Masks for running during covid19

13»

Replies

• MichelleMcKeeRN
    MichelleMcKeeRN Posts: 450 Member
    Two layers of tightly woven cotton appears to be the recommendation. I made a couple. dudefsdky8oz.jpeg
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Just wondering if anyone has tried going out for a run wearing a mask? Our governor is opening parks as of Monday, but also requiring face covering. So, if I want to run, I need to cover my face. I have a double-knit mask. Wondering if it's worth trying to get a run in.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,464 Member
    tklarc4ljpxf.png
    I don’t run. I didn’t know what a gaiter was, so googled it and found this article, which explained it well, and I thought had good info. Sorry, I don’t know how to post a link.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    tklarc4ljpxf.png
    I don’t run. I didn’t know what a gaiter was, so googled it and found this article, which explained it well, and I thought had good info. Sorry, I don’t know how to post a link.
    Great article. thanks! I found the link, here it is: https://www.onthewater.com/is-a-buff-a-good-face-mask
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    So I walk every day. I've planned a route that is very hilly and the road to get there is narrow - which is good because not many people are on it.

HOWEVER..I would like to please ask bikers and runners who come up behind a walker to PLEASE give us a 6 foot buffer. It really irritates me that bikes and runners can't 1.) Warn me they are coming up behind me 2.) Give me the social distance. Cross to the other side, or at least to the middle of the (empty) road. I can't see you coming when you are directly behind me. C'mon.

I have had a couple of times when an elbow out at the right time would have collected them on the way past. So irresponsible, even if it weren't for COVID 19.
  • DancingMoosie
    Ok, so no one is out and about in my neighborhood. I like to take walks, but the city is mandating masks when away from home. I'm assuming this means walking the neighborhood....Even if I'm the only one. If I see anyone else, it's usually in their own yard, and I'm not going on their property. So, I guess I should just wear my mask and smother myself? It's supposed to be high 80s-90 this week.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Ok, so no one is out and about in my neighborhood. I like to take walks, but the city is mandating masks when away from home. I'm assuming this means walking the neighborhood....Even if I'm the only one. If I see anyone else, it's usually in their own yard, and I'm not going on their property. So, I guess I should just wear my mask and smother myself? It's supposed to be high 80s-90 this week.

Would a bandanna fit the mandate? I wonder if since the bottom is more open it would be easier to breathe and cooler.
  • DancingMoosie
    Anything covering nose and mouth fits the mandate.
  • fitpal4242
    fitpal4242 Posts: 109 Member
    I live in nyc (the epicenter of it all). We are mandated to wear masks if we are unable to social distance- in the grocery store, crowded sidewalk, etc. people miss that last part- we do not have to wear the mask simply because we are outside.

I run outside without a mask. I spend about 90% of my run in the street running against traffic. I move back if a bike, bus or car is coming. It’s a lot of maneuvering- I’ll back up, jog in place out of the way until people pass, or whatever else I have to do to maintain my distance. If people get too close (there are people with no respect for this that will angle toward me, for example if they want to cross the street where there isn’t a cross-walk), I cover my mouth & nose with my sleeve and hold my breath until they’re out of my way. I’m also getting extra mileage in from all the wide circles I’m doing to avoid people.