8 cups of water a day?

Options
Can someone confirm that 1 cup of water = 4 fl oz, so if I drink 500ml this equates to approximately 4 cups.
8 cups of water is roughly only 1 litres, is this right? I struggle to drink water so if it's only 1 litre I am sure I can manage that.
Thanks very much :drinker:

Replies

• Txnurse97
    Txnurse97 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    1 cup of water is 8 oz. Good luck!
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I always thought 1 cup was 8 ounces.

I faithfully drink 130 ounces a day---you MUST be drinking water in order to flush out the fat.
  • Manapaws
    Manapaws Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    need to drink lots of water, it helps take the toxen out of your body, also gives you a feeling of being full which means less likely to eat when you don t need to.
  • abbigail_r
    abbigail_r Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    1 cup = 8 oz :wink:
  • spicypepper
    spicypepper Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    If it's hard for you to get your water in, I HIGHLY recommend getting some MIO! That stuff is the best! It's liquid water enhancer and comes in a variety of flavors. You can make it as light or as strong as you want. http://www.kraftbrands.com/mio/
  • cmduncan
    Options
    1 cup most assuredly = 8 oz. And the 8 cups/day idea is actually not adequate for hydration. Your goal should really be more like 1/2 your body weight in ounces. Possibly more if you're doing sweaty exercise a lot.
  • 3108gt
    3108gt Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks very much everyone for confirming it's 8oz. I will try harder to drink 8 cups full
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    i just make sure i have 4 pints lol(just about the same)
  • ashesoh1234
    ashesoh1234 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    One cup is 8 ounces. I find that working out in the morning (that's what works best with my schedule) really helps me drink tons of water. For example, when I do a 6am spin class, by 7am in the morning I've already had about 4o ounces of water!
  • CoachSeanX
    Options
    1 cup is 8 oz. And drinking water is a must. It will flush toxin from your body which will also contribute to your weight loss.
  • RunningAddict
    RunningAddict Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Struggle through one week of drinking the suggested amount of water. You will like the results so well you will gladly do it the next. it helps alot. =)
  • micklespiffy
    Options
    You need to drink plenty of water but, and I wish I could remember the source, someone asked where that number came from and could find no research to back it up. Apparently it is a guesstimate that took off. (Just checked it was an LA Times article. Snopes.com calls it false.)

Now eight glasses of Guinness...
  • adventuring
    Options
    A cup of water is 8 fl oz. However, eight cups a day is just a general guideline, and it's actually a misinterpretation. You're meant to have eight cups of water including the water in your food. So if you're eating a lot of fresh fruits and veggies, I think you could probably get away with four cups rather than eight. Your urine is supposed to be very light yellow, and you're supposed to pee every two to three hours. That's how you'll know you're not dehydrated.

Now, that doesn't mean that people on here don't swear by eight cups a day for weight loss, but that's another matter entirely because it's never been proven there's anything to that. But it'll make you feel full, and it's good for your skin, so try to drink as much as you feel comfortable with, at least.
  • TheMrsFitnessGeek
    Options
    Just a reminder that 8cups is the minimum *most* bodies require. Since our bodies are mostly made up of water your actual intake should be 1/2 of whatever your weight is. I weigh 150lbs so I drink 75oz at the minimum a day. I usually drink 150oz, but only because it is the ONLY thing I drink. Please remember that water is the only fluid your body actually craves. It NEEEDS it! :drinker: Good luck! and try each day to drink a little more :)
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I drink about 4 liters per day, which is just more than half of my body weight in ounces. I constantly have a liter sized bottle with me. I cut out all sodas, which has made it MUCH easier to get my required intake. I have actually begun to crave water!
  • Soulbird81
    Options
    Can someone confirm that 1 cup of water = 4 fl oz, so if I drink 500ml this equates to approximately 4 cups.
    8 cups of water is roughly only 1 litres, is this right? I struggle to drink water so if it's only 1 litre I am sure I can manage that.
    Thanks very much :drinker:

I find it much easier to purchase a water jug that holds 64oz of water....which is the same as drinking 8oz of water 8 times a day....On the days I work out I definitely drink far more than (and have an easier time doing it) 64oz....but 64oz is the minimum you should be getting a day. If you're consuming fruit and veggies that have a high water content, green or other herbal tea, AND the required 64 oz of water a day you're headed in the right direction. I'm working on drinking my entire jug 2x daily now, even on my rest days. Your urine should be light yellow...definitely not dark. Once I cut out soda and sugary juices I found it easier to intake that much water. I am also a vegetarian so I get plenty of water from the fruits and veggies I eat all day and I do not drink anything other than water and herbal tea (w/o sugar)...at times when I start to crave something more than water I will add slices of fruit to my jug before bed and the flavor is amazing in the morning....without adding anything chemical like other water enhancers will do.
  • samikin
    Options
    Sadly it is 8 ounces. I'm working my way up by drinking an extra 8 ounces every few days. Up to 3+ glasses a day.
  • silverbullkitty
    Options
    Thanks very much everyone for confirming it's 8oz. I will try harder to drink 8 cups full

Maybe drink directly from a 1 cup measuring cup. Get yourself a dry erase marker and write the number of water that you're drinking directly on the outside of the measuring cup, Don't write the next number, until you are drinking that number. That way, if you have to set your measuring cup aside for a while, you still know you which cup of water you are on. Before you know it, you'll be a 8. Once you've mastered drinking 8, start trying to get more. I've always been told you should drink 1/2 your body weight in ounces of water daily. (ex: 200 pound person = 100 ounces of water = 12.5 cups of water)
  • doodlebug85
    Options
    1 cup= 8oz. I drink 64oz a day. It's not that hard to do:drinker:
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Struggle through one week of drinking the suggested amount of water. You will like the results so well you will gladly do it the next. it helps alot. =)

this is excellent advice--- and could not agree more....I did this way back when which is what connvinced me to do drink my 130 ounces a day.