Anyone cutting after a bulk?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    edited April 2020
    I track food (2200 calories) and macros pretty tightly. I prioritize calories than protein, fiber and netting at 30-50g of carbs (modified Ketogenic diet).
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,091 Member
    Hi everyone
    Just stopping by to say hello, I’m still following this thread. I stopped my bulk after 3 months and am aiming to lose a lil bit while we are in lock down and then go back to bulking when the gym opens again. Im a home based worker so pretty used to being inside but I’m missing the gym. Plus the family love their snacks so I’m having to say no to myself a lot and stop opening the effing fridge so much as there is a lot of deliciousness inside.

I have some adjustable dumbbells which I can do my programme with a lot of substitutions. Hopefully will be enough to preserve muscle.

My weight is trending down all of .4 lbs a week.
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    Hi everyone
    Just stopping by to say hello, I’m still following this thread. I stopped my bulk after 3 months and am aiming to lose a lil bit while we are in lock down and then go back to bulking when the gym opens again. Im a home based worker so pretty used to being inside but I’m missing the gym. Plus the family love their snacks so I’m having to say no to myself a lot and stop opening the effing fridge so much as there is a lot of deliciousness inside.

I have some adjustable dumbbells which I can do my programme with a lot of substitutions. Hopefully will be enough to preserve muscle.

My weight is trending down all of .4 lbs a week.

Hi there. Good to see things are going well for you. I also paused my bulk during this madness and just heard our gym is closed til mid-May at least! Ouch! I also have those adjustable dumbbells that get up to 20lbs each 🤪. I feel you on the fridge. However, I am trying to stay active and do some resistance training 4-5 days/week to preserve. Have you upped cardio? What’s your program for now?
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,091 Member
    edited April 2020
    alexmose wrote:
    Hi there. Good to see things are going well for you. I also paused my bulk during this madness and just heard our gym is closed til mid-May at least! Ouch! I also have those adjustable dumbbells that get up to 20lbs each 🤪. I feel you on the fridge. However, I am trying to stay active and do some resistance training 4-5 days/week to preserve. Have you upped cardio? What’s your program for now?

Hi

I’m running a 5 day lower upper lower push pull programme based on guidelines in helms’ muscle and strength pyramids. I’ve substituted some exercises as I don’t have a barbell or machines and I’ve upped some of the rep ranges. I managed to get the dumbbells that go up to 50 pounds each so it’s enough for now for me.

I’ve always done a fair amount of cardio. I’m doing maybe an hour a day of step aerobics or some dance aerobics or body conditioning and some walking. Also doing the PE with Joe Wicks with my 15 year old daughter. Keeping busy keeps me away from the fridge.
  • alexmose
    alexmose wrote:

Hi

I’m running a 5 day lower upper lower push pull programme based on guidelines in helms’ muscle and strength pyramids. I’ve substituted some exercises as I don’t have a barbell or machines and I’ve upped some of the rep ranges. I managed to get the dumbbells that go up to 50 pounds each so it’s enough for now for me.

I’ve always done a fair amount of cardio. I’m doing maybe an hour a day of step aerobics or some dance aerobics or body conditioning and some walking. Also doing the PE with Joe Wicks with my 15 year old daughter. Keeping busy keeps me away from the fridge.

Ah! I am thinking about running that once I get back into the gym, or perhaps earlier if my current made-up routine of upper/lower begins to bore me.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    alexmose wrote: »
    alexmose wrote:

Hi

Ah! I am thinking about running that once I get back into the gym, or perhaps earlier if my current made-up routine of upper/lower begins to bore me.

Before switching to Arnold's v2 program I had been doing a upper/lower hybrid (Push + DL/Pull + Squats) and really enjoyed it but wanted something with a little more volume and aesthetics emphasis.
  • alexmose
    theclaw900 wrote: »
    Converted the training program I have from RP for stuff i have in the garage.
    Warmup: Jump rope 5x 60sec
    Incline push: Incline push ups
    Chest Isolation or Tri's: Ring Dips
    Horizontal Push: Floor press with band
    Horizontal Pull: Cable pull with a band
    Vertical Pull: Ring pull ups
    Side Lats: Lats with a 10lb pipe wrench!
    Abz: Bicycles

I'm using a basic interval timer with 60sec on 30sec off to pace myself so I don't fart around the garage too much.

I have 2 5gal water jugs from the office to fill with sand which will get me about 70lbs. Still experimenting.

I think it’s about time I use a timer as well
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member

I'm using a basic interval timer with 60sec on 30sec off to pace myself so I don't fart around the garage too much.

I have 2 5gal water jugs from the office to fill with sand which will get me about 70lbs. Still experimenting.

Jefitt is a fantastic app for lifting, I've used it for years now...

It has a timer between sets and also allows you to track measurements, caliper pinches, lifts obviously, weight and just about everything accept for food...
  • alexmose

Jefitt is a fantastic app for lifting, I've used it for years now...

It has a timer between sets and also allows you to track measurements, caliper pinches, lifts obviously, weight and just about everything accept for food...

I have had that app on my phone for so long I forgot about it!!
  • theclaw900
    theclaw900 Posts: 320 Member
    edited April 2020
    I just started using this one. Super simple, Green means go, Blue means rest.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=cc.dreamspark.intervaltimer

I have another "Interval Timer Tibetan Bowl" used it for lifting, intervals and yoga. Hard to see where you are tho so it's not the best if your phone is not that close to where you are training.

Been using a little black book for logging workouts. Have them back almost 10 years.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    No loss or gain this week. Still around 167, which isn't bad consider i did a refeed Wednesday and Thursday. Workouts are going pretty well and my cravings are in check. I have completed daily ab workouts which have been interesting. My core is starting to feel better. Hoping the work i am putting in now and the break from heavy lifting will allow me to squat once life gets back to normal. I am working out daily but Saturday is a more of an active rest, so its just ab work and yoga/flexibility/pilates/foam roller work.

I am down to 166.4, which is about a 1lb down from 2 weeks ago. Last week I did a refeed and then I ate closer to maintenance for a few more days (not intentionally, lol). So in 14 weeks, I am down about 9 lbs. This is unequivocally the best weight loss I have seen in years. With the exception of the few weeks where I didn't adhere, it seems like when I stick with Keto/low carb, my weight loss has been steady. And while I do not care if I am in ketosis, I will note that I am happy with the results. I will also note that carb refeeds have been super helpful for personal adherence. It seems like cycling carbs over a 2 week period has been the key for me. So almost UD2.0.

I have also stuck with the AthleanX 22 day ab challenge.So I have hit abs every day since April 4th. It seems that some of my lower back issues have improved, so I am definitely happy. Can't wait to get back to the gym to find out if I can squat again.

Athlean X has a good dumbbell leg vid. I'm doing Dumbbell deadlifts/squats ans Romanian straight leg deadlifts. I almost like them better. I also eat at maintenance lowush carb throughout the week and do a reload on the weekend. Works Great.
  • steveko89
    Weight trend is starting to head back down after a four day stall. After the comments about the gym timers I realized I was being too leisurely with time on my workouts so I gave one a shot today during my "lunch break" ... holy smokes did that help keep my energy up. Knocked out all my three super/giant sets in about an hour and had an insane pump for a low rep strength day.
  • alexmose
    I am going to be lowering volume and increasing cals to see if I can maintain on a bit less. So moving from 1900 maintenance to 1950 and seeing what that does. I got sick last weekend so I’m wondering if I was taxing myself a bit much the past month :( that or allergies ;)
  • steveko89
    edited April 2020
    steveko89 wrote: »
    Weight trend is starting to head back down after a four day stall. After the comments about the gym timers I realized I was being too leisurely with time on my workouts so I gave one a shot today during my "lunch break" ... holy smokes did that help keep my energy up. Knocked out all my three super/giant sets in about an hour and had an insane pump for a low rep strength day.

Day three using a timer app and I feel foolish for thinking for years that was only for crossfit.

This next week or so is typically the hardest on the calendar for me to stay the course food-wise. My wife's birthday was yesterday and mine is 4/29. I'm not much for birthdays but my wife has enough enthusiasm for them for the both of us. Take out Thai for dinner, opened a bottle of wine, and topped off with a cupcake and some ice cream last night.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member

Day three using a timer app and I feel foolish for thinking for years that was only for crossfit.

This next week or so is typically the hardest on the calendar for me to stay the course food-wise. My wife's birthday was yesterday and mine is 4/29. I'm not much for birthdays but my wife has enough enthusiasm for them for the both of us. Take out Thai for dinner, opened a bottle of wine, and topped off with a cupcake and some ice cream last night.

Happy birthday to you both. My son turns 16 on the 2nd, and there's gonna be lots of noms.
  • adammokhtar1982
    adammokhtar1982 Posts: 3 Member
    Hi guys - I’m attempting my first cut by gradually restricting calories when when things get static on there, keeping my protein around 1g per lb, aiming for a 40:30:30 split on macros (carb first), and seeing a drop in weight of around 1.5lbs per week.

I’d really like any pointers / recommendations as this is new ground for me and don’t want to undo my hard work.

Doing resistance band training 2 times a week, conditioning 2 times a week and running 5-10k per week.

Looking to up resistance and drop conditioning while leaving running in there for time being, but that’s just my idea at the moment. Would love your thoughts!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    edited April 2020
    Hi guys - I’m attempting my first cut by gradually restricting calories when when things get static on there, keeping my protein around 1g per lb, aiming for a 40:30:30 split on macros (carb first), and seeing a drop in weight of around 1.5lbs per week.

I’d really like any pointers / recommendations as this is new ground for me and don’t want to undo my hard work.

Doing resistance band training 2 times a week, conditioning 2 times a week and running 5-10k per week.

Looking to up resistance and drop conditioning while leaving running in there for time being, but that’s just my idea at the moment. Would love your thoughts!

How much do you plan to lose in total? Because 1.5 pounds per week is awfully high.

Also, I would be doing quite a bit more resistance training (I assume you can't lift actual weights because of COVID?), at least 4 days per week