both sides the same length or asymmetrical (one longer than the other). You mentioned having problems with your hair taking too long to dry. Well, there are products out there that will help reduce your drying time as long as you put them in right before you blow-dry. These products are Paul Mitchell brands, so you should check them out.
  • Speedy89
    Options
    not sure if you care for a male opinion, but it really depends on your face.

On most any woman shoulder length hair looks good, but for some women a short boyish can look good, but imho not many women can pull off this look.
  • Speedy89
    Options

If you go with that you will look like an emo guy