Keto?

Options
Anyone do keto on this app? In general, thoughts on ketosis? Trying it out the past few weeks during quarantine.

Replies

• andilee0902
    andilee0902 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I love keto. First time lost 20. Doing again to lose another 20. Plz add as friend and I will give you support and tips if need be. I have a long way to go but keto works for me
  • MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    wasn’t planning on doing keto cause i thought you could only eat 20 carbs but, after much research/educating myself on keto & low carbs, i did start lowering my carbs by a bit at a time starting in march and have decided i can now stick to 30-40 net carbs per day, any lower just won’t be doable long term for me for i like real milk in my decaf coffees. i am officially in ketosis and it isn’t as bad as i thought it would be side effect wise, other than i have to pee a wholeeeeee darn lot!! i did however end up having to go buy some potassium ketone salt this past saturday (which i only use 1/2 a scoop) and i had to add 1/2tsp of himalayan salt between 4-5 mugs of coffee every day to rid of the tiredness blah feeling and headaches that started to show up Saturday morning.. overall, i really like my new moderate keto way of eating, which in my case is for keeping down inflammation pain, so i plan on sticking to it for life.. i do miss some high carb food like pasta though!!
  • AnneUT
    AnneUT Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Keto was so low in fiber for me that I developed diverticulitis. Don't recommend.
  • MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    AnneUT wrote: »
    Keto was so low in fiber for me that I developed diverticulitis. Don't recommend.

there are plenty of fiber foods or supplements available. i only use up 4.5 grams of my netcarbs by using a small amount (15g) a day of ‘poop like a champion cereal’ as my salad croutons or in my yogurt for a crunch and so on when needed. it has 16 grams in one 30gram serving/120 calories/9 netcarbs, enough to meet most’s Daily values in that one serving alone.. a great fiber source to add into some of your meals when you can’t get enough from your meals alone. BTW before this cereal, i was low in fiber even on a regular diet high in carbs, what diet you are on doesn’t matter if you aren’t eating foods that provide you with the nutrients you lack..
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    I think keto can be a good choice for some, although it wasn't for me. However, I recommend doing the same kinds of things one would with a non keto diet to make it healthy, such as eating as many vegetables as possible (which should supply you with enough fiber for health) and choosing healthy fats such as nuts and seeds, avocado, olives/olive oil, and fatty fish for at least a good bit of the fat goal (and that helps get in such things as omega 3s too).

If one isn't eating much fiber (on a keto or non keto diet -- although on non keto there are a lot more options for fiber such as beans, whole grains, some fruit, and you can easily get in more veg and nuts/seeds without worrying about the carb limit), then that is an issue whatever the diet. This is also why I preferred -- when experimenting with keto -- to have my fiber show and to do the subtraction to figure out net carbs. Much better than not looking at the fiber number or thinking it doesn't matter.

(When I was doing keto I got in around 25 g of fiber most days aiming for about 30-35 g net carbs. Normally now (not doing keto) it's closer to 45 g and often more.)