Harder as we age 🤔

Options
So I'm frustrated ' REALLY FRUSTRATED ', with my lack of progress.
I think I've damage my metabolism through decades of yo-yo dieting and fad diets plus I'm heading towards the dreaded 50 mark.
I am trying to stay at 5000 kilojoules (1200 cals) per day plus running 5 kilometers 2 days per week plus exercise 2 times per week.
I'm not sure if I'm eating to much for my age, although it's not recommended to eat less or I need to eat more???
So confused .. although a bottle of wine on a Friday night can't be helping ( still in daily kilojoules).
Any tips, tricks or suggestions?
Anyone mid forties or fifties who wants to be friends and share their diary?
Help 😟

Replies

• ravengirl2014
    ravengirl2014 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hey there! You can add me if you want...my diary is open to friends...i will be 50 next month...😋
  • bickymc
    bickymc Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    AnnePT77 Thank you so much xx very insightful. I only have about 6kg or I guess 15 lbs. I will add some strength training to my weekly workouts.
  • Ikeeptrying2
    Ikeeptrying2 Posts: 156 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    I was 47 when I started to focus on losing weight and getting fit (not the same things).

For me (and just speaking for myself), finding that sustainable 'place' where enough calories are not making your life miserable and yet still lose weight was the key to success in dropping. That sounds easy, but it's really not. Perhaps it may be at first but to make it sustainable over time is challenging. Honest and accurate food logging is one tool to make this possible. But, it takes tenacity and willingness to do it. Also, as you begin to close in on your goal weight, those measurements (calories) become more fickle in either direction.

Lifting weights is an amazing activity to add to your exercise routine. A well balanced activity/exercise regime as we age helps our bodies to age well - not just age. A well-balanced regime also helps to prevent injury from exercise alone. By varying the 'what' we do helps to reduce repetitive stress injuries. It also helps to prevent injury in our day to day lives.

You probably already know all of this, but I thought I'd out it out there anyways.

If you are going to add strength training, then be sure to pick a proven plan. There are many...
    Here may be a good place to start to provide food for thought… https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Is it harder as we age?? I'm not sure as I don't have data to support it in either direction, but I do think keeping our bodies in shape as we age is critical.
  • alabastermama
    alabastermama Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    @bickymc Our bodies are very efficient no matter what our age even though things slow down as we get older. Your body know how to protect itself from what it perceives as starvation. So, if your creating a huge calorie deficit ( 500 calories plus exercising) it will hold on to as much as it can for as long as it can. If you’re exercising as much as you posted, you my need to add some calories through protein back to your daily total and increase your exercise to keep building muscle whic will help burn more fat. @AnnPT77 gave excellent advice.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    my 2 cents.. you're eating to few caloires and over exercising. I'd eat a few hundred more caloires and eat often during the day..and exercise but don't over do it.. I bet you lose a lot better.

Also..i found as I get older.. i'm just tired of dieting and it didn't work as well just becasue I feel like I had used up all my willpower. But I did finally recharge myself and I know I can lose weight anytime I want..I just have to do it.