The amazing results of watching my carbs...

Options
2»

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    mmapags wrote: »
    tuckerrj wrote: »
    Strange thing (for me) is, if I focus on JUST my calorie and protein count, the rest of my macros seem to fall into place. Seems I instinctively (?) eat a proportional amount of carbs, fats, sugars, etc. the helped me lose, and later maintain my weight.

This is the same for me. After tracking for a long time, I realized that I am pretty much never under my fats target. If I hit cals and protein, the rest just falls into place. The range for carbs can be pretty broad and, as long as these are not foods that are trigger foods or ones that people have difficulty moderating, it really doesn't matter how much if the 2 primary targets are being hit.

I tend to be between 100 and 150 grams of carbs without really trying. Sometimes more, occasionally less. This is just the way I intuitively prefer to eat, focusing on protein and high fiber carbs and letting the rest take care of itself. It just is not that critical as long as calories and protein are good.

At my current calorie level it was either way overload on protein which is what I was doing at first or go higher on carbs. My fat has gone higher but I do not find it as satiating to let it take the lead on filling the calorie gap. I just have to be more careful eating this way whereas before I never really had to consider blood sugar that often.

Yes, that makes total sense. I don't typically have a lot of extra calories. But if I do, I'll usually up carbs and maybe allow myself more sweets, although I don't have much of sweet tooth.

With the additional exercise, is blood sugar a concern? What kind of exercise is it? I'm guessing the exercise is burning off some of that additional blood sugar, yes?

I need to get the monitor back out and start testing myself again because I am also curious to see what exercise and all the weight loss might be doing or have done for me. My particular issue is that my blood sugar can fall too low after eating. Usually this happens about 3 hours later if I eat carbs by themselves or mostly by themselves. A doughnut at 8am would normally have me at sub 50 BG by 11am. I keep telling myself I need to run an experiment to see where I am today but low blood sugar is so unpleasant I have kept putting it off. I know I can catch it before it happens if I monitor though so it is just a bit of irrational resistance at this point. Another reminder I am human I suppose.
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I read the title, saw @AnnPT77 responded and was like 'here we go', but happy to see the full post hehe
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    alexmose wrote: »
    I read the title, saw @AnnPT77 responded and was like 'here we go', but happy to see the full post hehe

When Aunt Granny speaks, I listen... lol
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I am keto or low carb when not all the way keto. I am always confused when people argue that weight loss is easier because they don’t have to track calories on keto. They might not have to...... but it is all about satisfaction. You are satisfied with fewer calories. Therefore calories still count. When I eat this way I am fuller and satisfied faster. But I still track my calories to lose. I still feel hunger. But I feel less hunger than I do when my carbs are super high. Currently getting about 25-30gm fibre, and 15-1800 cal/day. And I am losing because of the calorie deficit not because my carbs are below 50gm/day.

And if it was not clear: I am in agreement with op. It is all about calories. I eat this way because it is what works for me. But when I fall off the wagon(adding carbs) it is completely unsustainable for me and I am starving, overeating, and carb crashing regularly. Sad but true. Easter sucked. And it will happen again.
  • psychod787
    Options
    I am keto or low carb when not all the way keto. I am always confused when people argue that weight loss is easier because they don’t have to track calories on keto. They might not have to...... but it is all about satisfaction. You are satisfied with fewer calories. Therefore calories still count. When I eat this way I am fuller and satisfied faster. But I still track my calories to lose. I still feel hunger. But I feel less hunger than I do when my carbs are super high. Currently getting about 25-30gm fibre, and 15-1800 cal/day. And I am losing because of the calorie deficit not because my carbs are below 50gm/day.

And if it was not clear: I am in agreement with op. It is all about calories. I eat this way because it is what works for me. But when I fall off the wagon(adding carbs) it is completely unsustainable for me and I am starving, overeating, and carb crashing regularly. Sad but true. Easter sucked. And it will happen again.

So, fruit causes you to feel hungry and overeat? Just wondering...
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »

So, fruit causes you to feel hungry and overeat? Just wondering...

Yup, I can eat a pear or an orange and end up triggering a binge in which I eat 5 pears, or a full bag of grapes or a bunch of bananas etc. But if I pair up way more protein and moderate fat with small amounts of high fibre carbs my appetite is more stable.

Through some experimentation I have found my ratio to be 2:1 (2g carbs : 1g protein). It is obviously not that exactly and when fiber is in the mix it would certainly change things too but 2:1 is easy to manage. If I do not follow that rule and assuming I get by without low blood sugar it still causes me to have hunger problems within a couple of hours and then usually for the rest of the day. I always eat a high protein course or drink a protein shake before eating anything else. My biggest meal is bookended by protein.

When I had much less calories to eat my protein would chew up enough that I was naturally left with less for carbs. During those days I would also have to keep an eye on fat because mine often ran too low.
  • Unicorn_Bacon
    Unicorn_Bacon Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I have that same reaction when I eat carrots by themselves, it's like i eat them and they disintegrate into dust as soon as they hit my stomach. Lol. Apples too if I eat them ever lol. And I agree with the protein thing, because I certainly dont have that problem eating them with my main meals.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,679 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Hey Granny, have you noticed that @psychod787 's paws continue to impress with all the cinder-block lifting he has been doing?!?!? Just a random observation!

I still think a largish vanilla cone for about 300 Cal (yes, I know they advertise 147g and 230Cal, but then there's the reality of how much actually goes in one on average), beats half a Lindt chocolate bar... even though the Lindt bar has more fat... must be the protein in the vanilla cone, right? :)

<hmmm... maybe I should go get one... but drive through... and people...>

0lkhrd5niozf.jpg

Oh, sorry, did someone say beans? :lol:
  • psychod787
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Hey Granny, have you noticed that @psychod787 's paws continue to impress with all the cinder-block lifting he has been doing?!?!? Just a random observation!

I still think a largish vanilla cone for about 300 Cal (yes, I know they advertise 147g and 230Cal, but then there's the reality of how much actually goes in one on average), beats half a Lindt chocolate bar... even though the Lindt bar has more fat... must be the protein in the vanilla cone, right? :)

<hmmm... maybe I should go get one... but drive through... and people...>

0lkhrd5niozf.jpg

Oh, sorry, did someone say beans? :lol:

Gotta get big for the ladies @PAV8888! Lol
    When are you going to work on then paws of yours bubba? 🤔
  • pink_mint
    pink_mint Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Well I'm glad to hear all this. I have what I feel like is keto PTSD (was keto for 3 and 1/2 years). Now that I'm trying to lose the 50 lbs that I put on during a year+ long free-for-all after I quit keto, there's still a lingering fear that maybe it's true that carbs make you fat etc.

I'm eating every food group. I can't handle to think about eating strictly low carb again. But like I said, still dealing with some residual carb fears in the back of my mind. I'm just counting calories. And I suspect I have blood sugar issues too. But the weight loss is slow. 1 pound in the last month after an initial very good month (I'm on month 2).
  • psychod787
    Options
    pink_mint wrote: »
    Well I'm glad to hear all this. I have what I feel like is keto PTSD (was keto for 3 and 1/2 years). Now that I'm trying to lose the 50 lbs that I put on during a year+ long free-for-all after I quit keto, there's still a lingering fear that maybe it's true that carbs make you fat etc.

I'm eating every food group. I can't handle to think about eating strictly low carb again. But like I said, still dealing with some residual carb fears in the back of my mind. I'm just counting calories. And I suspect I have blood sugar issues too. But the weight loss is slow. 1 pound in the last month after an initial very good month (I'm on month 2).

If this will help. I have seen high carb, whole food vegans lose tons of weight. Macros like 80/10/10
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,005 Member
    Options
    alexmose wrote: »

I saw the title and reminded me of that old diet joke- the seafood diet

sea food and eat it B):p